Team-BHP - 4th of Every Month in Bangalore--> "Bus Day" from BMTC
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   4th of Every Month in Bangalore--> "Bus Day" from BMTC (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/74335-4th-every-month-bangalore-bus-day-bmtc.html)

Just got a mail about this.

I thought that, there is no harm is trying this on feb 4th/2010.

MODS, please merge/change the location of this thread as required.
__________________________________________________ _______
BMTC has planned their first ever Bus Day on Thursday, Feb 4, 2010 with a particular focus on 2 corridors – Hosur Road and Old Airport road. The idea is to take the Bus on that day (if you aren't already taking the company bus or any other bus) and see the difference it will make to traffic congestion and air quality. Vehicle speeds and emissions will be monitored on the corridors to quantify the difference in order to further encourage people to travel by public transport. The campaign is meant to create awareness interactively(as paper free as possible) through an electronic survey and by just taking the Bus!

The Bus Day team at BMTC has designed a short survey and the first way we can help is to fill in the survey online.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...VFduc1dHVWc6MA

4th of Every Month in Bangalore--> "Bus Day" from BMTC-bus.jpg

Oh nice. Good initiative. I will spread the word around, since i work off old airport road this should be taken up here.

I travel by by bus anyways.

ya, even I felt atleast on that day we will try this and see how things work out. If as per their sayings even a small % of pollution is stopped then it is a big thing

I have seen it on our office notice board. I will use bus on 4th

Sounds like the perfect day to drive ;) :D (less people on the roads!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anekho (Post 1703441)

Hope you don't end up with a traffic police since all the roads will be empty and you tend to losen the horse gripagree:agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anekho (Post 1703441)

High hopes. The auto drivers and cab drivers wont be catching the bus to reach their work place. :D

So guys in bangalore, """Are you Readyyyyy""" for tomorrow's experiment

Yup, eagerly on the lookout for how this would go. I saw this poster on couple of buses and has been circulated in our office as well. Hope this goes well and becomes a routine.

Today while coming in the bus on the ring road "500 series" some of the conductors were telling many IT guys to tell their friends about this. So even they have taken the initiative.

Is the Bus fare waived off for this occasion?

If there was a direct Volvo bus from my locality (Hennur) to my Office (Whitefield), I would have definitly commuted by Bus....

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 1713781)

If there was a direct Volvo bus from my locality (Hennur) to my Office (Whitefield), I would have definitly commuted by Bus....

That means you are not commuting by Bus?:D

I'm just worried about the rush. Do BMTC/Volvo have abundant buses to accomodate the rush?

I only hope people have a great experience in buses tomorrow and use their services everyday.

I have attached the bus route and directions.
BMTC_Volvo_Routes_To_EC_And_ITPL_v2.xls
BusDay_Route_Map_v1.0.pdf

Even a fraction of the 35+ Lakh private vehicles staying at home will make a huge difference! Pretty awesome.

However, I have one fear. The bus services have grown manifold - indeed their growth has far outstripped the growth in population. Yet there are geographical, time-sensitive stresses on the system. Now imagine that going up by, say, even 15% on a single day because of a 'mobilization' like this. The newbies who dare to try it out tomorrow might be put off buses - wrongly so (I can say this since I've been busing for a while now) - for a long long time to come.

Hopefully, BMTC would've factored in the increased traffic to a certain extent, and (I say this only pragmatically) hopefully not too many will hop on all at once. The shift does need to happen, but more persistently, gradually, and permanently.