Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 00:29   #1
BHPian

Broken Collar Bone Report

Is it only me in this site who broke collar bone or anybody there? Lets' see.

I broke my right collar bone and 2 ribs on sep19 on a high speed car crash. I was on figure 8 brace and a sling and religiously used them for 6 weeks, some times removed them for showers. On 6 week appointment doctor suggested me to remove both brace and sling and referred me to physio Therapy department. In PT, they asked me to do pendulum movement, crawling fingers on wall blah blah, which i'm doing. However i've lot of pain on my shoulder which i'm not sure if it's due to stiffness or due to accident and some pain on my collar bone also.
Old 12th November 2009, 02:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the successful treatment. Did you get a check X-ray at 6 week follow-up? Considering that clavicle fracture is the commonest fracture, I am sure a lot of people have had your experience. Do continue your physiotherapy regularly.
Old 12th November 2009, 05:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Akas,

I feel your pain man, I've broken my collar bone (and quite a few others) in the past. Infact I am currently trying to heal some of the nerves and other road rash I got in a recent accident. Sadly right now all I can say is that give it time and it should be better. If its still not better in a month or so then its a cause for worry and you should get it looked at. Trouble is the ortho's in India are mostly like businessmen. Once you're billed and treated for your initial trauma they dont care at all. Whatsoever! No matter where you go. All they will ask you to do is suck it uo and wait. Which is kind of bad but there is nothing you can do. I am infact worried about some recurrent pain in my right knee which should have gone away but all they say is give it time. Ditto for the nerve damage. All they have to say is that it takes time blah blah when infect it scares the **** out of me at times that there is a area on my body which is completely numb (like local anesthesia) I also recommend going through some online forums dedicated to medical problems. But they will make you feel more paranoid to a certain extent. Be in touch sometimes all you need is someone to talk to.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

LOL i have broken bones including collar, which was not diagnosed on time so left to heal a lil crooked Its one of the useless bones i guess.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:05   #5
BANNED

You have a company here. I too broke my right collar bone in 2005 as the Gypsy we were travelling toppled down between the Gurdwara and Philips Millenia curve thrice (Ulsoor). It was just the stupidity of my friend who drove the vehicle on that day to show of the tyre grip while speed cornering and neglected others warnings.

Last edited by wildon : 12th November 2009 at 11:06.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
You have a company here. I too broke my right collar bone in 2005 as the Gypsy we were travelling toppled down between the Gurdwara and Philips Millenia curve thrice (Ulsoor). It was just the stupidity of my friend who drove the vehicle on that day to show of the tyre grip while speed cornering and neglected others warnings.
How long did it take to recover fully? Do you feel any pain or abnormality now?
Old 12th November 2009, 11:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Hi Akas,

I feel your pain man, I've broken my collar bone (and quite a few others) in the past. Infact I am currently trying to heal some of the nerves and other road rash I got in a recent accident. Sadly right now all I can say is that give it time and it should be better. If its still not better in a month or so then its a cause for worry and you should get it looked at. Trouble is the ortho's in India are mostly like businessmen. Once you're billed and treated for your initial trauma they dont care at all. Whatsoever! No matter where you go. All they will ask you to do is suck it uo and wait. Which is kind of bad but there is nothing you can do. I am infact worried about some recurrent pain in my right knee which should have gone away but all they say is give it time. Ditto for the nerve damage. All they have to say is that it takes time blah blah when infect it scares the **** out of me at times that there is a area on my body which is completely numb (like local anesthesia) I also recommend going through some online forums dedicated to medical problems. But they will make you feel more paranoid to a certain extent. Be in touch sometimes all you need is someone to talk to.
Yes i can also understand what you mean. Actually i broke 1 right clavicle and 2 ribs. Doctor said ribs should be fine now, but i need to take care of my collar bone and do not pick anything heavier than 0.5 kg. It's been 2 months around and god knows how long it'll take to recover.

Talked to couple of people who broke the same and it took around 6 months for them to recover. I understand recovery time is dependent on person to person and it also matters what's your eating/drinking/smoking habit.
Old 12th November 2009, 12:00   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
How long did it take to recover fully? Do you feel any pain or abnormality now?
I didn't felt the pain after the accident and i was unaware that i broke my collar bone. I realized it when i came back home after the incident and went for a quick shower. While trying to remove my T-Shirt its was like Ouch.

There was a clear bulge which i was able to see when i removed the T-shirt and stood in front of the mirror. Immediately i rushed to Manipal Hospital to join with other friends whom had came for some "painting" and "dent" work after this incident.

The felt the paint when the Doctor tried to put it back to the slot with his hands. A minute later i was fainted. When i got back to the conscious stage after a minute or so , he said its all fine now. Take rest for at least 3 weeks.
I was with the supporting for 4 weeks and done some exercises after the removal of supportings.

They also wrote a Pain killer incase if i needed.

One point missed out:- Every alternate day i was in Manipal Hospital to take a Sponge Bath. It was a pretty good experinece. and its one of those occasions you say "Thank god for breaking my Collar bone"

About the recovery it took me 4 months to recover fully although the supporting were took out after the 4th week. But when in extreme cold weather i still feel some pain on that portion even in 2009.

Last edited by wildon : 12th November 2009 at 12:11.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:22   #9
BHPian

It's more than 3 months, i still have lot of problems in my shoulder.
Thaks to high speed crash and direct impact my shoulder took while car hit the tree. Now i've impingement syndrome. So it's quite painful while moving arms above my head.

I'm doing physio therapy. Doctor asked me to come after another 1.5 months, if still not improvement by that time they will use "Manipulation under anesthesia".

I asked about driving, he said you can drive. While i asked if i can ride my bullet, he said may be after 2 months.

This accident learnt me one thing: patience. I've now my bullet parked in parking lot and i can not ride. I can drive, but my car is still getting repaired, thanks to incompetent staffs at maruti, who did not organize things what to order and it gets delayed.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Akas,

I understand the pain you are under going. One cannot imagine the pain we get after the effect of the pain killer vanishes. Terrible after anesthesia becomes normal. Of course I had fracture in the anklet and it was fixed with plate. They did a good treatment. I am o.k now but still I limb at times. Take care of your health.
Old 20th December 2009, 21:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I asked about driving, he said you can drive. While i asked if i can ride my bullet, he said may be after 2 months.
Please be patient. Don't rush things. Let your injury heal completely. I have known of cases where the bone broke in the same place for a second time. And if that happens, it will take a lot of healing. Never give any room for that.

Last edited by Gansan : 20th December 2009 at 21:52.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:50   #12
BHPian

Thanks Gansan & Navan49.
Broken collar bone takes a lot of time to heal. I think this is one of the slowest recovering bone in body and leaves many complications in accident cases.
Yeah i do not have any other options except be patience. Sometimes i feel like riding and i do that in my parking lot with minimal use of fractured shoulder.
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Actually the collar bone is the fastest healing bone in the body. (Of course excluding spongy bones). It is sticky in about 4 weeks and healed by 6 weeks. You can start lifting weights by 3 months. And a MUA is done for stiffness. For impingement, a minor surgery is required.
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Gansan & Navan49.
Broken collar bone takes a lot of time to heal. I think this is one of the slowest recovering bone in body and leaves many complications in accident cases.
Yeah i do not have any other options except be patience. Sometimes i feel like riding and i do that in my parking lot with minimal use of fractured shoulder.
Nothing to worry buddy, it does take a lotttt of time to completely heal.

Just one caution - Dont lift heavy objects at all for another 2 months. Apply hot-water packs in the morning before You start the day and before You sleep. Use cold packs only when You feel too much of pain. I am also told, the pain would increase during the winter season.

My wife's been suffering from the same for the past 4 months, and she still has pain behind the shoulder region every day. We got the help of three wonderful physio's who helped my wife recover better. If You need info, please PM me.

Take Care.
Old 28th December 2009, 19:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Nothing to worry buddy, it does take a lotttt of time to completely heal.

Just one caution - Dont lift heavy objects at all for another 2 months. Apply hot-water packs in the morning before You start the day and before You sleep. Use cold packs only when You feel too much of pain. I am also told, the pain would increase during the winter season.

My wife's been suffering from the same for the past 4 months, and she still has pain behind the shoulder region every day. We got the help of three wonderful physio's who helped my wife recover better. If You need info, please PM me.

Take Care.
Thanks Rocky. I've PM'd you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks