Team-BHP - The Writing instruments thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Writing instruments thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/66511-writing-instruments-thread.html)

Hi All
I take this oppurtunity to start a writing instruments thread.
Writing instruments mean pens,mechanical pencils etc.
Bhpians plz post ur prized possesions of writing instruments.

Thanks
MSVG

To start off i own a large collection of pens some of them are
Cross -BallPoint-1
Cross -RollerBall-1
Sheaffer-Fountainpen-1(prelude collection)
Hero-Fountainpen-2
Parker-BallPoint-3

Planning to add Pelikan- ballpoint
Sheaffer-mechanical pencil(sentinal collection) and Ballpoint(prelude collection)

I remember how we used to fight with our parents in school for allowing us use pens instead of pencils. Then came the time when we finally graduated to pens and were told to use ink pens only. Those who had those Chinese ink pens were considered to be the lucky ones.

I actually dont remeber last when i used a pen to write something long. With the coming of internet. Most of the writing is done on the net.

Hence I wld say at the moment my writing instrument is my keyboard:)

I do have a Mont Blanc, but it stays packed as of now.

My prized possession is a Sheaffer Ink Pen that I inherited from my dad ! Also own a couple of Parkers but like Deky says above, they stay very much packed, the most writing I do in these times of the computer age is affixing my signature on various documents / instruments !

daily use best are the parker rollerball pens
for ceremonial use its nice to use a waterman or mont blanc though those are nowadays extremely common.
i also like the sheaffers and lamy's a lot.

however, a classy pen is no longer really an indicator of real 'class' the way that no longer is a classy watch or car or whatever, an indicator of 'class' - it just means that he / she who possesses one or more of these visible manifestations, has plenty of money at his/ her disposal!

this apart - some real pleasure can be derived from the act of writing/ signing using one of the marques of pens named above.

I have two Parker ballpens. Both are plastic, but I'm still fond of them. In fact, one of them was free --- from the stand of a once-major Unix server manufacturer that has long-since ceased to exist. But I still have their pen :)

But how come --- when I take them on a plane, with India-bought refills, the refills can't take the pressure difference and splurge out ink?

Apart from that, I would never be without a set of the Permanent OHP pens --- because they write on anything, glass, metal and all.

I do not ever buy expensive pens (or watches). I just don't think it is worth it, and I always loose them. With both pens and lighters (back in smoking days), the amount of time I kept them was always inversely proportional to the price. I've probably had my free Parker for a decade or more!

I saw a news item... 14 Lakh fountain pen manufactured in honour of Gandhiji. Isn't that rather missing the point of the life of a man whose trademarks were a handloom and a simple khadi dhoti?

well said. But my friend, today it is no longer about the "simple living and high thinking" philosophy. It is about "if you've got it, flaunt it" and how!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 1509060)
I saw a news item... 14 Lakh fountain pen manufactured in honour of Gandhiji. Isn't that rather missing the point of the life of a man whose trademarks were a handloom and a simple khadi dhoti?

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvg (Post 1508852)
Hi All
I take this oppurtunity to start a writing instruments thread.
Writing instruments mean pens,mechanical pencils etc.
Bhpians plz post ur prized possesions of writing instruments.

Thanks
MSVG

My office has a couple of dozen BIC's in the stationery cabinet all the time. Mostly I use those. I even took one of them home.

I'm not a collector, but I still treasure the pen my granddad bought sometime in the 50s and with which my mom wrote her degree exams in the early 60s. It's a Parker 51, teal blue in colour, and still writes well. The barrel, alas, has developed a crack. Initially I assumed the Parker 51 got its name because it was launched in 1951. Not so. Apparently it first hit the market experimentally in 1939, which was the 51st year of the founding of the Parker Pen Company. The pen is so well-known it's got a comprehensive website of its own.

Nice to find a thread on writing instruments. I have started collecting mechanical pencils. Like them a lot. Currently have a Lamy(AL-star), Sheaffer, Sanford (Phd) and a Sharp.... All this over a period of five years.

Now eyeing on Pentel sharp kerry.

Sanford Phd... Was using it for a long time, but the rubber grip worn off so much that it doesn't fit the groove and is moving to and fro, making it difficult to use.

Lamy AL-Star. Got this last year, the eraser cap is loose and falls off often. I have to careful not to lose it, as the pencil will ugly without the cap and the eraser sticking out the the pocket.

Now eyeing on Pentel sharp kerry. Has got some good reviews too...

Dave's Mechanical Pencils: Pentel Sharp Kerry P1035 Mechanical Pencil Review

Any idea which pens are used for calligraphy ? I am so much interested in calligraphy.

Pen is mightier than sword; now public forums are?

I want to get a Mount Blanc one day. For now I do with a Parker; more into keyboard use and hence handwriting getting worse day by day.

I have couple of Sheaffer , Parkers, some from grand mom. I should have two Parker, once fountain and another a ball point, made of silver; maybe I will find it (should be up somewhere in my house) and post it. Would it be of any value?

I Used to have a Red Ferrari Parker Ballpoint Pen with Red Ink. It got stolen along with half a dozen other Parkers That I had, including one in polished aluminium.

A couple of Parkers , a few Sheaffers, and a Pelikan.
Oh and also an Iridium tipped Mont Blanc, all fountain pens and all gifted to me by my late Grandfather (he had an awesome collection but most of it got stolen).

My first Parker and Sheaffer fountain pens were gifted to me in 1986 so been using them for a while now :D

I have a Sheaffer Ball point in Gold, another one in silver finish along with a Pencil, two Cross Silver. I have been dying to get a Mont Blanc Fountain since last 2 - 3 years and now this thread has again fuelled the desire.

I am fond of collecting pens, watches, perfumes, cuff links etc.