Team-BHP - The Weight Loss Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Weight Loss Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/68788-weight-loss-thread-207.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 5465676)
Is there any correlation between someone passing away at 40 and weight loss diet followed by her?

Regarding your question, weight (actually fat) is a fitness indicator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_syndrome

It is a combination of genetics & lifestyle which causes it, lifestyle contribution is far greater and controllable.

There is always a correlation between a healthy lifestyle and living longer, the lady died after her sugar levels dropped and went into a coma. A school should concentrate on the financial health of parents and make education affordable for all sections of society. Assuming every fat person is unhealthy and every lean person is healthy is becoming like a social stigma, that should be kept out of school campuses.

There have been some videos about Narayana Nethralaya's Dr Bhujang Shetty. He himself was type 2 diabetic and reversed it following low carb plan. Now he has a clinic in his hospital where he tests and recommends diet plan. He reportedly took 10 tablets including for cholesterol etc. He is now off all medications.

His plan even considers millets as carb source:sadface

But for people who want to practice prevention it points towards cultivating a low in take of any carb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deehunk (Post 5465801)
There is always a correlation between a healthy lifestyle and living longer, the lady died after her sugar levels dropped and went into a coma.

Not disputing the cause of death, all I am asking is that is there a correlation between sugar level dropping and "weight loss diet"?

Human body produces glucagon that converts glycogen stored in liver and muscles to glucose. So, a situation of "low blood sugar" should actually never arise unless one is on a drug that deliberately pulls the blood sugar levels down.

Quote:

Assuming every fat person is unhealthy and every lean person is healthy is becoming like a social stigma, that should be kept out of school campuses
I can understand that this could be a disputable topic, but most of the recommendations are based on average based on observations on a large set of human population.
Is your point more to do with "body shaming" in school / psychological issues associated?

Regarding weight loss and fitness, before starting anything, consult a cardiologist and endocrinologist rather than influencers. Either be physically active or physically fit with food intake accordingly. I think getting rid of addiction to one particular food style is key to the success of a diet program rather than a complete change of food habits. Yes, body shaming is a social evil and very much prevalent on school campuses just like the dark skin and fair skin comparison.

What should be a good post workout supplement to take daily after 30 minutes of light weight training followed by a 2 KM run. Time: 5 hours after lunch and 3 hours before dinner. Please advice. Trying to lose weight but the final 5 kg to my goal is getting tough.

Anyone here tried semaglutide, or any of its trade names - Wegovy, Rybelsus, Ozempic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 5415595)
I have remained in the sub 60kg zone for more than 40 months at a stretch. The last vestiges of fat around the waist remains though.

Just an update.

Recently, I crossed 1,550 days of continuous completion of 10,000 steps a day target. Though 10K was an arduous mountain to climb initially, these days it is just a way point enroute to approximately 17-18k steps. 20k is generally the norm now.

That said, unless one focuses on what, when and how much one eats, steps/walking alone cannot ensure weight control. Also, once the body gets used to a regime, it starts expecting a bit more effort to lose the same amount of weight as earlier. For instance, ten kilometres of rigorous walk in the morning hardly makes me sweat now; my t-shirt used to be dripping wet earlier. Ergo, even if I eat the same amount of food as I did earlier and even after exercising with the same intensity and for the same duration, I do end up gaining a few hundred grams. It is a small addition, but an addition nevertheless; one, that if left unaddressed, will slowly turn the clock back. Also, unless the body receives an extensive workout, it won't remain tight. Even without gaining weight, our shape and size sees an increase - others may not notice it but your own shirts and trousers will tell you the tale every time you put them on!

But as one ages, the condition of knee and other prominent joints can't really be risked and hence even a sliver of extra effort has to be carefully thought out and executed. HIIT could be of help here. I am yet to give it a serious look though.

Another hindrance is the chalta hain attitude. Whereas I was strictly off sugar earlier, nowadays, when friends insist, or when I don't want to stand out in company, I end up eating sweets. Slowly, but steadily, they find their way to my waist and face.

IF, if practiced regularly and with care, helps. Contrary to generic beliefs, being foodless for 16, 18, 20 or even 24 hours doesn't actually exacerbate stomach problems. On the contrary, I can claim with conviction that my guts are not only stronger but are cleaner and healthier than before. However (there's always a caveat, ain't there!), IF, OMAD and other such measures carry with them the danger of overcompensating for the fasting period by hogging everything in sight. In spite of my conviction, I must admit that I have occasionally been guilty of this misdeed!

Over the last four years I have realised the truth that remaining on top is more difficult and complicated than reaching there. One has to (literally) keep running even to stay in the same place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 5474825)
Anyone here tried semaglutide, or any of its trade names - Wegovy, Rybelsus, Ozempic?

Its the next best thing as the latest discovery. However do not touch the stuff till you have a doctors recommendation.

I’ve been told I can have it as a ‘pre diabetic’ but I’m consulting atleast 2 more diabetologists before going near it.

Thing is, if one follows the no alcohol and no sugar and the 16:8 IF method and does reasonable exercise and keeps reasonably active, one should be good.

Personally I’m only wishing to take doctor prescribed medication and do every thing else the natural way.

Listen to Graaja. He had been there and done that before the rest of us. If required, write to him personally and take advice. That's what I do if in doubt.

Its been 9 months of the improved lifestyle behaviour change now for me. I am keenly awaiting the 10 month and the 1 year marks to do the spot checks and re-calibration as required.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 5508740)
Over the last four years I have realized the truth that remaining on top is more difficult and complicated than reaching there. One has to (literally) keep running even to stay in the same place.

The trick is simple: Once the body gets adapted to a high metabolism (like running/walking/workout etc.), like you said its get more efficient to survive with minimum intake. So over time you need to see how to proportionally reduce intake as well. IF helps here big time.

There is another trick which you can use to control the hogging part. Keep your eating window during the office working hours and more importantly get food from home (if you have started going back to office). You will never hog then! Because there is no more a reason to step out and eat. Also if you have like minded friends (who run/eat healthy etc. at work/social circle; that's another big plus)

Also plan to close your day early in the evening and not late into the night. That way you don't give your brain any reason to wander off into the junk food pile in the kitchen/refrigerator.

I started taking health seriously around 2 years ago, before which I was on and off.

Massive shout outs to my friend Abhishek (sibun for the bike forum folk) and Aditi (my trainer for 1.5 years).

Proper diet (calorie deficit, no yo yo dieting) and workouts.

Cardio in the form of daily brisk walking upto 12 km and at times swimming/badminton in addition.
Most importantly, 7+ hours of sleep every night for the past 23 months.

Started at 94.x kilos. Over the years of misuse and few accidents, I started with a very troubled shoulder, right elbow and weak lower back. So, the first half of the regimen was consciously dedicated to stability rather than strength.
The goal was to go home without any more pain that I already had.

So my bench press started with 2.5 kg dumbbells with the idea of learning correct form, tempo (time under tension) and how to control the weight in space.

This is how I looked a few months after starting my regimen.

The Weight Loss Thread-img20220228wa001001.jpeg

My current BMR is around 2030 calories and I do my best to eat less calorie dense foods and restrict my diet to under 1800 calories daily. I eat everything, just under control (portion sizes) because I have to have enough juice to power through 10+ hours in office almost daily.

And this was a shot from my last back day this week. I still have kettle bells for love handles but I'm absolutely loving the process. There's no hurry to lose any weight, as it will eventually come back quicker in that case.

I'm currently at 80.1 kg and healthy with no pain in any joints at all. Dumbbell bench which started at 2.5 kg now stands at 25 kg.

Irrespective of the body part, I use a timer to time all my sets to a minimum of 12-15 reps and 40 seconds with progressive overload till failure. I think this approach has paid off.

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20230404_08034801.jpeg

I shall keep the thread updated in the months to come. :)

I am 32 and had been obese for a while, hovering around 110-125 kgs since last 14 years. Have tried multiple times to hit the gym, taken up cycling briefly and went dieting but I couldn't sustain any of these. The best I could ever achieve was a decent 6-7 kg weight loss.

Sometime last year, a friend motivated me a lot to start some exercise or sports. After contemplating a lot and pushing my lazy self to task, I started off from 118 kgs in July 2022 with a little bit of portion control and kickboxing for an hour thrice a week. Also switched to using the staircase more often than taking an elevator.

I did not have any weight target in mind so firstly I went for a full body checkup. Some of those figures were alarmingly high, but thankfully nothing that could not be fixed.

Also, I did not want to follow a diet that I cannot sustain in the long run. So I focused on food that makes me happy, including desserts and junk. However, I was adamant on portion control.

6-7 months later, sometime in early January 2023, I was 91 kgs, a good 27 kgs down, with a much active lifestyle, a much better sleep cycle and a more focused mind.

In mid January however I had with a minor injury with a ligament tear in my right ankle which restricted my movement heavily specially the workout part. But my appetite was less and I continued with yoga and some upper body exercises. Although I haven't hit the boxing studio since this injury, but I'm happy to say that 3 months later I still weigh the same, hovering between 90-92 kgs.

Also recently got a full body checkup done and I am pretty happy with the results.

Sharing a few pictures of this journey -

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20220220_1337540101.jpeg

The Weight Loss Thread-img20220902wa002201.jpeg

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20220728_20585001.jpeg

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20221120_11224301.jpeg

The Weight Loss Thread-img20221030wa007601.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by //M (Post 5525971)
I am 32 and had been obese for a while, hovering around 110-125 kgs since last 14 years.....3 months later I still weigh the same, hovering between 90-92 kgs.

Also recently got a full body checkup done and I am pretty happy with the results.

Congratulations @///3M on this very commendable achievement. You are looking fitter and healthier. Power to you. Best of luck for your onward journey on this road to good health.

https://twitter.com/martykendall2/st...534444032?s=20

For all the LCHF fans, this discussion is a good read to dispel any wrong notions about overeating fats. While I don't entirely agree with Marty Kendall's premise on issues related with nutrition (concepts such as satiety per calorie, emphasis on using low-fat, low-carb options etc) or his unfounded criticisms of few of the doyens in the field, he has a point here. Even Dr Steve Phinney, who coined the term 'nutritional ketosis', emphasises that it is the carb restriction/exercise, rather than fat addition that helps with reaping the metabolic benefits of ketogenic diet (by bringing the serum ketone levels up). Also, Marty Kendall's(originally Dr Ted Naiman's P:E diet ) approach may be of some help to someone who's having weight loss stalls/ not satisfied with LCHF/ MFHP/ intermittent fasting. As usual, Dr Phinney's team at Virta has a nice article on this issue as well! "How to Break a Weight Loss Plateau on a Low Carb Diet" (https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/bre...ateau-low-carb

P.S.: For people who are scientifically curious/wish to learn regarding nuts and bolts of ketogenic diet, one of the doyens, Prof Tim Noakes(the man behind The nutrition network/The real food revolution movements) released a textbook a few weeks back. Yet to read it myself, but knowing Prof Noakes, this should be a very nice read!https://nutrition-network.org/ketoge...international/

I have shared my experience with the Herbalife product-based weight loss program on this thread. I had no other alternative solution to reduce my weight because of my weak back and could not risk another surgery.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...e-harmful.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee (Post 5382108)
I am now more motivated than ever to get my weight back down.

Happy to provide a progress update. December 26 2022, weighed in at 98.50Kgs.
The Weight Loss Thread-img_3459.jpg

22nd October 2023. Hit my target after 10 months. Weighed in at 78.40kg.
The Weight Loss Thread-img_4651.jpg

Since then have been able to sustain this weight with +-200g fluctuation. This is me now.
The Weight Loss Thread-img_4637.jpg

Pant size has gone down from 34 to 30.T-Shirt/Shirt size has gone down from XL to L or even M in some brands.

Stamina and Strength is much improved.

This was achieved via Intermittent Fasting (2 meals in a day). Avoiding Processed sugars as much as possible. Regular exercise. I still indulged myself every now and then but always made sure to compensate for it in the following days.