Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 17:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All the more reason not to believe it.
That was hillarious.

Quote:
It pays to know the local language for one simple reason, it is the language of the local government. And everybody needs to interact with the government one way or the other.
I will have to agree on this one.
Old 7th November 2009, 19:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi Muni,

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
We use Thanks in kannada freely in bangalore though Dhanyavaada is the kannada word. Kshamisi is for sorry or Pardon me.
If you observe, both words are similar to Hindi.
Thanks a lot. I remembered the word for 'sorry' well, but had forgotten Dhanyavaada. 'Thanks' is almost universal!

Though I can relate to Samurai's mention of 'upkaara', when I think of those days, 'thumba thanks' is what I remember using for expressing gratitude.

Last edited by trrk : 7th November 2009 at 19:46.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:33   #63
Senior - BHPian

Great initiative

Knowing many languages always helps a lot, am in process of learning Tamil and Malyalam

My contribution:

Swalapa Jagabidi: Can you move a bit
Hogona: lets go
Hegede: hows it?
Haaga or Houda: is it?
Heege: this way
Old 8th November 2009, 12:33   #64
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion Hondadude, and awesome document neoranjit. I think this is enough material to take a plunge. Now, its time to talk...

Tumba thanks!
Su-47
Old 8th November 2009, 21:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston.Martin View Post
@ Su-47, Are you married ? Get married to a Kannadiga (like me) and I bet you will be speaking Kannada before the next t-Bhp meet, its a matter of survival bro.
Really? Once you get married, how do you manage to get a word in sideways (Kannada or otherwise) .

My wife is amazing at languages, though. I think she speaks 7-8 now, including Kannada that she picked up when we came here about 3-4 years ago. I've started speaking in Kannada with the maid now and with others too, so I hope I can really pick it up as soon as possible. I'm ok with basic sentences now, just the verb conjugations really have me thinking.
Old 10th November 2009, 09:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kannada gets purer as you move further from Bangalore. I remember walking around in Mandya and hearing long unheard words.
And then we have region specific variations like Mangalore Kannada, North Karnataka Kannada etc. Even if someone manages with some basic Bangalore Kannada, it means nothing when they come face to face with native from Gulbarga
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 09:28   #67
Team-BHP Support

Neev hellodu Khare! Gyapthi Madikollutini.
Old 10th November 2009, 09:33   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

To learn a new language, it all starts with will and sensitivity to the culture and people around. Once those fundamentals are in place, picking up a language by hearing it being spoken in context is just a matter of time.
Old 10th November 2009, 09:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
And then we have region specific variations like Mangalore Kannada, North Karnataka Kannada etc. Even if someone manages with some basic Bangalore Kannada, it means nothing when they come face to face with native from Gulbarga
They are regional dialects, and can be found in all Indian languages.
Old 10th November 2009, 10:33   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
They are regional dialects, and can be found in all Indian languages.
Yes you are right! I am just pointing out that it will be difficult for a non native speaker to understand different dialects.

Quote:
Neev hellodu Khare! Gyapthi Madikollutini.
ಎಂತ ಮಹರಾಯರೇ ನೀವು? ನಮ್ಮ ಕುಡ್ಲದ ಕನ್ನಡ ಗೊತ್ತಿದ್ದರೆ ಎಲ್ಲಾ ಗೊತ್ತಿದ್ದ ಹಾಗೆ!
Old 10th November 2009, 11:31   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
ಎಂತ ಮಹರಾಯರೇ ನೀವು? ನಮ್ಮ ಕುಡ್ಲದ ಕನ್ನಡ ಗೊತ್ತಿದ್ದರೆ ಎಲ್ಲಾ ಗೊತ್ತಿದ್ದ ಹಾಗೆ!
However, if you cross the Kalyanpura bridge, they will say "Naa Batta, Innappa Hota".

There are dialects north-east of Kundapura, which even a Kundapura resident can't decipher.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th November 2009 at 11:33.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, if you cross the Kalyanpura bridge, they will say "Naa Batta, Innappa Hota".

There are dialects north-east of Kundapura, which even a Kundapura resident can't decipher.
All I know is that 'Hota' is a kind of goat which has a beard
So I guess I will stick to my 'Kudla' Kannada for now.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:41   #73
BHPian

Brief on migration

Quote:
All the more reason not to believe it. Actually it gets lot trickier.

I had a guru who was teaching me Silambam (ancient fighting art from TN), he was originally from Madurai area, settled in Bangalore. Then one day I hear him speaking Telugu to his mother. How do you classify him?

So, let's not worry about how much of who lives in Bangalore. It pays to know the local language for one simple reason, it is the language of the local government. And everybody needs to interact with the government one way or the other.
Samurai,

Just saw this post. There are a lot of telegu speaking people in TN. Madurai especially was ruled by the Nicker kings, one of whom was the great Tirumalai Naicker.

Likewise, there are a lot of Marathi speaking people in the Tanjore belt, who migrated with the Maratha rulers- Sambhoji maharaj etc.,

There is an interesting story that credits Sambhar to Sambhoji maharaj, who dropped tamarind accidentally in a pan of dal that was cooking. Apparently the king was a great cook who loved to experiment.

There is a similar population of tamils, that migrated to the erstwhile Chera kingdom, after being banished for paying their allegiance to the Chola ruler, while being ruled by the Pandya kings. You can still find a lot of tamil speaking people originate from Palakkad- they have a typically mallu tamil accent and originate from the Tanjore belt.

Regards
Prasad
Old 10th November 2009, 14:39   #74
BHPian

Nice thread. Good to know about multiple cultures.
Old 11th November 2009, 13:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
To learn a new language, it all starts with will and sensitivity to the culture and people around. Once those fundamentals are in place, picking up a language by hearing it being spoken in context is just a matter of time.
+ 1, . I knew a guy from Madurai who was in Bangalore for just a couple of months who spoke fluent Kannada and he could already understand Telugu. One of my cousins had a sardarji (no offence to Punjabis out here) who spoke Kannada very fluently.

In this era of globalisation, people should make an effort to learn the local language and culture and be sensitive towards them. This will help a great deal.

I guess learning Kannada in Bangalore would be more easy compared to inland Karnataka because of the mixing of English/Hindi words.

Coming back to the lesson

Neevu hege iddeera? - How are you?
Naanu Chennagi iddeeni? - I am fine

ee tarakaari ge eshtu rupayee? - How much for this vegetable?
ee tarakaari ge hatthu rupayee - This vegetable costs 10 rupees

Nimma car-u tumba chennagide - You car is very good
Houda? tumba dhanyavaadagalu - Is it? Thanks a lot

These are a few sentences you can practice with. It would be nice if such a thread came up for other languages as well.

Most Viewed