Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 18:46   #1

Granny Dhabhar: A Tribute Thread

Usually, I do not see the need to do something like this, But since a few people here know her and have interacted with her, I thought I would put this in.

The Granny Dhabhar Story on TeamBHP started with this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
As I promised to reveal to you in my earlier post, I had a unique visitor today evening. Cyrus43 called me around 1 ish and told me he had someone who was interested to see my cars. I was on my way for some work but for a car enthusiast, i asked Cyrus to bring in the guest asap.
Enters Cyrus, his brother and a very petite grand old lady. I was waiting fro someone else to surface when Cyrus informed me that it was this lady who wanted to see the cars. I was taken aback.
Its not everyday that one comes across a lady as old or older than one's grandmother, who is so enthusiastic about classics.
She met me very warmly and I soon found out that she was Cyrus's own grandmother. That means Behrambhai's mother. Now here was a special guest.
I was introduced to the cute and effervescent "GRANDMA DHABAR"

Grandma Dhabar is all full of life and energy. Her eyes twinkle when she talks about car and she does so with knowledge and authority.
She enquired about the cars I had and where the others were. She mentioned that Mercs were her favourite and went on to tell me which cars she had owned and driven. We spoke about Fords, Desotos and Mercedes. She could talk about Pontons and the Fintail (Heckflosses) as adeptly as a collector or enthusiast would. Then she said calmly, "Show me your Mercedes Dikra".
She just walked past the W124, the W123 and the W126 and straight away parked herself near the W110. I could see she loved the car.
"Is everything original as it should be or have you changed anything?"
she asked.
I assured here that everything is as should be. I opened the door and requested her to sit in the drivers seat.
Attachment 19998

Notice the broad smile and the enthusiastic look on her face. "Yes yes, I notice its all original....Good" ...she mumbled

Attachment 19999

Enroute she saw the Fiat which she knew everything about (naturally, shes a Dhabar!!)
She also told me how her family had owned the first Deluxe BE floor shift Padmini to be delivered from the factory straight to her home. Then she turned around and asked me,
"Tare passe Dukkar kem nathi?" (How come you dont you have a Dukkar?) I replied promtly that it was under restoration, to which she looked relieved. She asked which year it was and went on to explain the differences in the grill of the various Dukkars.
She is going to be the first one I will show my centre-light to, when it comes. Sorry BehramBhai, you're going to be number two.

I never thought my swift would interest her. Hes glanced at it and asked me what that huge thing was, on the dash. I informed her It was the Tacho and other meters combined. That was all her interest in the Swift was.

Scrutinizing the Tacho on the Swift
Attachment 20002

[/b]She trotted towards the Rolls with a smile on her face. She also gave me a list of people who owned Rolls Royces in Bombay which she had seen and ridden in. My God what a lady.

Looking eye to eye at the RR Mascot.
Attachment 20000

Once in the car, she enquired which year it was.
Did it have power brakes?
Why was the gear lever on the right side of the steering wheel? and a whole lot of questions only an ardent enthusiast would ask.

"My God, how do I see the road from this huge bonnet?"
Attachment 20001

The Million Dollar pose.
Attachment 20006

I wanted to spend more time with her as she had come all the way specially to see my cars, unfortunately I was in a hurry to go, she wanted to get back and it started raining cats and dogs. She blessed me and said she prayed that I own many more cars.
I do believe theres a certain magic in the blessings of elderly people.
I think her blessings will bear fruit. I look forward to meeting her again.
Thanks Grandma Dhabar It was a pleasure meeting you!!

And I remember how she smiled and enjoyed every moment of it.

I also remember how she completely how she shocked the people at Rolls Royce showroom when I took her for an exclusive tour of the Rolls Royce Phantom EWB by telling the staff who she still prefers a Classic Mercedes Ponton over this modern wizardry!

Coming to the point why this thread has been started, Granny Dhabhar, known to all (legally) as Perviz Dhabhar, Mother of Behram Dhabhar, Grandmother to Cyrus and Darayus, a loving wife to Themtan Dhabhar and a great mother in law to Veera Dhabhar passed away today morning at 08:50am.

Just returned back from the funeral and have an overwhelming urge to do this. May she Rest in Peace!
Old 31st May 2010, 19:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Just returned back from the funeral and have an overwhelming urge to do this. May she Rest in Peace!
Better you didn't tell this; I feel something struck in my throat; I'm sorry to hear this.

PS - For a moment I felt very happy to envison a Grandma driving cars, but the last line made my happiness short lived. May her soul rest in peace.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
May her soul rest in peace. Please do accept my heartiest condolence and also convey it to your dad, mom and Darayus.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

cyrus,

my condolences to the family.may her soul rest in peace.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sad.
May her Soul Rest in Peace.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family. May your granny rest in peace.

Drifter
Old 31st May 2010, 19:18   #7
BANNED

Rest In Peace Granny.

She seems to have lived a full and happy life. Cheers to that.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

My deepest condolences to Behram & Cyrus. Very sorry to hear this.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

My condolences to the Dhabhar family.

manson.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry to hear that Cyrus. Condolences to you and your family.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:48   #11
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Feeling bad...:(

May your Dadi receive a place in Heaven.
R.I.P!
Old 31st May 2010, 20:42   #12
BHPian

The last line was an abrupt shock. May she have a peaceful afterlife.
Old 31st May 2010, 20:49   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Deepest condolences, Cyrus & Behram. Very sorry to hear this.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:05   #14
BHPian

Sorry to hear this, my deepest condolences to you & your family. May she rest in peace.
Old 31st May 2010, 22:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Behram & Cyrus, our prayers are with you all at this difficult time. May Granny Dhabhar's soul Rest in Peace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks