Team-BHP - The Weight Loss Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Weight Loss Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/68788-weight-loss-thread-200.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5256257)
On the contrary, Intermittent fasting as lifestyle is the only strategy that works for most people without too much of a workout/exercise dependent regime. Weight loss becomes sustainable when intermittent fasting is adopted as a lifestyle and is quite forgiving despite the odd carb based (cheat) meal.

Just read up posts on this thread over the last few years and you will find enough real world, first hand experiences and testimonials overwhelmingly in favour of Intermittent fasting :)

:thumbs up You have exactly echoed my thoughts! IF is a life-style change and should not be looked at as a weight loss technique. IF has made a huge huge difference to my food life-style. I used to have a bad habit of eating snacks late in the night and all of that has disappeared thanks to IF.

Now-a-days I am following OMAD for the past few weeks and it has become sustainable.

Weight Loss is an added bonus of IF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 5256244)
Dietary fat does not lead to obesity and health issues, but carbs do. That misinformation about dietary fat being bad for health has been proved wrong.

I absolutely agree.

I was merely stating on top of what was shared earlier.
I limit myself to 4 or 5 breads at max.
Or, otherwise I make oatmeal with poached full eggs. I also mix walnuts and honey to make my plain oatmeal taste better.

Point being, I make the foods taste better. I don't crave for cheat meals. And I hope to keep it that way.

I don't drink or smoke. No calorie intake in the form of juice, I prefer raw fruits.

I often enjoy popcorn for snacks.

Additionally, I am pretty active. 5 day of gym in the morning and 5 days of badminton in the evening.
I also walk daily, averaging 15000 steps often.
So, I keep carbs intake slightly high.

Again, I agree with the age factor you mentioned. I'm 33 and I can probably push myself more, physically while still trying to keep injuries at bay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5256269)
I understand your point of view. Probably you a meant diet based life style is difficult to sustain. And I agree to that. The absence or lack of diet (or for that matter food being more apt) is actually much easier to sustain.

Absolutely!

HUNGRY KYA?

When one gets tired of/gets used to IF, one graduates(?) to OMAD.

It isn't really difficult per se; Indian culture in its various avatars has embedded and encouraged fasting as a way of life. Some do it weekly, others undertake this once a month or at certain predefined or self decided intervals. Though it is inherently a spiritual exercise, the accompanying health benefits are hard to miss.

Being neither religious nor deeply spiritual, I have never had the good sense to fast, even when insisted upon by well wishers.

Though never a heavy eater, I always had to have my meals at the usual times, on the dot. Even a five minute delay would infuriate me to no end. I remember an incident from my childhood when a ceremony was taking place at home and instead of participating in it, I forced someone to serve me some food in the attic.

The last three years have however been a revelation. It has shown me the extent to which I can stretch myself thin. Beginning with a missed evening snack, extending it to skipping dinner and now to just One Meal A Day, I have learnt to live with less.

My usual IF duration is 18-6; it is almost a daily ritual. But when family requirements and social obligations force me to feed on something in the evenings, I skip breakfast the next day. After the usual lunch, I refrain from eating anything till the next afternoon. The IF is resumed and normalcy achieved by having breakfast the next morning.

Let me pause here and clarify that fasting is not starving. I have enough nutrition and energy to sustain me through the blank phases. Just that instead of food, I source my energy from the fat already stored (in excess, obviously) in my body.

Also, I have found skipping dinner to be a better alternative than forgoing breakfast. With the eating window strictly closed at 2PM, I do not eat any snacks, drink coffee/tea in the evenings: no dinner, fruits, desserts or milk too. Absolutely nothing until 8AM the next day.

In between, I have sweat inducing physical activities between 5-8PM and 4-7AM - towards the beginning and ending of the fasting windows.

The process has held me well.

Except of course when my kid teases me saying that OMAD is indeed an apt acronym because Only MAD people can skip the pleasures of food voluntarily, I can't really challenge it :D.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 5255910)
In my case, there are no ifs and buts with IF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asish_VK (Post 5255717)
Looks like this thread gone to snooze mode for some time.

Let me kick start it again.

Current Weight : 94Kg
Height : 178cm
Diet : LCHF [trying to stick to 16:8 IF]
Activities : Walking + Body weight exercises at home

Glad that this caused a sudden revival of this thread :D

Quick update on the progress after 2 weeks

Current Weight : ~88-89Kg
Diet : LCHF [16:8 IF is not maintained due to fluctuation in office time]
Activities : Walking + Body weight exercises at home - But not as I intended , due to Laziness :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asish_VK (Post 5255717)
Current Weight : 94Kg
Diet : LCHF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asish_VK (Post 5264910)
after 2 weeks
Current Weight : ~88-89Kg

You have lost 5-6 kgs in such short duration (11/02/2022 to 23/02/2022). Dont you think it is a bit too much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 5264929)
You have lost 5-6 kgs in such short duration (11/02/2022 to 23/02/2022). Dont you think it is a bit too much?

Is it really ? I don't know. May be its the so called "water weight"

I haven't starved myself or did excessive workouts.
Neither do I feel tired, in fact feels more energetic than last month.

I guess my body is very sensitive to carbs. Last time when I did keto, I've lost 8-9 kg in a month.
Also I gain weight very fast if I let go off my eating control for a week.

PS: Actually started this on 09/02/2022. posted on 11th

1 month Update:

Current Weight : 86Kg

Guess I was right about the Water weight :D
Walking is still not consistent. I'm skipping many days due to Laziness. Hoping to hit the Gym by month end and slowly coming out of LCHF and having balanced meals [still low carb].

I've started my intermittent fasting routine for the first time (18:6, skip dinner).
Any suggestions for indian food for lunch which is easily available that will help beat hunger and keep myself fuller longer ?
Want to keep consumption of eggs and meat minimal till the end of summer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjinkyaP (Post 5277451)
I've started my intermittent fasting routine for the first time (18:6, skip dinner).
Any suggestions for indian food for lunch which is easily available that will help beat hunger and keep myself fuller longer ?

Start with something more manageable. Like 13:11 . Gradually increase to16:8 or 18:6 . Doing 18:6 from Day 1 may be hard on your body and mind and may even demotivate you

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjinkyaP (Post 5277451)

Green Gram "cheelas". Soak green gram for 2-3 hours. Grind it to a paste with ginger/chilli/salt/condiments etc. Make pan-cakes/dosa style.

Extremely high in proteins and stays long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 5277595)
Green Gram "cheelas". Soak green gram for 2-3 hours. Grind it to a paste with ginger/chilli/salt/condiments etc. Make pan-cakes/dosa style.

Extremely high in proteins and stays long.

Ohh, i think i've seen this in many street food vlogs.
Moonglet(Moong daal omelet) is what they call it , though it might not be exactly healthy in its street side avatar with loads of butter poured all over it lol:
Will definitely try this !

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjinkyaP (Post 5277655)
...though it might not be exactly healthy in its street side avatar with loads of butter poured all over it lol:

"Butter not healthy" is a myth that is already broken. I would recommend adding a dollop of butter when you try this dish at home.

You can also try salted almonds for snack - 15 or 20 nuts. They are healthy and filling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjinkyaP (Post 5277655)
Ohh, i think i've seen this in many street food vlogs.
Moonglet(Moong daal omelet) is what they call it , though it might not be exactly healthy in its street side avatar with loads of butter poured all over it lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 5277657)
"Butter not healthy" is a myth that is already broken. I would recommend adding a dollop of butter when you try this dish at home.

You can also try salted almonds for snack - 15 or 20 nuts. They are healthy and filling.

Like Graaja mentioned butter is fine. But on street food many make this even with Yellow Moong. And I think many add rice flour to make it bind. But you need to make it with Green Gram without any flour. It usually works with a non-stick. (Again am no culinary expert. I just try! :) )

Something worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V06TEjDJNAA

Go easy is the key here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asish_VK (Post 5274502)
1 month Update:

Current Weight : 86Kg

Guess I was right about the Water weight :D
Walking is still not consistent. I'm skipping many days due to Laziness. Hoping to hit the Gym by month end and slowly coming out of LCHF and having balanced meals [still low carb].

47 days update :

Current Weight : 84.1Kg
Diet : Came out of LCHF, but still low carb (No rice products, no sugar & junk food).
IF is followed (16-8 or 15-9 whichever possible)

Regularly walking/jogging everyday morning for about 45mins-1hr , Followed by a 20-25 mins of moderate HIIT, bodyweight routine at home (with YouTube)

Looking to hit the gym once office gym opens next week.

LCHF + IF definitely helped me to kickstart the weight loss and give enough motivation

Also, if anyone looking to reduce weight or maintain, I will highly recommend buying a personal weighing machine. It helps keeping track of your weight and make you conscious about your weight changes.