Hypercity 3 18.75%
More 1 6.25%
Others 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 09:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which is the best Supermarket in your locality/town/city

There may be many Reliances, Big Bazaars, D;Marts, Hypercity's, More's, Star Bazaar's in your locality/town/city, but which is the best supermarket . You can zero in on within 10 Kms radius. The criteria to judge can be based on the following:
Locality: City:
1) Accesibilty: How far or near is it from your place.
2) Parking facilities: Sufficient parking is available, How safe is your vehicle?
3) Stock availability/Pricing: Whether the stocks are always available offshelf? Great pricing
4) Branding: Good list of Branded items availability
5) Eye Candies: No of discounts available, Effective marketing
6) Staff response: How does the staff behaviour, during purchase, after sales??

To start with D'Mart is the best Supermarket IMO.
Area: Ghodbunder Road City: Thane
1) Accesibilty: Its about 4 kms from my place.
2) Parking facilities: Parking is available but on first come basis, Parking is continously manned by Security, very safe.
3) Stock availability/Pricing: The stocks are available offshelf most of the times, Decent pricing, lesser than most of supermarkets
4) Branding: In house Branded items available mostly
5) Eye Candies: Pricing discount is a majot draw, Effective marketing through newpaper ads typically on Saturday
6) Staff response: The staff is courteous most of time except on Hoiday rush when things get a bit edgy.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

The best supermarket I know in Bangalore is THOMS Supermarket and Bakery.

Located in Frazer Town. I guess its one of the oldest SuperMarkets in Bangalore. Very good quality of all products available.

Not to forget the amazing crowd in the evenings.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:45   #3
BANNED

I prefer

M K Retail in Indira Nagar - Monthly ration purchase
Safal in Kasturi Nagar - for Vegitables
THOMS in Frazer Town - Bakery items.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:01   #4
BHPian

We have a More and Reliance closeby, but the More has no parking,extremely slow staff and many products are missing. So we prefer to go to the Food Bazaar which is far away but atleast has most things its supposed to have.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:11   #5
BHPian

SPAR is good in terms of variety of things available (esp. fruit and veg) but becomes a nightmare if you happen to be there on a sunday afternoon with the chaos and crowds

We do most of our shopping at Spencers Koramangala because it is a walkable distance from home, but also has ample parking if we choose to drive there, a decent liquor section with good collection of wines, a coffee day and BreadTalk outlet within the store. Most importantly, ALL the checkout lines are staffed, keeping the queue length under control. This just does not happen in so many other places where even though there are 4 or 5 cash registers only one is in use!
Old 12th March 2010, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

I do most of my grocery shopping at Spar Supermarket in Oasis centre Koramangala (near Sony World junction).

I live very close to this place, hence I can conveniently go there on foot.

If you are coming to this place on a vehicle, I have to say that the access is not simple.

The parking situation is also quite complicated if you go during peak hours.

Stock availability is good. Discounts offered on popular items like soft drinks, fruit juices etc.

There are lot of billing counters (more than 15, IIRC) and all are operational in peak hours. They also have a separate counter for senior citizens and expecting women.

Liquor store is decent and has a dedicated billing counter. You don't need to stand in the queue of the regular counters if you need to buy (only) booze in a hurry.

This place is very crowded on weekends. Even with all the billing counters operational, the queues get very long. I avoid going there on weekends.

Rohan
Old 12th March 2010, 13:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

I chose hypercity but I go to Star Bazaar.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:52   #8
BHPian

SPAR is really a good supermarket and is very close to where i stay. There is ample parking space and unlike other malls, the crowd is also not too much comparitively speaking. Only issue being that there is always a big crowd at the counters.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hypercity at Inorbit mall near Vashi station is by far the best for quality stuff especially food items. Everything seems so fresh. Also it has a lot of foreign/imported food stuff like cheese etc..not easily found at other regular Reliance Fresh and Food Bazaars.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:14   #10
BHPian

Dmart - Mulund. The one place stop for all of my needs. Shop Rite comes second but is closing down on 15th March
Old 12th March 2010, 16:26   #11
BHPian

For me

Vegetables: Reliance Fresh @ 8.30 AM on Fridays only.
Branded FMCG products : More Hypermarket (I like there collection of breads)
Open grocery items: Buy and save shop near my home.

Regards,
Old 12th March 2010, 16:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why spar is not in the list. I find it to be the best. Local supermarkets outsize many reliance fresh stores. they are tiny.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:45   #13
BHPian

In Thane, I felt the Spar bakery was awesome. Too bad it closed down. Now, me and my friends hang out at Korum sometimes and love the bakery at Star Bazaar. For groceries, it usually comes from DMart. Never go to Big Bazaar because it's too crowded and 1 incident changed all my thoughts about it

@ Ghodlur

How is the Hypercity which has just opened near your place? More opened at RMall in Thane but it's very crowded.

@ F1Fan

WHAT??? It's closing? Shoprite was huge and almost everything was available there. Sad :(
Old 15th March 2010, 10:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
@ F1Fan

WHAT??? It's closing? Shoprite was huge and almost everything was available there. Sad :(
Yup, its true. Looks like the original company "Shoprite" in S.Africa is not happy with the way the Indian franchisee is running the shop and hence is cancelling the same.
Future Group ( i.e. Big Bazaar, etc) has bought the place and is opening a shop called " Food International" there. Being a Big Bazaar sister company dont know how good/bad this new place would be
Old 15th March 2010, 11:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
In Thane, I felt the Spar bakery was awesome. Too bad it closed down. Now, me and my friends hang out at Korum sometimes and love the bakery at Star Bazaar. For groceries, it usually comes from DMart. Never go to Big Bazaar because it's too crowded and 1 incident changed all my thoughts about it
@ Ghodlur
How is the Hypercity which has just opened near your place? More opened at RMall in Thane but it's very crowded.
Hypercity is quite spacious and neat & clean coz its not the usual crowd which goes there. The prices are a bit on the higher side I guess its due to the quality. The varieties are good, you get everything under one roof. The best sections are the bakery and cold storage. I had brought the best Pompfret fish and the price was a little higher than the market but it was fresh. The Crossword section has some good books, CD's and latest mags. The parking is huge, considering that presently only people coming to Hypercity are using the parking lot. There is also Cafe Coffee day operating and is good too. Overall Hypercity is a nice experience and good place to hang out. I guess when the Big India Mall becomes fully functional its going to be one busy hangout joint.

I had been to MORE at my wife insistence and I found the place horrible with things strewn all over the place because of over crowding. There is no uniform spacing between the shelves or sections and no space to move around with trolleys hitting each other. I was getting irritated by minute. I guess my wife noticed that we exited immediately. I would not go there unless The R-Mall become fully operational.

Last edited by Dippy : 17th March 2010 at 13:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks