Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 23:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Collin McRae Dirt 2 anyone???

Found some vid clips of "Collin McRae Dirt 2" game on youtube. I was really impressed with the graphics and the camera angles.

Planning to pick a copy soon.

This is prob the only other racing game i wanna play on the PS3 other than GT5.

Codemasters has put in a lot of effort in this game.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 30th April 2010 at 23:43.
Old 30th April 2010, 23:39   #2
BHPian

I bought the PC version today morning - still haven't gotten around to downloading and installing it though
Old 1st May 2010, 01:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

I bought it last sunday when I got the PS3 . Been hooked on to it since. The gameplay is pretty decent and graphics are fantastic. You can crash the car all you want but it keeps going on and on . Nice fun.
Old 1st May 2010, 01:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't have WRC tracks or stages. And way too 'American'ised. Good for a racing game, but a Rally game should atleast have the complete WRC season. And it's just DiRT2 this time, no Colin McRae since he passed away a few days after the release of DiRT.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:04   #5
BHPian

I played it as soon as it was released. Though it is a rally sim game I tried some arcade moves like running or spinning opponents off the road(its great fun since the game allows this). This game also takes into account if the car is a rear engined or front engined (Weight distribution) and therefore it is difficult to spin opponents rear engined cars.

Graphically, I like the China(Hill climb) and Malaysia(Swamp) tracks the most, they are very beautiful on the PC and the PS3.

The BMW Z4 M Coupe Motorsport has been made into the worst handling car in the game(I was quite expecting it to handle better). The car I had driven the most was the Subaru Impreza WRX STi Group N (you can beat the game with this car) while I found the tiny MG Metro 6R4 to be the best handler in hairpin corners.

What I categorically liked about the game are the Rally stages, you can choose your navigator and he/she speaks in realtime telling about the track and probable routes and chiding you if you bump into obstacles.

It has the demerit of having less variety in terms of tracks, with other tracks in a particular country being the reverse of the same track you drove on earlier.

Overall, I find it to be the perfect mix of Arcade & Simulation
Old 1st May 2010, 11:36   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

The game looks great. Like the damage
But I still plan to wait for GT5 (I read that it will also have WRC cars) and damage.

May be I would get this one for driving the trucks (GT5 doesn't have any,I think)
Old 1st May 2010, 21:46   #7
BHPian

Dirt2 is a good game, but I don't think its worth the price console users have to fork out for it (the PC version costs less than half that of the console version). Sure the graphics are great, but that's only if you like watching replays ! Driver involvement is lacking, the game isn't very 'technical', & last but not least, it integrates poorly with a force-feedback wheel. Once you get past the initial oohing-&-aahhing at the replay graphics phase, Dirt2 is pretty much boring. You might have some fun times with multiplayer though, but even on that count I'd recommend Forza3.

To PC race sim guys, I suggest a 24" (or larger) monitor, a decent force-feedback wheel, & LFS. The cars may be limited, but the spread is great - from an everyday hatch to a 2006 F1 BMW. And the same is the case with tracks - which are small in number, but each one is beautifully designed. The game is quite 'technical' & you can try your hand at really tuning the cars - not just throwing in 'sports' packages like some other games. But the best part is the replay, which isn't about gawking at HDR graphics, but detailed analysis - you can view suspension movement, all the forces on the car, & even slow things down (up to 1/8th normal speed) to understand why your tail keeps coming around during braking on entry ! If that wasn't enough, you can even log data during a replay & use 'vehicle analyzers' for an even more in-depth look ! Do not get LFS before you get a good wheel. My personal LFS recommendation - F1 BMW, Aston-GP circuit, with traction-control off...

Last edited by im_srini : 1st May 2010 at 21:52.
Old 2nd May 2010, 02:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

just bought it off steam along with 4 other codemaster's games for 17$

^^LFS is very different kind of game altogether, i don't think you should be comparing it with Dirt.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 2nd May 2010 at 02:25.
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

as of now i am playing Juiced 2 - Hot Import Nights. Have a copy of Dirt 2. Its up next in 15 days time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks