Team-BHP - How to learn conversational Kannada?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   How to learn conversational Kannada? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/68738-how-learn-conversational-kannada-7.html)

Is it A.Linda :). But the initial is not written like that :)

It is verymuch possible its a name and the person who wrote it is not well versed with kannada or might be a kid as it does not look mature hand writing to me (If you look at the Aa part and the Da part)

In college when I used to get bored,I used to write the English notes in kannada and Kannada notes in English to keep myself amused sometimes during the classes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 1591720)
If its a name, its weird, have heard about Linda not A-Linda which means Not -Linda!!

It could be this:
Alinda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Folks,

The word is Alinda and it is the name of a girl.

Thanks for the help.

It was written down by a Std X girl unfamiliar with the script and language.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trrk (Post 1591554)
Alinda should be fine. Could be a name as this was taken down from an autograph book by my daughter's friend.

Alinda should ideally be ಅಲಿಂದ. The scan looks like ಅಲಿಂಡ (with a "hard" d).

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! (Post 1596499)
Alinda should ideally be ಅಲಿಂದ. The scan looks like ಅಲಿಂಡ (with a "hard" d).

Could be a copying error and the reason why I put in a scanned copy!

Quote:

In association with B PAC (Bangalore Political Action Committee), social entrepreneur and author Anil Shetty has come up with a simple idea to bridge the gap between Kannadigas and people who come from 'outside.'

A pocket sized four-page booklet with 34 Kannada words translated in English will be released in the next couple of days. These booklets will then be distributed to commuters by autodrivers, who are part of the Peace Auto initiative, also started by Shetty.
Source: Learn Kannada straight from your pocket

Pick a nice movie with good story and comedy. Watch it every day once for 30 days. You will pick dialogues one by one each day and there will be reinforcement of the already understood dialogues and words. You will end up basing your initial entire vocabulary on this movie dialogues.

Use that to converse with others who know kannada well. That will help you a lot in establishing the basics. Later by practice you will pick more.

I did learn Tamil and Telugu like this.

I am not an expert despite having been in Karnataka more than 10 years. Unless one gets several day to day opportunities to converse it is quite difficult to pick up any language.
So I lose no opportunity to speak to regular local people and service providers like the newspaper man, the milk man, the shop keepers, the neighbours that I encounter on my walks, the taxi drivers and auto drivers that I use. No better way than to keep using the language and making mistakes and learning from them. Also, when you are making a genuine effort, people appreciate it. I think it is a courtesy to learn the language as best you can, of the place you are living in.
The best such example I ve ever encountered in my life is my friend's wife who is a proper Punjabi Sikh. My friends family have been living in the Nilgiris for 130 odd years. When she married him and came to live in the Nilgiris, she learned to speak Tamil fluently in one year flat. When I complimented her, she stated very simply that having made a choice to come and live in the Nilgiris, the least she could do, was to learn the local language!
What an attitude! I take my hat off to such a wonderfully positive attitude!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 3430117)
I am not an expert despite having been in Karnataka more than 10 years. Unless one gets several day to day opportunities to converse it is quite difficult to pick up any language.
So I lose no opportunity to speak to regular local people and service providers like the newspaper man, the milk man, the shop keepers, the neighbours that I encounter on my walks, the taxi drivers and auto drivers that I use. No better way than to keep using the language and making mistakes and learning from them. Also, when you are making a genuine effort, people appreciate it. I think it is a courtesy to learn the language as best you can, of the place you are living in.
The best such example I ve ever encountered in my life is my friend's wife who is a proper Punjabi Sikh. My friends family have been living in the Nilgiris for 130 odd years. When she married him and came to live in the Nilgiris, she learned to speak Tamil fluently in one year flat. When I complimented her, she stated very simply that having made a choice to come and live in the Nilgiris, the least she could do, was to learn the local language!
What an attitude! I take my hat off to such a wonderfully positive attitude!

Its easier to learn local language when other family members use it regularly. Same thing with my aunt, she is north indian and uncle is kannada both living in bangalore, and my aunt speaks kannada fluently.

But problem comes when north indians families like mine who generally speak hindi at our homes, are expected to learn and interact in kannada. Problem is, with our hectic work schedules we hardly get any time to pick up and learn new language easily.

In my one year stay so far, i have been able to pick up only some fluently used words like sari, yeshtu, howdu,howda,beda etc. but nothing more than this.

P.S. I am a hindu punjabi born and bought up in delhi, and moved to blr a year back.

So, how would one say the following:

" I am trying to learn Kannada, so I am going to try and speak with you in Kannada. Please correct me when I make mistakes. Thank you."

Cheers

@Tilt, please remember that a word-to-word translation is neither practical nor possible. or required.

A better way to do it would be to use a similar language.
eg: Hindi. Both Hindi & Kannada use gender-specific words. In both languages, there are un-said words. Translation is easier between these two, than with English.

I have translated your sentence as below, but remember - this is just one of the ways to do it.
capital letters / double letters = stressed.
tt is not TT (like in putt)

nAnu Kannada kaliyaluttidene. = I am learning Kannada
nimma jothe Kannada.dalli mAtanAdalu prayatnisuvenu. = (I) will try to speak with you in Kannada
yenAdaru tappu Adare, heLi = Please let me know if I make any mistake.

Btw, what's the connection between Canada & Kannada ?

Hey, I was in Bangalore for 3 years during my younger days and I learnt kannada just by speaking to friends and they teaching me words and sentences. Now I can speak Kannada really fluently, much more fluently than my own state language Marathi.

Kannada eli matad beku dina din, yela artagte some months aage :D :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 3431129)
@Tilt, please remember that a word-to-word translation is neither practical nor possible. or required. *SNIP*
Btw, what's the connection between Canada & Kannada ?

Condor, thank you for helping.

Canada to Kannada - My wife and I are relocating to India ten days from now, and we are planning on living in BLR.

Cheers

This is a thread that is close to my heart. Please feel free to ask any doubts guys! Lohith rao, Samurai, condor - superb contribution. Hope I can contribute in some way.

This German lady is running around Mysore city speaking to locals in Kannada. She has very sharp ears, she has nailed the pronunciation of lots of words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MEJskzM37E