Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2009, 10:29   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The card in question is not verified by visa. Never had the chance yet.
Hi Sam, sorry to know that your card had been misused. Few months back RBI made it mandatory for all credit card either to be Verified by Visa or Master card Secure and every bank requested it's customers to generate the secure code accordingly. Even I use ICICI credit cards and I have generated Visa secure code for all the 3 that I hold.

Please go ahead and register your ICICI credit card for 3D secure service. The following link would help.

https://www.3dsecure.icicibank.com/A...main/index.jsp

You could also read about the RBI directive by accessing the following link:

RBI secures online credit card transactions
Old 7th January 2010, 16:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

I got an sms alert that my HDFC card was used for Rs 640.00 in some shop at Worli (Mumbai, I presume) at 10.40 AM today. I got the alert at 11.15 AM. I was surprised as the card was in my pocket and I was sitting at my office in Chennai! I don't have an add on card either.

Immediately called up HDFC Bank card support and informed them. They told me to download a disputed charge form, fill up the details and drop it at the ATM box. They say they will give an interim credit to cancel this debit and investigate the matter and if my claim is found to be erroneous, it will be debited back later. I requested them to block my card immediately and replace it. They said I will be charged Rs 100.00 for it which was ok with me. Small price to pay for peace of mind. Thankfully their blocking is instantaneous, no 24 or 48 hour waiting period!

I wanted to know whether the transaction was online or pop swiping. They promised to call me back tomorrow morning with the details. I last used the card on 5th to book railway tickets online. I went through both verified by visa as well as netsafe (a facility where you create a virtual card for the exact transaction value, which is destroyed after a single usage). I am wondering if my data could have been captured online. Even if it was, it will be enough to make an online buy, but not to make a duplicate card IMO. Can someone please enlighten me?

Another possibility is that the card was passed through a data capture machine at some place where I used it. I can make a surmise as soon as I know if it was an online or physical transaction.

I am perfectly happy with the way the matter was handled by HDFC Bank cards, no complaints there. Connection to the customer care executive was instant.

Last edited by Gansan : 7th January 2010 at 16:29.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:36   #48
BHPian

Fake ICICI Credit card transactions in China

My wife holds an ICICI credit card. Back in August 2012 , she received SMS's that her credit card was charged in China and exhausted her complete credit limit.

She and I were in US at that time and the credit card was in her possession in USA. This obviously meant that the credit card number was stolen and a fake credit card created and used in a Few china stores.

Ever since we disputed the transaction out of the total 5 transactions , we got 2 in our favour, 1 pending and 2 against us.

Firstly ICICI delayed the whole decision for a long long time. But since I copied the Mumbai Banking ombudsman on the reply to icici they have atleast started responding.

The 2 transactions that went against us. The Merchant Bank from China sent a letter saying that the card holder physically had a card in possession and the card holder signed a charge slip. Now the charge slip clearly has a fake signature that doesn't even look remotely like my wife's sign. but they have refused the charge back with below reasons.

1)Visa charge back reason code 81 is invalid since merchant obtained imprint and signature. assumption that card holder participated in transaction. The signed sale slip as evidence (with fake signature)
2)ICICI processed chargeback code of 81 and fraud type 6 is reported which is a invalid chargeback Combination. Probably ICICI fault.
3)POS entry mode was 90 which means it was a face to face transaction. The bank claims cardholder bought merchandise and authorized sale and signed sale slips. But it was the scammer and not my wife in possession of the card. The Merchant didn't verify the sign .but it could quite be possible that he created a fake card and signed on it.

How do we now handle this charges.
the total charges amount close to 20K INR.

1) We can provide passport copies to prove we are in the US. with entry stamps. however I am a little worried to share the whole passport page due to misuse. Worst case someone from ICICI might leak passports and create more fake credit card. I seriously doubt data protection at ICICI.
2) 2 transactions came in our favour and 2 against. the bank should either approve or reject all transactions.
3) I want to build up a complaint for the ombudsman just want to ensure the right details are shared and documented
4) how do i pull up ICICI for delaying a decision on these transaction. they took close to 8 month when they kept promising a result in 90 days. I have emails to prove. They only started acting when i copied the banking ombudsman on our communication.

how do we now proceed on this case?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 1st May 2013, 21:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fake ICICI Credit card transactions in China

While what has happened is unfortunate consider yourself lucky that the damage is limited to Rs. 20K only (unless I missed something). Apart from taking up with the Ombudsman etc you may want to get help from CNBC 18. They have a programme which comes on weekends and is anchored by 'Vivek Law'. It is aimed at protecting consumers rights and taking up cudgels with service providers and manufacturers alike. Coincidence is that last weekends focus was exactly on the issue faced by you i.e. fraudulent CC transactions. At this instance for the love of God I am unable to recall the name of the show but you can get it off the channels website or invest sometime in front of the telly this weekend. From what I have seen these guys are able to get things moving and resolved quite quickly. They give out their contact details during the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
how do we now proceed on this case?
Old 1st May 2013, 23:11   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
At this instance for the love of God I am unable to recall the name of the show
Its called fightback.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

That's right it is 'Fightback', thank you AbhiJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Its called fightback.
Old 28th June 2014, 01:09   #52
BHPian

Re: Another credit card fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I have a few question. is the CVV also encoded on the card? In order to maintain the secrecy of the same, I have disfigured it on the card and is known only to me
Yes the CVV is also stored in the magnetic stripe.

I had a couple of unauthorized transactions totalling 60k on my ICICI credit card some time back. It was billed to a hotel in the US, where I've never been. Called the bank as soon as I received the SMS, blocked the card and filed a dispute right away. Took 3 whole months for the investigation to finish and only then was the credit limit increased to its original value.

The funny thing is this particular card was never used for any online transactions. I have another with a lower daily spend limit for that. I assume the card details were "stolen" at/by a petrol pump or something.
Lessons learnt:
  • always scratch away the CVV bit on the rear of your card (after memorizing it of course). Since almost every one has a camera phone these days, it takes little time to take snaps of the front and rear sides of your card. That is all that is needed to make online transaction. Without the CVV visible, it would need a card skimmer to read out the CVV stored in the card, in which case, there is nothing you can do anyway.
  • Set a low daily spend limit on the card, like 5k or 10k. If you need to buy something that costs more, just call the bank and ask them to approve that single transaction for that particular amount. Trust me, this saves a lot of headache when there is misuse!
  • Replace all your magnetic stripe cards with the new ones that come with a chip. Kinda looks like the card that you put in your DTH set top box. These are more secure compared to the mag stripes.

NB:
Cafe Coffee Days swipe every card twice. Once in the bank's POS machine, and once again using a credit card reader device attached to their PC. When asked why they did that, they merely said "It's for our records."
Needless to say, I made a huge ruckus and stopped paying by card at all their outlets.
Guard your credit card like you would a signed blank cheque.
Old 28th June 2014, 12:22   #53
BHPian

You will have to be careful when you swipe your card in ATM's

Interesting read about credit/debit card fraud
http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/
Old 28th June 2014, 20:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo6 View Post
  • Set a low daily spend limit on the card, like 5k or 10k. If you need to buy something that costs more, just call the bank and ask them to approve that single transaction for that particular amount. Trust me, this saves a lot of headache when there is misuse!
This is an interesting option that I didn't knew existed. Can you tell which bank allows you to do so? For online transactions, I use a separate card with a low credit limit but I wonder for how long will the bank allow me to retain the small limit.
Old 28th June 2014, 21:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
You will have to be careful when you swipe your card in ATM's

Interesting read about credit/debit card fraud
http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/
Of course let's not forget our own bank. They claim if you get fake notes in an ATM, there's nothing they can do about it!

@jaguar ICICI does it. I'm sure all banks have such an option.

BTW small typo, the 60k I mentioned was actually 69k.
When I bought a laptop using the card, I had to call them and raise the limit to 69k for the transaction to go through. It never occured to me to reduce the limit after that until the fraud.
If like me you use the card to pay for fuel mostly and other small expenses, 5k daily limit should do it. Extra funds is just a phone call away.
Old 9th August 2022, 22:08   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

From a video I saw:

In case of any fraud, call 155260 immediately from the phone number registered to your card/ account. The transaction is stopped, and is easier to cancel it.

Basically, when a transaction happens (except small amounts), there is a sms message to the registered mobile number. As soon as one sees the message, we try to contact the bank/card service provider. The officer in the video says - call this number first. and then contact bank/card provider next.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 22:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
In case of any fraud, call 155260 immediately from the phone number registered to your card/ account. The transaction is stopped, and is easier to cancel it.
According to the cybercrime.gov.in website, this helpline number has been changed to 1930.

Another credit card fraud-screenshot_20220809221402.png
comfortablynumb is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks