Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 20:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Do share the progress on the restoration work, if any, as i am very keen to know the status of the same.
Old 14th August 2010, 02:47   #17
BHPian

Mr. Vintageman,

Its the Independence Day day after, but I had not felt any particular interest. But after reading about your efforts I am feeling quite proud of our people. I haven't been to Lucknow ever, was planning to go late September - now I will make sure it happens, and I will make sure that I go to see the Ghanta Ghar.
Old 29th October 2010, 08:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Clock Passed The Test Run

Won't say much as the article covers the full update. Although would like to thank Capt Chauhan and Er. Akhilesh Agarwal and their team for turning this project into reality. Really looking forward to hear the gongs and chimes soon.
Attached Thumbnails
A Vintage Restoration of a Different Kind-scan0002.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 29th October 2010 at 08:59.
Old 29th October 2010, 23:26   #19
BHPian

Thank you Sagar ,

Sorry I have not replied to the pm , have been very busy over the last one month.

Yes we regenerated the clock , it was a wonderful project and we had a whale of a time .
[FONT=Arial]The biggest challenge in the reconstruction of the Great Clock was non-availability of drawings and missing parts. The project was like putting a jig saw puzzle together, with most of the pieces[/FONT][FONT=Arial]missing.[/FONT][FONT=Arial]Knowledge base was acquired from diverse sources, by studying the[/FONT][FONT=Arial]subject of horology from the internet, using our own knowledge and experience, and know how from a diverse set of people, for which we have successfully experimented with a new model for voluntary work. This model is informal, with a core group, but without any formal membership, purely voluntary and interested persons are invited to contribute their knowledge/experience, and when the work
is done, move on. The project also required a great deal of safety engineering measures, and a large logistical support, for which we have organized a team. The strategy was to recreate the basic clock first and take up the peripherals and improvements later on. [/FONT]
Old 30th October 2010, 17:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Won't say much as the article covers the full update. Although would like to thank Capt Chauhan and Er. Akhilesh Agarwal and their team for turning this project into reality. Really looking forward to hear the gongs and chimes soon.
Excellent job, and great courage shown. I hope that gong/striking section also gets done. Only ensure that maintainance will be carried out once handed over.
J W Benson were great clocks, the railways had lots and lots of them. I also have a few. And J W Benson also made pocket watches, I have come across only two so far.
BTW, there are clocktowers in Mumbai which also need such help. A friend attempted to get to do one, beaurocracy killed his enthusiasm. And how much room did you find up there? Some tower clocks are very much cramped in the machine room.
Please post some pictures, during and after restoration.

Cheers harit
Old 1st November 2010, 09:02   #21
BHPian

[We have succeeded in recreating Bensons’s original clock. We have maintained the original design, but a few improvements, where necessary, have been made such as-oil-filled gearboxes in motion work and double pawl/fail-safe ratchet.
We have got most things right first time
We have maintained very high technical standard and quality of work.
Work has been done at high speed using mostly local resources and with economy.

The following work has been completed-
- escapement
- gear train
- power drive
- motion work
- dials

To be done-
- maintaining power
- dial lighting
- gong
- chimes
- remontoire
- civil work, repainting, surrounding area clean up and beautification
- repair of upper storeys, arches, copper domes, weather cock

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st February 2012 at 11:52. Reason: Font tags
Old 1st February 2012, 11:00   #22
BHPian

Re: A Vintage Restoration of a Different Kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
[We have succeeded in recreating Bensons’s original clock. We have maintained the original design, but a few improvements, where necessary, have been made such as-oil-filled gearboxes in motion work and double pawl/fail-safe ratchet.
We have got most things right first time
We have maintained very high technical standard and quality of work.
Work has been done at high speed using mostly local resources and with economy.

The following work has been completed-
- escapement
- gear train
- power drive
- motion work
- dials

To be done-
- maintaining power
- dial lighting
- gong
- chimes
- remontoire
- civil work, repainting, surrounding area clean up and beautification
- repair of upper storeys, arches, copper domes, weather cock
Hi Vintageman,

I just stumbled upon this thread a couple of days ago and its been amazing, I am very keen to know what is the current status of this restoration? Could you put up some pictures as well with regards to the restoration/re-building that has been carried out by you?

I am aware of a slightly different kind of restoration of a tower clock being carried out in Bangalore, wherein a tower is being built for a clock that was found elsewhere in quite a bad state and needs restoration as well, it is being done by a friend. I will find out more and possibly start a new thread if the people involved with the restoration don't mind.

Kudos to you with regards to a fantastic job.

regards,

Srinand.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 1st February 2012 at 11:53. Reason: Font tags
Old 21st March 2012, 20:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update on today's TOI regarding the clock tower.
I would like to congratulate Capt. Chauhan and Er. A. Agarwal & their team for successful completion of this project. Thanks a lot for giving the Clock tower a new lease of life.
Attached Thumbnails
A Vintage Restoration of a Different Kind-scan0002.jpg  

Old 1st April 2012, 15:23   #24
BHPian

Hello Sagar ,

Returned today , thank you for keeping this thread alive . ( Please call me )

Yes it has been a very satisfying 2 years we have spent restoring the great clock in the Hussainabad Clock Tower. We were privileged and honoured that the administration entrusted such a prestigious project to us - hobbyists and amateurs, after the professional agencies gave up.

We did it because we were passionate about our city and ensuring it's cultural legacy continues.

Actually we did not talk to the newspaper and their are some factual errors in the report; the clock tower is 67 m or 221 feet high , there is a single clockwork machinery which reputedly is the biggest in the country and this drives the mechanism in the 4 dials each 18 feet in diameter. There are adjunct mechanisms for the gong and for the chimes.
The clock tower was built from 1882 to 1887 , the clock was commissioned in 1887 .

When we entered the scene , the clock had not functioned since 1984 , the gong since early 60's and the chimes were last heard in 40's . On our first visit to the clock tower we discovered the clock had been vandalized and except for the bench where the original clock was fitted .

As no drawings, manual or data existed for the original clock ( the original manufacturer Benson were bombed out of existence during the 2nd World War ) We have regenerated the old clock gears using the center distances from the original bench and as the parts have been fitted in the original positions we can say for sure that we have succeeded in regenerating the original clock.

The main clock and the gongs are functioning and it is our endeavour to complete the chimes and have them playing the westminster tune during this month.

We have worked as amateurs and have not charged anything for our design and work . As no records and no parts existed , all the parts have been built locally in Lucknow.

I have a further update - TCS has funded the restoration of the Jijabai Clock Tower at Mumbai University to the tune of Rs 5 Crores !!!
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:38   #25
BHPian

Congratulations Sirs.
I too hail from the city of nawabs and feel proud reading about this restoration project.
Never knew about the history of the clock tower!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks