Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2005, 11:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Recd on mail

This is purportedly from the Dean of IIT, Chennai. I do not know if it is true or not, but reading this sent a thrill up the spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposedly the Dean of IITM
Dear Friends,

Here is a personal experience, as well as a moment of national pride, which I want to share with you. Hope you find it worth the time you put in reading it :

"In the middle of 1965 India-Pakistan war, US govt - then a close friend of Pakistan - threatened India with stopping food-aid (remember "PL-480"?). For a food deficient India this threat was serious and humiliating. So much so that in the middle of war, Prime Minister (Late) Lal Bahadur Shastri went to Ram Leela Grounds in Delhi and appealed to each Indian to observe one-meal-fast every week to answer the American threat. As a school boy, I joined those millions who responded to Shastri ji's call. I continued the fast even when the war was over and India became self sufficient in food. Hurt deep by the national humiliation suffered at the hands of the US govt, I had vowed
to stop my weekly fast only when India starts giving aid to USA.

It took just 40 years. Last week THE day arrived. When Indian ambassador in Washington DC handed over a cheque of US$ 50 million to the US govt, two plane loads of food, medical aid and other relief materials were waiting to fly to the USA. Time to break the fast? With no bad feeling about the USA, and good wishes for the Katrina victims, this humble Indian feels proud of the distance India has covered in 40 years. Let's celebrate a New India!"
- Vijay Kranti.
Old 6th October 2005, 11:53   #2
BHPian

Well , LBS's plea is real enough as is the fact that many people did respond to it...
If tehre is one instance where all of us Indians forget all petty stuff, language barriers, races, its in time of war and strife which is why its a great country.

Although some of that unity would be nice even in peace time ;-)

I dont know if thats true, but if it is, well good on him to do , but I feel its rather overkill
Old 6th October 2005, 12:14   #3
BHPian

I just spoke to my Pa over the phone and he confirmed that the LBS thing did happen!

Considering that the tables have turned in 40 years, I am all smiles just imagining what the next 40 have in store for us

@O-, thank you for sharing this, you made my day.

cheers
Old 6th October 2005, 15:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for posting this, T-O-N (this typeOnegative stuff is too long). I dont know if the Dean of IITM actually wrote it, nor do I care because LBS's call was real and so was the fact that we delivered aid to the US of A.

10 years back, I thought we'd hit the pits with the likes of Deve Gowda and Devi Lal heading this country. After Dubya (America will start a new 'AD' era once the long term effects of this man's reign set in), I'm glad we're in 'elite' company...
Old 6th October 2005, 15:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice knowing that you guys appreciated the post. I just have one more wish - that we have some one like Lal Bahadur Shastri soon.
Old 6th October 2005, 15:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if the time has come to rejoice. We sent aid to US, but neither was USA dependent on it like we were, nor are we in a position to consistently dominate others through aids. But yes, we are in far better shape today than we were 14 years back.
Old 6th October 2005, 15:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Nice knowing that you guys appreciated the post. I just have one more wish - that we have some one like Lal Bahadur Shastri soon.
What for? So that we can have one more mysterious air crash?
Old 6th October 2005, 15:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

RX : Yes dude. The US was not dependent, but it is somewhat like scoring brownie points. Not much, but hey, we feel nice.

Steer: :( Why do you always put such a bad spin on things? I don't think we can trust any of the dumb**** politicians ...
Old 6th October 2005, 16:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
So that we can have one more mysterious air crash?
I guess it was Subhash Chandra Bose who was alleged to have been killed in a plane crash. LBS was poisoned in tashkent, USSR.
Old 6th October 2005, 16:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
LBS was poisoned in tashkent, USSR.
It is alleged so. Officially, he died a natural death. (I believe, heart attack?). I agree with you TypeO. It is like scoring some brownie points, but it sure feels nice. Umm..very nice :-) Good for our battered egos!
Old 6th October 2005, 16:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
I guess it was Subhash Chandra Bose who was alleged to have been killed in a plane crash. LBS was poisoned in tashkent, USSR.
Thanks for the correction guys - yes I did get confused between the two largely forgotten heros.

T.O.N> Regret looking at things through jaundiced eyes and all that, but its difficult not to be cynical in this country. See what happens in our so-called Silicon Valley railway station - thats just ONE example...

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th October 2005 at 16:24.
Old 6th October 2005, 16:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

I had a discussion on this on my company's Bulletin board. and the closest we cud find to a Mr.Vijay Kranti was a journalist, not dean, IITM.

well, still the fact is relavant and good.
Old 6th October 2005, 16:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
What for? So that we can have one more mysterious air crash?
Did not get what r u trying to say?
Old 6th October 2005, 17:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, Steer was saying that an honest politican is not goign to last in India ...
Old 7th October 2005, 10:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

It is very difficult to believe that the Dean of an IIT wrote this email. It is 100% true that LBS made such an appeal.

IMO:
- India continued to remain a pauper country for another THIRTY years. It was only on 1995 we began to the end of the tunnel.
- LBS was an honest, sincere politician who delivered nothing to the “pauperacy". Narasimha Rao was a corrupt politician PERHAPS, but he delivered a lot.
- India achieved food security because of the so-called green revolution, which is the brainchild of Dr. M.S Swaminathan, who has the support of Mrs. Gandhi, who is neither sincere nor honest. The green revolution was fully supported by the US.
- The US received aid even from Haiti. And they were not begging for aid. The aid they received from several nations (Haiti for e.g.) is only a fraction of the aid they provide to these nations.
- So, we dont need to worry whether we have a shortage of honest politicians in future. An honest politician need necessarily not be a capable administrator or decision-maker. Let s worry about finding such people. The former CM of Kerala, Mr A K Antony is a simple and honest man. But if he ever contest against Ms. Jayalalitha and my vote happened to be in that seat, I will certainly vote for JJ.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th October 2005 at 10:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks