Team-BHP - How to learn conversational Kannada?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   How to learn conversational Kannada? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/68738-how-learn-conversational-kannada-6.html)

This is a very good site for the starters but unfortunately without someone with whom you can practice, this wont take you very far in conversations but will help you get some understanding of the words.

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/kannada/

So true, i always had issues adjusting earlier, i grew up in Bangalore so my kannada was a Bangalore style(Yen maga types;) when i used to visit Udupi(Kalyanpura) i had to cope with Kundapura, Mangalore..Kasorgod and Shimoga(Hosanagara) styles as my relatives are spread across these regions hehehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1574514)
:D However, if you cross the Kalyanpura bridge, they will say "Naa Batta, Innappa Hota".:uncontrol

There are dialects north-east of Kundapura, which even a Kundapura resident can't decipher.

Awesome thread. I would also love to learn Kannada.
dadu, thanks for the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1577567)
So true, i always had issues adjusting earlier, i grew up in Bangalore so my kannada was a Bangalore style(Yen maga types;) when i used to visit Udupi(Kalyanpura) i had to cope with Kundapura, Mangalore..Kasorgod and Shimoga(Hosanagara) styles as my relatives are spread across these regions hehehe

Did you end up saying "Yen Saavu Maare"?:)

lolz:D it was my grandmas and few other aunts favorite line hehehe
i used to use "yantha karma maare"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1577717)
Did you end up saying "Yen Saavu Maare"?:)

Is "Saku" Means Enough?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepclutch (Post 1577865)
Is "Saku" Means Enough?

Yup, thats right.

You can form a sentence like this "Swalpa saku" which means little is enough.

This can be answer given for this question" yeshtu beku?" How much you want?

Hi,

Please deciper the following:

How to learn conversational Kannada?-kannada1.jpg

I hope I have scanned it the right way!

@trrk

I can read and understand Telugu, and the script is pretty similar to Kannada.

I understand the first 3 letters because they are written exactly the same in Telugu. The last letter, I think, is either a 'da' or a 'dha'

So the word is Alinda or Alindha. (the first syllable rhymes with the word dull). I have no idea what this word means, though. Lets wait for the Kannada guys

It says Alinda, which is not a meaningful word in Kannada. I am fairly familiar with most dialects of Kannada and I don't recognise this.

It seems a L is missing. It could be "allinda" meaning - from there. BTW, the "d" in kannada doesn't have the "maatra for aa". So it is "alind". This has no meaning in Kannada. I don't know about the dialects.

Hi,

Thanks folks.

Alinda should be fine. Could be a name as this was taken down from an autograph book by my daughter's friend.

Since she knew that I have friends in Karnataka (where I studied), she thought I can find out.

Let me tell this and see whether this is what it is.

Thanks once again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 1591502)
It seems a L is missing. It could be "allinda" meaning - from there. BTW, the "d" in kannada doesn't have the "maatra for aa". So it is "alind". This has no meaning in Kannada. I don't know about the dialects.

Even the da is wrong, what is used here is da as in hindi word Dagar, rather than da as in Darti.

If its a name, its weird, have heard about Linda not A-Linda which means Not -Linda!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasadka (Post 1574681)
:OT Samurai,

Just saw this post. There are a lot of telegu speaking people in TN. Madurai especially was ruled by the Nicker kings, one of whom was the great Tirumalai Naicker.

Regards
Prasad

You mean they wore shorts !! just kidding!