Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 13:44   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kids and Cars!

It all started in last year October. We were in India, and she started recognizing our Ford Ikon in the apartment parking lot. Back to Singapore, once was walking her through the basement car park (due to heavy rain showers), she spotted a grey BMW, and this is what followed:
San: Frod frod.
VB: What?
San: car car… frod
VB: Oh car! Its not a ford, it’s a BMW
San: Bee M?
VB: Yes, BMW
San: B.M.Blabu, B.M.Blabu

That was a start. In the next few days it went on like this
San: This car?
VB: Audi
San: Oh Ody, and this?
VB: Nissan
San: Oh Missaan

And it went on. Now she have many like Blobo (for Volvo), Blenty (for Bentley), Felali, Meeni etc. in her vocabulary
Old 27th April 2011, 14:12   #17
BHPian

Re: Kids and Cars!

My son has been identifying cars and car brands since he was 2 years old. I had earlier posted his Youtube video identifying cars and logos in one of the threads here. At traffic stops he can ID cars next to us even though he can see only one side.

He is now four years and the novelty has worn off for us, atleast a bit.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is your kid as enthusiastic about cars as you!!!

Here is a video of my 2 and a half year olf girl, going through the car pics.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

My son loves cars and bikes and itches to attend TBHP meets! He is 11 now, but even at 4 years of age he could easily tell the model/make of cars. We were living at Bangalore then, and this little fellow, sitting in the living room and watching TV, will casually mutter what bike is passing on the road, just by the engine note! The RX-100 and the Shogun would have been easy, but he could tell the Samurai, KB 100 and RX-Z as well!
Old 20th November 2013, 15:01   #20
BHPian

Young motor-heads - what have you spawned? :)

Mods - not sure if this belongs here or in the Off-Topic section. Please move accordingly.

When it comes to cars, I am sure the parents among us have some interesting experiences with our kids. When we were kids, we were piled up into an Ambassador and taken places. You stood the whole time or sat in someone's lap. How things have changed.

My three year old has certain quirks that should entertain you a bit

1. If he's going somewhere well-dressed (meaning to a party or a play-date) he'll insist on taking the sedan than the hatch

2. He'll relegate the wife to the back-seat on long drives

3. He loves changing gears. The first thing he tries is adjusts his seat so that he can reach the gear levers. If I say "up" or "down", he'll shift it with precision.

4. He is kinda vain. He doesn't like the fact the driver's shade doesn't have a vanity mirror and the passenger side has one

5. He can figure out where exactly our cars are parked and which ones are our cars. Same car, color etc. usually doesn't confuse him

6. He scolds motorists who cut in front of us or block traffic. He kinda knows what's right in the traffic discipline. I'm sure I'll get thrashed one day for his behavior

7. He's got his music preferences and knows how to get to the right songs

8. He's learnt left and right turns and can steer pretty decently with a bit of aid.

9. He doesn't like the nanny to travel with him in the back seat. If we take her, he moves to the front.

10. He loves watching Top Gear / Racing videos on line. We spend a good couple of hours on the weekend watching videos.

All this amuses me no end every time I take him out for a drive. Love the fact I've spawned a little motor-head and I look forward to the grease-monkey days again. Wife wouldn't approve but as of now, its 2 against 1. We'll see.

How about your kids? Do they like driving / goofing off on cars / bikes?

Last edited by bblost : 20th November 2013 at 15:19. Reason: removed a mention on Underage driving
Old 20th November 2013, 15:28   #21
BHPian

This is the conversation we had in a restaurant with my 2 and 3/4 year old son when we were touring Valparai.

sai: I will eat and become strong.
me: For what?
sai; I will become strong and drive car. (He then continues with steering actions)
me: :-)

Last edited by RajeswaranK7 : 20th November 2013 at 15:30.
Old 20th November 2013, 15:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Re: Young motor-heads - what have you spawned? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
2. He'll relegate the wife to the back-seat on long drives
3. He loves changing gears. The first thing he tries is adjusts his seat so that he can reach the gear levers. If I say "up" or "down", he'll shift it with precision.
9. He doesn't like the nanny to travel with him in the back seat. If we take her, he moves to the front.
Kids must be in the rear seat in an age appropriate seat.
In the event of an accident he could be seriously injured. Please do not take this lightly.
If your car has a passenger airbag, the injuries could be life threatening.

Quote:
8. He's learnt left and right turns and can steer pretty decently with a bit of aid.
Do you make him seat in your lap and control the car?

I am sorry but this is VERY DANGEROUS.
If your car has a driver airbag, the injuries could be life threatening.
Even if there is no airbag, between a driver and a steering wheel, the injuries could be life threatening.
Old 20th November 2013, 16:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Young motor-heads - what have you spawned? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Do they like driving / goofing off on cars / bikes?
Err - this thread is about enthusiasm, not lunacy.

I thought the 10 year incident was bad enough, letting your three year old control the wheels (even under your "supervision") leaves me short of breath and words.

Coming to my 2.5 year old, he ONLY plays with cars/vehicles and occasionally with humanoid toys. His collection has long crossed into triple digits but since he keeps flinging everything he uses, many are broken as well.

He does cry once in a while to try and sit in my lap but has never been allowed to do so. If I leave him unbelted in his seat while i adjust luggage/do some minor adjustments, he will often hop over to the front seat, pressing the horn repeatedly, smiling as if he's captured the citadel and is now master of the universe!
Old 20th November 2013, 16:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryashiv1 View Post

Just to share with you, my son take a small plate - its his steering, take a large spoon and puts in sofa on the side where there is armrest - its his gearbox, takes a key to start the car,....
Seems like this is universal! My son used to do this when he around 5-6, with some additional spoons to mimic the H/L and wiper stalks.

He is now 9.5 and nothing pleases him more that being with me when I am fiddling around the vehicles. Typically one of the weekend afternoons is spend downstairs. Nowadays, screw/nut loosening (after initial few turns) is delegated!

Maybe getting him a garage when he grows up is a better thing than the regular salaried jobs
Old 20th November 2013, 17:38   #25
BHPian

My 6 year old daughter wants to learn about every switch, knob, pedal in the car. She observes intensly and asks a lot of questions. She can identify cars better than most adults.

She also likes to take care of our car. My elder one, aged 10, is also enthusiast about cars in a different way. And this makes it possible for us to embark on 5000 km drives together as a family.

Cheers!
Old 21st November 2013, 15:24   #26
BHPian

My son has surely got some automobile genes in him, we were recently surfing channels and he chanced upon the TTD channel ( Tirumala Tirupathi Devasathanams) and he asked me if it stands for some thing related to 'Torquey Turbo Diesel' ... I was like dude . We are fond of expanding the badges like Audi TT, TSI, VDI, MPFI and surely enough everything looks like a automobile acronym for him nowadays.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks