Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 11:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pune Metro : Is it a good idea ?

Pune Metro Report.

What do you guys think ?
Does Pune really need a metro ?

IMHO, going by their past history of project execution , it will cause us a huge headache in the long drawn implementation phase. Especially since with improved bus service , 75% of the Metro's purpose in Pune can be served at a fraction of the cost and far lesser headaches for residents.

They are apparently scheduled to be operational by 2014.

Considering that a relatively simpler job of concretization of Paud Road was scheduled to be complete by June 2008 and is still far from complete in June 2010 , I think we can safely expect an operation metro in around 2020.
Old 1st June 2010, 11:45   #2
BHPian

It is essentially a good idea and perhaps the only real solution to the traffic mess that we have experienced in the last 10 years or so.
But as you said, going by experience the construction will be a huge pain to all (for how long who knows) (paud fly-over and current concretization work are 2 glaring examples!)
Old 1st June 2010, 13:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Its a noble idea and will surely put Pune into league of bigger metros.
However, as we all know - execution is key - and will most likely be messed up.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

First train would go from Vanaz to Ramwadi.
Now where is this Ramwadi ?
If its near Nagar Road, then we can safely expect half of Pune to be perennially jammed up for the next 6 to 8 years.
I am not against development, but BRTS was quite a disaster too. I think its just motivation of the economic kind to all (political) parties involved , hence the almost unopposed approvals from them inspite of the objection of several experts and citizens. Atleast in its current form.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:07   #5
BHPian

Also an underground tube/metro would cost more but probably turn out to be better overall than the currently planned elevated metro line (which would mean lots and lots of traffic problems on all the arterial roads)

Ramwadi (jakat naaka) is on Nagar road as you suspected sajo.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
First train would go from Vanaz to Ramwadi.
Now where is this Ramwadi ?
Ramwadi is after Kalyani Nagar on the AhmedNagar Road.

I voted 'Yes'.

I do believe that in Pune; we have issues in executing public projects efficiently. One such example is the time that it took for the Pune University Fly over to get completed.

However, denying a good project is like 'barking at the wrong tree'. We have got to get the execution streamlined. Cancelling good civic projects will even worsen the situation as the urbanization is not going to stop! Pune desperately needs robust and scalable infrastructure.

We also have examples of the benefit that a good project brings. Many roads of Pune have been made better during "commonwealth games". It was pain during the time that they were making these roads; but today we are enjoying fruits of the same very well.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:36   #7
BHPian

I agree with Pranav. In essence, for Pune, the metro would be an excellent idea, especially if it has a robust network around students travel routes, afterall, Pune IS known as the Oxford of the East. Couple of thoughts:
1. Keep it underground and only bring it up where its not viable in terms of money, time, and effort spent.
2. Run it initially in the high travel density areas (university) and then build from the peripheral areas like Hinjewadi and Ramwadi. Free up On ground public transport services (buses, autorickshaws) to peripheral areas where metro is yet to be set up initially and then normalize across all routes once the metro is in more advanced stages of completion.
3. This one is the most important: Get the guy in charge of the Delhi Metro and come and build it. I am sure he will make it come up in time and run it economically.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sajo, BRTS was/is a disaster because the planners fail to look at even the basics of traffic engg.

A small road with 2 lanes - one dedicated for buses which ply once in 5-10 minutes.
Another for the rest of traffic which is busy each and every second.

Effectively you have reduced the width of the road.

Thats bad planning.

With metro - what you can look at is something like better connectivity between far flung areas. Fortunately Pune's growth is at nascent stage. Most of the city lies in 5-10km radius.

Once the growth pushes to "satellite towns" and real suburbs - there will be a massive havoc on the roads.

Metro will avoid that.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:11   #9
BHPian

Metro Should be for reaching pune subberbs and not for the heavily crowded area's like
( Som, Mangal, Budh .... Ravi ) war Peths'.

There is no space left in the core city for Metro & adding it there will only increase the chaos.

Metro should also be available for hinjewadi , chakan , talegaon.

Currently

Hadpasar , Kalyaninager , Magarpatta can me made accessible from khadki , shivajinar etc if there are local trains till Hadpasar railway station.

Surprisingly nobody is thinking of that way Don't know why. :-((

Last edited by hrishig : 2nd June 2010 at 15:12.
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:11   #10
BHPian

^^^ +1 to that. Chakan, Hinjawadi needs metro as most of the people works their in IT companies.
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

IMO only, Pune does not need a Metro, like, real bad, but down the line, definitely a yes. So its a good start once the line comes around 2017 ish.
Old 12th February 2020, 16:04   #12
BHPian

Re: Pune Metro : Is it a good idea ?

Reviving old thread.

Pune metro is reality and I see it is being executed towards completion. Though it is delayed but finally it is coming.

I am really hoping that it will really bring positive changes to the road situations in Pune. If all the extensions are approved and constructed then it will connect all corners of Pune. As a resident of Wakad I see lot of advantage of Pune Metro. It will reduce my daily hassle of travel to work in Hinjewadi. City also becomes easily approachable through metro. Only I hope that last mile connectivity should give emphasis on walk able footpaths and bicycle tracks but seems to be difficult demand. Metro will ease burden from public transport buses which will also help in last mile connectivity.

I also see multi model transport hubs at Balewadi and Swargate are really big hubs. I will be happy to see the presentation converts as is to reality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks