Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you harvest Rain water ?
Yes 66 44.00%
No 14 9.33%
I will do in future . 68 45.33%
I dont need it . 2 1.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 12:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Going by the list of clientele (that includes Konkan Railway Corporation - all stations - Karwar Division) and the photo gallery showing pictures of their installation at various places (not only in Bangalore), as given in their website ::.. Farmland ..::.. Rainwater Harvesting ..:: , I am of the opinion that they are not a new entity that has pitched the tent in Bangalore recently. I would appreciate if you can give any definite information of their recent origin for I do have them in mind for executing the installation at my residence (open well recharging - water used for drinking when BWSSB fails to deliver) and also by virtue of their being in the BWSSB authorised list.

The filters manufactured - not of the made to order type the availability of which on demand is suspect - by them may be costly but that is a different issue.

On the other hand, the "VARUN" developed by S. Vishwanath - approximate cost Rs.2250/- (see it here) appears to be a very bulky -and hence not suitable for wall-mounting along the line - "made to order" type that may not be available off-the-shelf (especially when there is a heavy demand) for any one wanting to buy when implementing the RWH. Do correct me if I am wrong and let the Bangaloreans know where one can see it, feel it and buy it when required. Also his name or agency cannot be found in the list of BWSSB authorised plumbers/agencies notwithstanding his other credentials as an expert, enthusiast and whatever. Again, I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.
An RWH filter is not rocket science. Tho implementations, especially on a larger scale, are tricky in terms of sizing, plumbing options, etc. Also, the fewer moving parts there are, the more robust/easier to maintain its likely to be! The inline (wall mounted) filters in plumbing may have this issue for large volumes - might be ok for small installations though. From what I know, the Rainwater Club (wife's involved in this) has trained a lot many plumbers to execute this across Bangalore - some have formed their own company, some are with LabourNet - and do not undertake consulting for single homes anymore.
Old 6th May 2010, 18:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
If I provide a 2000 litre storage tank for re-using the rainwater, do I still need to install the groundwater re charge hardware (cement rings / sump) as per rules ?
It will be sufficient if you store rainwater for reuse. Ground water recharging is optional in such cases.

This is what the BRWH regulations 2009 states:

Rain water from the roof of the buildings such as tiled/slope roof and flat/RCC roof may be collected using appropriate size of gutters or pipe lines respectively and stored either in a collection tank or storage structure of appropriate size placed over the ground or underground after proper filtering and disinfection. Appropriate filter shall be used for filtering rain water. The water shall be used for non potable purpose. ....... The surplus water available after filling the storage tank/sump may be diverted to the open well or bore well or recharge pits.......

While designing the capacity of the storage structure for the Roof top Rain Water Harvesting or for design of artificial recharge structures to ground water a provision of 20 ltrs or more per sq.mtr of the roof area shall be adopted.
Old 6th May 2010, 19:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ponmayilal. My 2 storied house has a roof area of a little over 100 sqm. So I will go ahead as planned. I plan to install two Sintex type tanks of 1000 ltrs each, one connected to each floor, for non potable use.
Old 26th June 2010, 22:11   #34
BHPian

Last week I called Farmland Rainwater Harvesting Systems asking them to give me a quotation for inspecting and implementing the RWH at my residence. ( My post #19 on this thread refers.)

On Monday two of their engineers visited my residence, took all the necessary measurements, collected Rs.1000/-as charges for the same and left stating that they will email the detailed estimates and quotation in the next two or three days.

Two days back they had indeed sent a detailed estimates and quote. The work involves linking all the four drain water pipes, installing a filter and discharging the water into the well at the back of my house.

Omitting the drawings, their survey report:

The total Roof top area available for Rain water harvesting at your House, ............. Bangalore. is 1500 Sqft (139 square meters)
A RCC roof an area of 139 m2, Using a ‘Rainy’ RWH Filter in an area with local annual rainfall of 1000 mm would yield 139x 0.85 x 0.90x 1000=(106335LITERS) (106m3):
There is one existing open well near to the building this well can be recharged with Rain water harvesting system, the quantity of water 106 kilo liter can be recharged with the proposed Rain water harvesting system per annum.

The cost breakup from their detailed estimates and quote:
1. Materials......................................... Rs.9780.00
2. RWH filter Rainy FL-150 ......................Rs.6558.00
3.Installation........pipeline ......................Rs.3650.00
Installation...... Filter.......................... Rs. 850.00
4.Civil and Masonary work ...................... Rs. 925.00
5. Transportation ..................................Rs. 250.00

Total............................................. ......Rs.22013.00

Rs. 1000 charged for their inspection and quote will be adjusted in the above cost.

Order has to be confirmed in writing with an advance payment of 50% and balance after completion. Installation within fourteen days. One year guarantee on the work carried out.

Considering their expertise and my own assessment, I feel it is a fair quote (as a consumer we will always feel that anything is high but one has to consider the skyrocketing prices, labour costs and the professionalism of the party carrying out the work ) and am inclined to confirm my order next week after consulting few others.
Old 29th June 2010, 23:32   #35
BHPian

RWH in JP Nagar.

Could any of you please suggest a reasonable plumber/contractor for RWH in JP Nagar ?
Old 29th June 2010, 23:39   #36
BANNED

Have designed a crude one, but on a normal rainy day, our system collects almost 3000 lts of rain water

Only need to add a proper filter, will be doing it soon.
Old 30th June 2010, 09:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

A couple of queries related to RWH:

1) Acco to the builder of our hsg complex he had provided a pit for collection of rain water from the roofs/terraces. How do we confirm that since that pit is now covered with a garden (as per him).
2) How do calculate the amount of recycled water as we get a discount form the Muinicipal corporation in the property tax upon submitting proof of the amount of RW collected.

Kindly let me know.
Old 1st July 2010, 06:58   #38
J.Ravi

I got it done from a plumbing contractor approved by BWSSB at a total cost of Rs 11,500/- all inclusive. He excavated a 3.5' dia 10' deep recharge well, put pre-cast porous concrete rings and connected it to all the 3 storm water drain pipes from the roof top through Supreme brand HDPE pipes of 4" dia 70' long. The recharge well has been closed with a concrete cover-slab and he removed all the excavated muck. He has issued a certificate stating that he had carried out the RWH work as per BWSSB specifications. I selected this contractor from the list I found in bwssb.org. Good work done by this chap.

Old 1st July 2010, 08:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I got it done from a plumbing contractor approved by BWSSB at a total cost of Rs 11,500/- all inclusive. Good work done by this chap.
@J Ravi, nice to know you finished the job ! Please PM me the contact details of this plumber, as my plumber is playing truant for the last 30 days !
Old 1st July 2010, 11:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

I have a ground water recharge system installed for the last 5 years (since the building was made) My roof area is approximately 3000sq feet.

Though it hardly rains in Jaipur but whatever rain we harvest has helped me a lot. Just to give you an example. A house 50 meteres away has ground water level at 230 ft and my ground water is at 180 ft.

I might be wrong but I feel this is the affect of rain water harvesting.

Last edited by deky : 1st July 2010 at 11:13.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Finally I have fixed a deal with "Drop - By - Drop" RWH system installers for my house, with the details as follows :

Cost of filter (supplied by the firm) : Rs. 3500

Cost (material + labour) for mounting a Sintex tank 1000 ltrs, PVC interlinking piping 75mm, one inch piping for taps : Rs. 11,000/-

Total cost of project : Rs. 14,500 (approx)
Old 19th July 2010, 12:13   #42
BHPian

I have implemented RWH at my place in 2005-06 and since then I am harvesting every rain. I have implemented the RWH designed by IICs Prof. AR Shivakumar and use "Pop-up" filter. It is one of the simple and cost effective system to implement. We have trained many plumbers who work in our layout and they have become well-versed with implementing these systems.

To procure the RWH filter, we just have to send out a SMS and it gets home delivered. The filter with home delivery charges costs about 2.3K for a 4" filter. The 3" filter does cost lesser.

In our layout, we have over 40 houses who have implemented RWH using this system and it's working really well.

Please write to me if anyone needs any kind of help in implementing RWH. I am more than willing to visit your place and suggest a way forward.
Old 24th July 2010, 07:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Finally I have fixed a deal with "Drop - By - Drop" RWH system installers for my house, with the details as follows :

Cost of filter (supplied by the firm) : Rs. 3500/-

Sintex tank 1000 ltrs, PVC interlinking piping 75mm, one inch piping for taps : Rs. 11,000/-

Total cost of project : Rs. 14,500 (approx)

The RWH system was installed yesterday at my house.

The total cost came to Rs. 13,000/-.

I just have to submit a copy of the certificate issued by the contractor, to BWSSB
Old 25th August 2010, 16:06   #44
BHPian

hi guys,
Most of you seem to be using RWH to recharge ground water. Is there anyone who is actually storing it and using it??

My dilemma is that, i am constructing a house, and now i have the flexibility to make any change i want. I am also planning to construct a sump specifically for rain water.

But how do people use that water? Many people say it can be used for gardening etc. But my garden is pretty small. What else can this be used for?

I dont want to construct a 5k liter tank and not use it.
Old 25th August 2010, 18:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
hi guys,
Most of you seem to be using RWH to recharge ground water. Is there anyone who is actually storing it and using it??

My dilemma is that, i am constructing a house, and now i have the flexibility to make any change i want. I am also planning to construct a sump specifically for rain water.

But how do people use that water? Many people say it can be used for gardening etc. But my garden is pretty small. What else can this be used for?

I dont want to construct a 5k liter tank and not use it.
Theoretically Rain water is the purest form of water, if your roof top is relatively clean then you can filter that water and use it directly.
Believe me Rain water is soft without minerals and can be used for all no portable purposes , it will be better than tanker /bore well water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks