Team-BHP - The Weight Loss Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Weight Loss Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/68788-weight-loss-thread-20.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2687049)
Effect wise, which is better?
2 hour of cycling over two days with an hour each day.
OR
2 Hours of cycling(continuous) in one day and resting the next day.

I don't know the medical explanation but intuitively shorter bursts of intense exercise would presumably have a more beneficial effect. Seems to me you are risking injury by going at it 2 hours at a stretch, plus beyond a point your body may not be burning fat as effectively.

Quote:

I am used to these fluctuations of 1.5 kilos over a 24 hour period.
That's perfectly normal. Actress Gul Panag tweeted about this a couple of days ago and also gave some linky supporting it (can't find it now). One way around it to weigh yourself at exactly the same time of day having completed your workout and cooled down from it- that should reduce the error.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noopster (Post 2687229)
I don't know the medical explanation but intuitively shorter bursts of intense exercise would presumably have a more beneficial effect. Seems to me you are risking injury by going at it 2 hours at a stretch, plus beyond a point your body may not be burning fat as effectively.

What I felt was that the body is using the food for energy. Once its exhausted that then it will turn to what it has stored.

According to my experiences with Weight Loss the most important factor is Consistency.

Consistency in whatever you choose for weight loss - Work-out, Diet Plan, Jogging, Walking, etc.

People may have achieved 2 / 3 kgs weight loss after a week or fortnight's diet planning or work-out. But I have invariably seen them getting back to normal (increased) weight after couple of weeks because they stopped the weight loss program they started.

This is specially true for people who tend to gain weight faster than others who generally do not gain weight no matter what they do.

One will have to plan the Weight Loss Program (Diet or Excercise or Work-Out) atleast for one year & make sure to stick to it no matter what happens. This will make sure that in long run your mind & body will get used to this plan & you will experience force from within to maintain the new found body structure.

Thanks,

The key to consistent weightloss is managing a phase called the "plateau" that the body gets into. During any weightloss regimen, after a certain duration (~ 3 months), the body gets used to the exercise regimen being followed, and with that, also stops fat burning. During this phase, stamina continues to go up, but weightloss stops - and no amount of excess working out will change that.

This phase- when the body gets used to an exercise regimen and stops burning fat is called a plateau. To overcome this phase, the workout regimen must be changed regularly to continue to "shock" the body into burning fat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha09mel (Post 2684459)
So true!!
But now things have changed thanks to to my cousin brother who is a professional body builder and current Mr. India 2012 in his category (He has a polio is his left leg) hence they have a different category under which they compete.
He has charted out a workout and diet plan for me and OHH boy!! never been in such a good shape before.

impressive, I also found the diet chart he has posted.

» The Road to the Nationals Neulife Blog

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha09mel (Post 2684459)
He has charted out a workout and diet plan for me and OHH boy!! never been in such a good shape before.
Lost almost all the excess body fat but not the weight. Whenever I feel lethargic to work out I watch the video that he has posted on you tube and that makes me want to believe that nothing in impossible. Just believe in yourself and you can do it.

Congrats to your cousin brother!! And congrats to you for losing some fat. Mind sharing your diet plan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 2687741)
impressive, I also found the diet chart he has posted.

» The Road to the Nationals Neulife Blog

That is the diet plan which I follow called "Ketogenic Diet" of course not to the T. I have been advised to add carbs once during the day and it's normally during my lunch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_pulsar (Post 2687766)
Congrats to your cousin brother!! And congrats to you for losing some fat. Mind sharing your diet plan?

Thanks blue_pulsar. The diet plan as follows but keeping in mind that it has been advised based on my body weight which is 85kg. I have been advised 175gms of protein per/day, hence you need to understand that protein intake varies depending upon individual body weights.

I start my day at 6.00am with one scoop of whey protein with skim milk. Hit the gym by 6.30. Immediately post work out one scoop of whey with water. Breakfast at 8.45am consists of 2 full eggs boiled. 11.30/12 noon 4 boiled eggs. Lunch 2.30pm chapati + sabji with curd. 5.00pm one scoop of whey with skim milk. 7.30pm one scoop whey with water. 9.15pm Salad + curd + chicken 200gms. 11.00pm one scoop Casein powder with water. I follow a workout schedule of one day cardio and next day weights and workout only for 45 minutes each day.
Been following the above diet and workout schedule since past 3 months and the results have been impressive.
Hope it helps!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 2687439)
The key to consistent weightloss is managing a phase called the "plateau" that the body gets into.

An excellent article.
The Plateau Breakthrough Part 1 of 2 | Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit
Plateau Breakthrough Part 2 of 2 | Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit

Can someone suggest some exercise that would reduce some inches of tummy and thighs. Cycling is not helping much.

Turn neck left, and then right. Repeat a couple times when offered food :D

Jokes apart, there is no exercise for localized fat reduction. you need to burn more calories, and sometimes because of heredity or hormonal issues, it needs a lot more effort than others to achieve your goal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rki2007 (Post 2705189)
Can someone suggest some exercise that would reduce some inches of tummy and thighs. Cycling is not helping much.

What kind of terrain are you cycling on?
How much time do you spend cycling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost

What kind of terrain are you cycling on?
How much time do you spend cycling.

I am using a stationary exercise cycle for 30-40 minutes

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
Turn neck left, and then right. Repeat a couple times when offered food :D

Jokes apart, there is no exercise for localized fat reduction. you need to burn more calories, and sometimes because of heredity or hormonal issues, it needs a lot more effort than others to achieve your goal.

Your post didn't add any meaning to me. Who said there is no exercise for a particular area fat reduction. Aerobics and floor exercise can help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rki2007 (Post 2705283)
Your post didn't add any meaning to me. Who said there is no exercise for a particular area fat reduction. Aerobics and floor exercise can help.

Spot reduction is a myth. There is no exercise which can target fat reduction from a particular body part.

Aerobic exercises would help you to reduce fat from all areas of the body, including tummy and thighs.

Apart from cycling, you could try brisk walking, jogging, swimming, climbing stairs etc.

You could also do some strength training in addition to cardio. This would also help in reducing fat.

Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by rki2007 (Post 2705283)
Who said there is no exercise for a particular area fat reduction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan_iitr (Post 2705488)
Spot reduction is a myth. There is no exercise which can target fat reduction from a particular body part.

There is, crunches for reduction around belly. In my last 3 years of excessive exercising (Running ~8KM in 45 mins or playing badminton for ~ an hour) i have become fitter and my stamina has gone through the roof (as i do not get tired after full days work), my sleep had been better (I sleep and in a snap its morning), but i have not lost weight (As fats is converting into muscle) and was still having some fluffiness around belly.

With crunches (do approx 5 sets of 10 i.e. 50 crunches), the fluffiness is melting. So if your goal is not weight reduction, its easier to deal with extra padding around waist.