Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 13:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Here are some answers from a "Madrasi" (born/brought up/studied) & now a Puneri (six years) -

1) Are there major water shortages in Chennai. Is it still a big problem? : It is NOT a big problem. Only if the monsoon fails, you have a problem - and just like Pune in summer, depend on water tanker supply.

2) Is the water on tap hard water or soft water? : Metro water is soft; ground (bore) water ranges from bearable to hard..... depends on the locality

3) Electricity - are there power cuts & Load sheddings in Chennai. If yes, how frequently & how much? : Compared to Pune, there are no "load sheddings / power cuts"... of course, there are occassional outages, but TNEB is much better than MSEB.......

4) Transportation - are autos/taxis a convinient way to travel around Chennai? He himself will drive but if his wife wants to go around couple of times a week are autos/taxis good? : Depends on where you want to go... Those areas connected by suburban train, there is no problem (used to take a rick to the nearest station); buses : crowded - but good service;
auto - licensed to fleece; call taxi - plenty of options, good service, slightly expensive...

Others -
Language / Food : No major issues....

Weather : Summer's sweltering heat has to be experienced!! October to February is pleasant and thereafter the mercury starts climbing till June/July....
Old 29th January 2010, 14:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

@bluethunder.
Thats what I call 'presence' of mind. Superlative stuff mate. Well you know its just December passed and its the season here in Chennai for Mosquitoes and Flies. One of those flies got in while typing and the result is stal'e'. (In Tamil 'e' means a fly). So that's so.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:09   #18

Re: Living in Chennai

Hi,
I know this is an old thread and would appreciate any help on the topic above.
I will be moving to Chennai for 1 year from Jan 2014. I will be travelling without my family since my sons are in the key years of their education and would not want to uproot them and disturb their learning styles.
I will be working out of Prince InfoCity II in Kandanchavadi (OMR).
My requirements are a moderately priced Accomodation (PG/Hostel/1BHK) with meals preferable, Running Water, Furnished, Close to work.
any help will be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th November 2013, 14:14   #19
BHPian

Velachery has quite many hostels & PG's. The advantage is that there is decent connectivity to Kandanchavadi through the local buses.

Plus you do not need to worry for food. There are quite many "Andhra mess" & other places to suit your budget.

Shyam
Old 19th November 2013, 14:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundabs View Post
Hi,
My requirements are a moderately priced Accomodation (PG/Hostel/1BHK) with meals preferable, Running Water, Furnished, Close to work.
PG @ Velachery is your best bet. You can get PG in the range of 3000 to 7000 depending on your need.
Commute from Velachery to Perungudi is also not a problem as there are frequent buses available from Velachery.
There are apartments available at Perungudi itself. You can walk to your work location. But there is very less if not none of 1BHK. Most of them would be 2BHK apartments without furnishing.
Any furnished apartment will be rent on upside of Rs.20k. Not worth it.
Old 19th November 2013, 14:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I will be moving to Chennai for 1 year from Jan 2014. I will be travelling without my family since my sons are in the key years of their education and would not want to uproot them and disturb their learning styles.

Thanks in advance.
You need to be specific in terms of your requirements:
a. How moderate is moderately priced?
b. What conveniences do you want? Easily accessible places are NOISY if located on main roads. Independent houses may be easier than modern apartments. Velachery has a decent assortment.
c. My wife initially wanted a similar PG acco before we all moved - but she found the PG acco depressing / very college like (cramped, no personal space, not well furnished, no freedom etc). Furnishing etc was a key grouse from her side.
d. What meals work for you?
e. If you can ride to work or bus it, distance isnt a biggie.

Chennai NEEDS a two wheeler ideally (buy used if u can) - autos etc can be a pain and costlier even in a one year period esp if u dont know tamil or arent quick in learning it.
Old 19th November 2013, 15:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
I don't know if you've lived in Chennai before. In case you haven't, finding the right accommodation can be challenging.

I'd recommend looking for a PG/Hostel nearby. Prince InfoCity is near Perungudi.
here should be many places in Perungudi offering PG facilities.
Since you're going to be here for a year only, do not go looking for 1BHK's.
Real estate prices in Chennai, even for rentals, is sky-high! And, unless you speak the local lingo, you won't be spared.

I think there is a men's hostel opposite the Lifeline hospital. A stone's throw from your office.
Walking distance less than 500m. Should suffice. Will check and update sometime.
Also, please do check with your would-be colleagues. Might be someone has a vacancy they are interested in filling.

Will you be coming with your own vehicle? Bike? Car?
If not, then please be aware that public transportation in Chennai is not the best.
In fact, for someone who doesn't speak local, it can be quite the challenge!

Last edited by sourav9385 : 19th November 2013 at 15:17.
Old 19th November 2013, 15:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

there are plenty of options on OMR itself. Why bother going all the way to velachery - in fact, if you want a more domestic location, have a look at Thiruvanmiyur. You will be just one share auto away from work or anywhere else if you are on OMR. If you plan to bring a 4 wheeler, then stay towards the city side, (there is an OMR toll booth around there, and you need to be on the correct side).
Old 20th November 2013, 09:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You need to be specific in terms of your requirements:
a. How moderate is moderately priced?
b. What conveniences do you want? Easily accessible places are NOISY if located on main roads. Independent houses may be easier than modern apartments. Velachery has a decent assortment.
c. My wife initially wanted a similar PG acco before we all moved - but she found the PG acco depressing / very college like (cramped, no personal space, not well furnished, no freedom etc). Furnishing etc was a key grouse from her side.
d. What meals work for you?
e. If you can ride to work or bus it, distance isnt a biggie.

Chennai NEEDS a two wheeler ideally (buy used if u can) - autos etc can be a pain and costlier even in a one year period esp if u dont know tamil or arent quick in learning it.
For all those with your posts I appreciate all your help.

I will be traveling for a week starting this weekend and taking your advice to check out the places suggested by you.
I will be be having my car when I finally move to Chennai so I guess the transportation issue is resolved. (Parking will be a nightmare I guess like all the other metros in India)
Thanks for the guidance and the cautionary.
I hope we can meet during the Chennai BHP meet when I am there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks