Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:47   #16
Team-BHP Support

I wish there was a solution. Around where i live there is an entire colony of idiots who get some crow sounding pundit once a week or so, then bray like donkeys the entire nights. Inspite of high court order, police dare not do anything(as usual), and every time there is a thunderstorm, I pray that the gods get irritated enough to drop a bolt or two on the pandals. But I guess, their range is only till the neighboring sectors, not all the way up there.

So you get some insulation done. Normally in such cases, legal recourse shuts down such people for couple of days, then they get stay or something, or grease some palms and start again.

Or probably you can start playing loud music at 2-3 am with speakers pointed to his house? Somebody I know did this with some mandir. Those guys used to sing loudly at 4am. He started putting loud music at 2am. when neighbors complained, he told them, since they do not have problem with loud music from mandir, why should they have problem with loud music from his home. He told the RWA, either get both of us shut down, or neither.
So hiring a loud speaker may be an option for you.
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

I like Car-e-ok 's suggestion, go to a local newspaper or TV channel and get them to highlight the situation.Maybe you could also get you insualted , get your living room air conditioned , will keep the noise and the heat away.

Good luck.
Old 3rd May 2010, 02:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
One such tenant runs a garments export factory which has many sewing machines and punching machines that run daily from early morning till late night.
For sure there are rules about noise after 9/10pm. Lot of people having late night house parties have been shut down by the cops.

Definetly a good cop can help you out.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd May 2010 at 04:46.
Old 3rd May 2010, 07:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our problem is, the noise and vibrations that gets emanated from these machines are directly entering into our living room, bed room and kitchen and are causing a lot of disturbances to us. Imagine living in almost a small factory like atmosphere from morning till night, daily.
The sheer arrogance with which the owner speaks makes me wonder whether I will be able to find a solution for this.
Any alternate routes to take are also welcome.
This sounds hard, but if I were in this position, I would start thinking of selling the property and looking for a flat in a peaceful, fully residential place.
I know this is easier said than done, since I too do not feel like selling off our existing traditional house, which is now in the midst of an increasingly noisy, "residential converted to mixed zone" area
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

If the factory is illegal you need to report to the police first, regardless.
Then form an association along with neighbours and complain collectively.
Ensure no bribe is given or taken. If there are students or small children deprived of sleep then that'll help your cause. Try everything legal.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Then form an association along with neighbours and complain collectively.
Good point. Cops might shoo you away if you go alone. Go as a group and they will pay more attention. If you can find a local MLA to support you (unlikely), then nothing like it.
Old 5th May 2010, 09:37   #22
BHPian

First get yourself some sound insulation as an INTERIM solution.

Follow up with the authorities: I doubt they will do anything, but do this anyways.

Then ring up your friends in the media and work up a fine froth accusing the administration of wilful misconduct and corruption.

Then sit back and watch how the system swings into action!
Old 6th May 2010, 15:53   #23
BHPian

Guys, sorry for replying late. For the past few days, we have been living without electricity. Seems there is a severe power crisis in the city, running from pillar to post to get the power issue sorted out in my house.

Coming back to the main issue - My mom filed an FIR in our nearby police station on Saturday. The Sub-Inspector seems to have told my mom that he will come and check the place on Monday, but he hasn't turned up yet. Since we are busy sorting out the power issue, we have not called him up again.

Some of you have suggested the following.

Sound insulate the building -

The problem is – the front, the right and the left walls of our building do not stand next to any other wall, only the back wall shares space with the commercial layout. There is just no gap between the walls. Even if I sound insulate the inside of walls in my floor, I don’t think it will prohibit the vibrations that arise from the machines.

Is it a residential area or a commercial area?

It’s a residential area, but my house is located in an arterial road which has a few shops along the road, so it could be a commercial area but surely not industrial.

Try with some big contacts –

I could already see the laid back approach of the police. A good contact would obviously help, but we don’t know anyone of that sort who could push the police to take action. Also, I’m sure he can pay more than what I can, so if it comes to a battle between money, surely I’ll lose.

Why not consider befriending with him instead of fighting?

We spoke to him so many times; we in fact went to his house and spoke to his family. But he is more concerned of losing the rent than vacating the garment shop. I realized that he, at no cost, is ready to sacrifice the rent. Probably if I can pay him the rent, he might vacate. But then, that’s not the way.

Any other residents getting affected due to this reason (possibly)?

No one else. The other houses are fairly away from this layout.

Just take it cool. Live with it -

Unfortunately, more than I, it’s my mother who is getting affected the most. She stays in the home all day; it’s not possible for her even to sleep peacefully.

Contact your Pollution Control Board -

Have not thought about this yet. But might consider this based on how things turn around next week.

Start thinking of selling the property and looking for a flat in a peaceful, fully residential place -

It’s the place where I have spent almost half of my life. Also, buying and selling a property is not going to be that easy.

I sense this could take an ugly turn; the Police might wash away their hands saying that it’s a civil issue and needs to be dealt in court. As a next step, I might contact a few of my friends who have better contacts. I hate to do this, but have not other options.

This, along with the power cuts for days, makes me wonder why things are so difficult to even live in our house peacefully.

Last edited by Mpower : 6th May 2010 at 17:43.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
at no cost, is ready to sacrifice the rent. Probably if I can pay him the rent, he might vacate. But then, that’s not the way.
I also had the same problem when I had moved in to Bangalore.

This has a very simple "khosla ka ghosla" solution.

Send some relative/friend of yours as aspiring tenants for that building and tell them to be ready to pay rent for 2 months.Since the landlord now has a family ready to occupy the place and he is getting the same rent he would be more than willing to oust the commercial renter.

Once he is ousted tell them to back off from their commitment

I also had a similar problem and I called in my friends who asked the landlord that they were really interested and were ready to pay 2k more than the asking price of rent.The idiot running the commercial business was asked to vacate and when the landlord later came to meet the so called would be tenants with the 10-month advance rental agreement he realized that the phone number given to him no longer existed

And he had pissed off the commercial idiot so much just for that extra 2k rent and some peace of mind that he could not call him back.

And he himself told me this whole story that God punished him by sending some cronies as probable tenants and now he is getting only 7k for that place.
Earlier he was getting 12k.LMAO.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Oh! its a real headache, my friends (bachelors) vacated a house (in Madiwala) recently due to the same home based garment factory noice. I experienced it one day, i thought i lost my ears sharp 5 when the work stopped (full silence or rather a vaccum feel).

Legaly there are many options for addressing these issues but our corrupted officials and politicians would be a real threat.

I would request you to handle it as positive as you can since you need to lead a peaceful life even after the issue is sorted out (world is like that when the opposite party is politically and monitorily strong).

Try to find a local politician or social activist or a respected guy in that society as a middle man who can help for an amicable settlement rather than going for a aggressive mode. Dont mind if you have to spend 5K or so as a contribusion to their party or org .
Old 6th May 2010, 17:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

@CliffHanger - Which place are you in Chennai? I don't see any powercuts this year, atleast so far (God, I didn't say this). Looks like in your case, you're left to battle all alone. By the way, if there's no power supply in your place, how come that garment shop is able to manage without power?
Old 19th July 2015, 15:28   #27
BHPian

Noise Pollution from telecom tower

Most of aware of the controversies involing telecom towerstowers installed at residential areas. They are considered by many to detrimental towards our health. I personally would wait for concrete results from scientific research to prove the same (a recent WHO report said their research did not give any conclusive evidence to suggest that such towers are harmful for us.

But I am suffering from a different issue altogether. A neighbour living next to the house right behind ours recently had towers installed on his roof. For a few days there was no disturbance at all. However, over the last 3-4 days I have been noticing a strange shrill sound coming from towers. It is not very loud. But that continuous noise is getting pretty irritating.

I considered talking to the neighbours, but the issue is that he has put the whole house on rent and I have no idea how to contact the owner.

I need your help to contact the proper authorities so that this problem can be resolved.

PS:Am attaching a video for reference. [Please ignore the 1st 6 sec seconds of the video. The noise was from an aircraft that had just flown over our house]

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...B0bVN3VGt3Yjln
Old 19th July 2015, 16:46   #28
BHPian

Re: Noise Pollution from telecom tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post

I considered talking to the neighbours, but the issue is that he has put the whole house on rent and I have no idea how to contact the owner.

I need your help to contact the proper authorities so that this problem can be resolved.

I can feel your pain. I know you've probably thought of all the things I've listed below, but still:

1. Contact the tenants, they must know the owner - they do pay rent to someone right?
  2. Talk to the local dailies and see if someone will carry the story
  3. These towers are normally shared by the service provider companies and there are a few companies that are do this work of setting up the towers and maintaining them - just Google them or find out from the service provider companies. Other way is to check how you can rent out your place to this tower company.

Hope you get more useful suggestions and concrete steps from other readers

Good luck!
Old 20th July 2015, 12:24   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Find out whose tower it is. Lodge a complaint with the local municipality & the telecom company. If it doesn't help, take the help of pgportal - Related thread.
Old 20th July 2015, 22:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Find out whose tower it is. Lodge a complaint with the local municipality & the telecom company. If it doesn't help, take the help of pgportal - Related thread.
How do I find the company which has installed the tower?

Ps: I am an airtel customer and have noticed a significant improvement in service quality after this tower was installed. (I had on previous occasions complained to them about weak signal inside my residence. ). So it is quite possible that airtel in atleast one of the stakeholders in this particular tower. But I dont think calling up the general customer care guys will yield any results in this respect. How can I approach airtel for this issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks