Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 12:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

[Desperate] Severe Brain Damage

Does anyone know if any kind of treatment is possible for a patient with severe brain damage? I know the brain cells/tissues do not regenerate, so any damage is more or less permanent. But have there been any advances in science and technology that can offer any hope for such patients?

Need this info desperately.
Old 7th May 2010, 12:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Only hope can be stem cells. Much research is going abroad. You can google for institutes doing this and take it on from there
Old 7th May 2010, 15:29   #3
BHPian

Stem cell

Continuing to Tanveer's post about stem cell, Lifecell in India is based in Chennai involved in stem cell research. Check their website to reach them to help you. The url is:

Stemcell, cord blood banking, umbilical cord blood, stem cell therapy - LifeCell International

Hope you get some help from them. All the best.
Old 7th May 2010, 15:43   #4
BANNED

Very unfortunate, but most stem cell research is still in research phase with some progress here and there for small tissue regrowth which are also largely confined to lab. The best option for any brain damage would be in some kind of psycho-neural therapy which could probably help in recovering some of the lost functionality by stimulating other healthy areas.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

technically there has ben evidence that brain cells can regenerate. But for a clinical solution right now you should look at therapies etc.

what's the reason for damage? physical trauma? or an internal factor(disease)?
Old 7th May 2010, 19:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just PMed you a direct number of a guy from Lifecell. He could probably answer some of your questions. He had given us a presentation about stem cells.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th May 2010 at 20:22. Reason: FYI - you didn't PM, it seems you reported post by mistake :P
Old 7th May 2010, 19:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, stem cells needs to be of the same person or almost same genetic structure (from a sibling).

Not sure how do you think a stem cell will help anybody now.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

There is a concept of Public banks for Stem cells. It is pretty expensive and a match may take considerable patience and money.
As far as stem cells from siblings are concerned all I know from the presentation given to us which eventually we opted for is that:

100% useful for the baby from which stem cell sample originated.
100% useful for the siblings.
50% chances for blood relations (parents, grandparents etc..)

This 50% thing was when it clicked for opting for stem cell.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 7th May 2010 at 19:54.
Old 7th May 2010, 22:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

I work with various stem cells, and it might be an option to get the person over to the US/Europe to have some treatment done. I'm not aware of the developments in India, but there might be some options available.
Stem cells have to be as close as possible in terms of the body accepting these cells. In some instances certain cells from the patient's body can be used (such as fat cells, or adipose stem cells) and these can be modified to carry a therapeutic drug to the area of interest.
Old 7th May 2010, 23:55   #10
BHPian

Extremely sorry to hear that honeybee..

There are varied views in stem cell research and therapy. However, at this point of time, it is not proven. In addition, there is a very severe risk associated with stem cell culture. When a stem cell colony is being generated, it needs a medium to hold on to which today is either prepared from extracts of rat/rhesus.

Since the cell colony thrives on a medium which is non-human, the genetic mutation can not be predicted at all!

Most of the stem cell therapy is either in research publications or in labs on rats and monkeys.

Regarding LifeCell and the likes - waste of time and money - please stay clear of them.

In severe trauma cases, the only way to salvage life is extracting the damaged tissue to remove oedema. Since tissue bits are removed, it is natural that one or the other body functions controlled by that part of brain gets adversely impacted - specially memory and motor movements.

Now, auto-regenaration of brain cells (they are no different from other body cells so far as their life cycle is concerned) does happen contrary to what information you have. This regeneration largely depends on the extent of damage and the age of patient.

Please bear in mind it is extremely difficult for such a patient to get to the same quality of life which s/he had prior to the head injury. It is difficult for the impacted person and equally life changing for the family. Therefore, I would rather suggest you focus more on the recovery of patient and in due course of time, go for physiotherapy in order to restore motor movements. And keep praying to God for maximum possible recovery.

I am sharing my views on stem cell therapy based on inputs received from my wife who herself is in stem cell research since last 3 years and is currently setting up a research lab at a major hospital.

Trauma recovery details are again, from my personal experience - having spent close to 4 months in hospital on account of my father's head injury. It has been painful 5+ years since and we know we are where we are..

Last edited by AlokSriva : 8th May 2010 at 00:00.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks each and everyone for your concerns, sympathies and advice.

To update all: The patient passed away yesterday afternoon as a result of several complications in an already adverse situation.

Mods: Can you please close the thread as it has no more purpose to serve?
Old 12th May 2010, 10:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear that honeybee. Please accept our condolences.

Closing this thread as requested.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks