Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 23:26   #1
BHPian

50 new cars gutted in Mysore blaze

Mods, not sure where to post this, please move/merge as required.

MYSORE: About 50 brand new cars standing in a stockyard on the city's outskirts were burnt in a raging blaze that spread like wildfire due to dry grass and a hot breeze, a fire brigade official said.

"The fire took place late afternoon at Arasu Motors compound in Hebbal industrial area (6 km from the city) after a car caught fire and its flames leapt to other 45-50 cars parked in the courtyard," Bannimantap fire brigade station in-charge M Mullukya said.

Though no casualties or injuries were reported, the damage to the car dealer is estimated to be around Rs 3 crore (Rs 30 million). Most of the cars destroyed in the mishap were Tata Indica models.

"The cause of the fire is being investigated though initial reports suggest sparks from one of cars ignited the flames and spread to other cars. The wild grass in the yard accentuated the blaze," Mullukya said.

Employees of the car dealer and from the adjacent JK Tyres factory managed to save about 20-30 cars from being damaged by pulling them away in time.

Source: TOI

Video here

Last edited by siddvi : 21st February 2010 at 23:32. Reason: video link
Old 21st February 2010, 23:37   #2
BHPian

This is really sad. Why dont the authorities take specific measures? Cars should not be stored in such areas where there is dry grass, IMO there should be rules as to how the cars should be stored. I'm not sure but there might be some rules existing as well. That is really a sad news.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

I was driving down the mysore bypass road yesterday afternoon and saw a lot of black smoke. I guess now I know where it was coming from.
Really sad, though I guess this could have been prevented if there were extinguishers available.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:05   #4
BHPian

Sad , yes but this looks more like an insurance scam than anything else.

As far as I saw the news yesterday , there was no way anything could set it on Fire. As per the security guard there , there was no one but him guarding the premises , it being a Sunday , so then how did the fire start exactly ?

Fire dislikes this particular agency , maybe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks