Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 10:36   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I agree with you on this.
Sigh, India is one of the few counties in which you can pee/poop in public but cant kiss
In the US or UK its the other way around.
That's absolutely hilarious! I couldn't have said it better.

I've lived in Europe and the Middle East. Do we really want the authorities to make rules and regulations about one's personal space? I've experienced both extremes in the UK and the KSA.

We Indians tend to poke our heads into other people's lives. Who are they? What are they doing here? Why can't they get a room? What's the police doing about them? No offense to anyone here, but come on! We don't live in the dark ages, do we?

This country still has some draconian laws on moral conduct. Do we need more?
Old 17th March 2010, 10:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
But one thing I can say is, please do not treat those questions by your son as "embarrassing" - learn to deal with those, and NOT avoid with "a sheepish grin", as you put it.
That is so true. Who else is going to educate your child ?

Our society thinks nothing of the man in the street who opens his zip in public in front of women and children to piss but objects 'strongly and vehemently' to someone kissing in public.
So that means it is actually ok for you to strip in public but please please do not hold hands or kiss, that is a very bad thing to do especially in front of those same women and children who were forced to see that prick's prick.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Damn! I came to the thread to add my complaints about people showing off their iPhones in public. This is something else.
Same here. The title was grossly misleading.

Anyway, display of either type of PDA depends on the surroundings.

You don't want to show your PDA (personal digital assistant) in shady areas for the fear of getting mugged.

You don't want to show your PDA (public display of affection) in conservative areas to avoid being a nuisance to other family folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
What is a decent kiss..a French type going the whole hog OR a simple peck..80's bollywood style;-?
A decent kiss is when lips come close together and then the camera moves to show 2 flowers touching each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
In the society, there are lovers and they also need time, space and privacy.
The places like Mumbai, Thane, where is the space?
Naturally, these couples choose the public places like parks.
Why can't they just go and watch a Ramgopal Verma movie where there won't be anyone to bother them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Anyone interested in joining hands for building parks exclusively for couples ?
It may not be practical, but the following suggestion is very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Taking a cue out of Smokers/Non-Smokers Zone, maybe there should be PDA/non-PDA zone at such places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Sigh, India is one of the few counties in which you can pee/poop in public but cant kiss
In the US or UK its the other way around.
Too Good.

Rohan
Old 17th March 2010, 10:46   #34

I cant post the Article here because of Political References. But here is an Extract.

"In the Land where the Kamasutra Arose, where there are depictions of couples making love in different positions, not only in books but also engraved on the walls of Monuments and Temples, the question of banning Public Display of Affection Does not arise!! MAny people say that Globalization has affected the Indian culture and degraded it and that the concept of loving a loved one is not acceptable. Then maybe history should be made known to these people who feel expressing One's love should be banned!!"

The Above is an Extract from my article which was published in my college Magazine Dyandite in 2008. I came under much criticism for this, and there was even a debate session organised by the college to underplay this topic. Always ready for debate though, I took on 4 of the best debators that the college could throw at me...and blitzed it.

Now My Views on this Topic:
There is a certain limit to PDA. One cannot be accepted to take a light view to public Nudity, and that is an obvious fact. One also shoudnt be expected to be ok if they see a couple doing it by the lake or in a garden. The ABove is clearly indecent and thus punishable.

But, at the same time, there is a very thin line between indecency and Affection. I would love to see someone object to me hugging and siting or maybe even cuddling up to her when I am siting at a McDonalds with a couple of friends. Or for that matter, I would love to see someone object to me giving her an occasional kiss on her cheek or lips just to tell her I love her. Obviously, in this case, we arent talking about making out for an extended amount of time.

In any case, who is going to decide where the line of affection ends and where the line to indecency begins? Our Politicians, who appear to be the beacons of morality in daylight and are seen at their local Dance bar after hours, or the policy makers who are mostly old men in their 80s who probably dont know what being in love with someone means.

As you see, This topic is something that means a lot to me. And to hell with policy. Stop me from holding hands, hugging or even kissing the one I love, and all you will end up with is a Bloody nose or a Black eye. Or maybe both.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That is so true. Who else is going to educate your child ?
Except the parents & then blame the entire society for spoiling the child & the entire society blames the parents on the spoiled child

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Our society thinks nothing of the man in the street who opens his zip in public in front of women and children to piss but objects 'strongly and vehemently' to someone kissing in public.
So that means it is actually ok for you to strip in public but please please do not hold hands or kiss, that is a very bad thing to do especially in front of those same women and children who were forced to see that prick's prick.
Very very true; Reminds me of the movie "Thiruttu payale" where Vivek says "namma oorula publica piss adikkalaam, aana kiss panna koodadhu, ingae publica kiss adikkalam aana piss adikka koodadhu" (In India you can piss in the public but not kiss & the oppossite in abroad)
Old 17th March 2010, 10:53   #36
BHPian

I indulge in PDA with my girl friend.
I do hug, sit close, and sometimes kiss, but that is it, and i feel that this much isnt a huge deal. But yes i have seen people do this and much much more under a umbrella or a chunni.
That is extremely indecent, and it is because of those people that people like us, who are educated and understand the difference between romantic and utterly obscene.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:59   #37
BHPian

I have a few points to make:
(1) If someone wants to make-out in public, it is his/her choice. No law can be enforced as long as it is consensual.
(2) It is the parent's prerogative to teach their kids about sex, and love making. Especially in a country which has a huge AIDS problem.
(3) Sex, and love making became a taboo in our society only recently. 500 years back, we were, in some ways, more liberal than the west of today. It is dumb to term such behaviour sacrilegious, claim a 'holier than thou' stance, and turn a blind eye towards Khajuraho, Kamasutra or the fact that the brits were appalled when they found that orgies with Devadasis in temples was a norm.
I find it amusing how we, despite recording 7-8% growth during a recession, love to go backwards.

Remember; your freedom ends where my nose begins.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Making out in public is NOT PDA.
It seems the OP witnessed the former, which is not proper.

Maybe the title should be changed accordingly.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Who decides the line which divides both?
The only plausible differentiating factor I can think of is 'nudity'.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It seems the OP witnessed the former, which is not proper.
Couldn't agree more. Its PDD (desperacy)
Making out, kissing like there is no tomorrow, travelling hands, scream for a room. This is till we graduate to tolerating more indecency.
Of course this post will deemed unfit after we progress further, for, like someone said earlier, holding hands was a big deal sometime back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Ohh! Believe you me sir, thats the next level.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 17th March 2010 at 11:25.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:28   #41
BHPian

who is to be the judge of what is "appropriate behaviour" here? on what kind of contact is acceptable and what is not.

if 2 people in love want to be affectionate then it is nobody's business. if someone is uncomfortable with seeing something like this, then they should turn away.

Quote:
and what is wrong with nudity on a beach? next some people may think that a speedo is too "revealing" for a beach?

Last edited by COUGAR : 17th March 2010 at 11:31.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Who decides the line which divides both?
The difference is that one makes you scream "GET A ROOM" while the other doesn't.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:42   #43
Team-BHP Support

Remember the three monkeys? Just close your eyes, and the problem, will go away. Why trouble somebody who is just having fun and not harming anybody else. There are far worse things in this world to be bothered about!
Old 17th March 2010, 11:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Even with people who find it fine doing PDA, they are putting limits to it. I guess its hard to arrive on the limits since it could be different for different people.

The problem is the whole society does not go together and the limits are therefore not uniform.
Old 17th March 2010, 11:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
PDA can't be explained very easily. Lack of private space is one reason.

Sharat- Reminds me of wife asking me in our early days 'walk in the park'... Why do 'these' couples do all these 'things' in the park when all kids are playing around. I replied

1) Either the in-laws are intruding into their privacy...
2) Either their kids intrude into...
3) Either their respective parents oppose (in case of per-marital...)

OR!!!

4) 'His' wife and 'Her' Husband dont like to see these 'two' together!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks