Team-BHP - Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/82859-helping-needy-donation-voluntary-work-charities-5.html)

Sorry to bump this old thread:

I'm looking to donate to a charity which focuses on children education. I have been donating to SOS in the past and I would like to know if there are any other charities that are doing a good job on the ground and are themselves in need of a helping hand.

Any suggestions regarding this?

Hi teambhpians,

I am posting this with a heavy heart - and I turn to you all in this hour of need. There are two fundraisers that need your help as much as possible.
  1. This is for a friend of my dad who lost his life due to COVID recently. He leaves behind a 9 year old kid who and a homemaker wife who are under a ton of debts and have an almost impossible life ahead of them. We cannot replace him, but we can do all that is possible to ease their life and help them in these tough times. Link to campaign here. https://www.ketto.org/fundraiser/sup...ntimely-demise

2. The second campaign is for a ex-colleague of mine - just 24 years old - who is suffering from Ovarian cancer. She had a history of PCOD which spiraled out of control - she had chemotherapy last year and had apparently defeated cancer. But now due to certain complications, it is developing into a hemorrhagic tumor again. To reduce the chance of the cancer relapsing, doctors have recommended tumor removal using laparoscopy and then removal of ovaries. The entire treatment would cost about Rs. 10 to 12L. They are out of funds/loans - due to all the expenses incurred last year in chemo. Please help her out as much as you can - she is the only earning member of a family of 5 and supporting her family with just her salary at this age. Even the smallest of contributions will be significantly helpful. Link https://milaap.org/fundraisers/suppo...rer_id=5431496

Please donate and share as much as possible in your network. Even if you cannot donate, please share in your broader circle where someone might be interested in donating. Both of these people are in a really bad state and it sucks that one person can only do so much for them.

Thanks and regards,
searchingheaven

Hi Senior & Fellow Team BHPians,

This is a request for contributions towards a crowdfunding exercise for supporting a friend, Mahipal Singh Shekhawat’s family who fought valiantly with COVID-19 for 2 months but eventually lost the fight of his life.
He leaves behind a wife who is just a housewife & isn’t professionally qualified & 2 daughters, 14 & 10 years old.

The family already reeling under huge hospitalisation expenses are now under the pressure of also losing their home due to a huge partly paid Home Loan, which is now outstanding.

Mahipal was associated with the Indian Automobile Industry as he spent a decade with Tata Motor Finance looking after CV division collections.
He later got an opportunity with Pratap Group in his hometown Jaipur, who were a big Telecom Network vendors & were looking to enter the Automobile Dealership business.

Mahipal was instrumental in the Group getting their foothold in the industry when they landed their first dealership of Force Motors which was soon followed by dealerships of TVS Motor & BMW Motorrad. This was soon followed by takeover of Renault’s existing business in the district. During his last days, he was working in setting up the group’s Tata Motors Commercial Vehicles dealership.

We have already been able to collect 22% of the targeted amount but contributions have slowed down after the initial participation.

Therefore, I request you all to plz contribute & also share the following link for maximum contributions & reach :

https://milaap.org/fundraisers/suppo...draisers-title

HopeHouse is an NGO from Vellore, working for children affected financially by the pandemic.
I spoke to the Director of HopeHouse to understand their story:
3 classmates of physiotherapy course in Vellore Medical College started Hope House. The director (Ruby Nakka) and Thomas Mathew returned from US to start Hope House. Ruby is working as a full time director of Hope House. He adopted 2 girls from Calcutta while in the US.
That is when they thought they will start an orphanage with 20 girls (who were infected with HIV). They sold most of their assets in the US to start this.
Thomas took his MBBS at the age of 53 to provide free treatment to the poor.

They are listed by GiveIndia. You get tax benefits for donations. You can donate at the below links:

Fund Raiser:
https://fundraisers.giveindia.org/fu...nt-communities

https://www.indiahopehouse.org/donate

It is wise to study the background of the charity you are donating to.
Many of these organizations are involved in missionary and conversion activities using our money. Besides, the heads of these charities travel in great luxury; it is well known that big charity organizations spend over 60 pc of the donations on 'administrative' expenses.
It is always better to directly sponsor a child, a sick person or smaller animal welfare groups.
I personally contribute monthly to Sheetal Chhaya, an animal refuge, that takes in sick, wounded animals and maintains them for life. It is run by a friend who spends most of his own and wife's salary on this; and drives a 20 year old Santro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matizcrazy (Post 5127129)

It is always better to directly sponsor a child, a sick person or smaller animal welfare groups.

+1. Know the organization you are contributing to, so that you know where your money is going.

On the above point, I really appreciate my ex Service Advisor (he moved to Skoda) who sponsors education of two kids in his native.

Quote:

It is wise to study the background of the charity you are donating to. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 5127165)
+1. Know the organization you are contributing to, so that you know where your money is going. ...

My friend is doing internship there - this NGO seems to be genuine. They are audited by GiveIndia foundation every year (not allowed to spend more than 20% for admin expenses).
Their story is given in below youtube (sorry, audio is in Malayalam, I am not able to find an auto-translator).
https://youtu.be/A_ryNXg6iZM

60 percent on donations on 'admin' expenses?

Is this hearsay or fact? Non-profits are pretty highly regulated. I am sure that there are corrupt non-profits just like corrupt corporates / businessmen and babus but to tar all with the same brush is quite ignorant. Do some research and you will be surprised to discover the level of near draconian regulation. If an individual donor has given money, virtually nothing can be used for admin. When big donors like Gates or CSR funds give, then the range can vary from 5-10%. International donors tend to give more for admin, recognizing the realities of running organisations.

As regards missionary and conversion activities, this has always been used as a red herring by various government in the past and today. The simple answer is to ban all foreign currency funding for religious activities but this will not happen. Even VHP America has announced that it will source funds for Ram temple in Ayodhya once the Ayodhya trust has FCRA. Here is their post on this.

It's totally your choice but judging the impact of a non-profit by the yardstick of self-deprivation of its founders is pretty useless. Google non profit impact measurement and you may be surprised by a new universe of thinking.

Quote:

Many of these organizations are involved in missionary and conversion activities using our money. Besides, the heads of these charities travel in great luxury; it is well known that big charity organizations spend over 60 pc of the donations on 'administrative' expenses.
I personally contribute monthly to Sheetal Chhaya, an animal refuge, that takes in sick, wounded animals and maintains them for life. It is run by a friend who spends most of his own and wife's salary on this; and drives a 20 year old Santro.

Respected bhpians

Hello to each and everyone on you,
This is for your kind information that the ad. which is being shown at the homepage of Team-Bhp of "Ketto The 16 Crore required funds etc. is for Master Ayansh Madan.
I know their family and aware of their pain for the loved one.
They used to stay in my colony earlier so people it is very much genuine and therefore it is my kind request to each and everyone to go ahead with the donation no matter what amount. Please spread the same to others as well.
Together we can make a difference

Thank you so much

When i was working, i had the opportunity to undergo a 15 day training with the officers and jawans of the Kumaon Regiment at Ranikhet. It was great. I also had the privilege of working with retired officers from the Indian Army and i learnt a lot from them. Some of my school friends ( more than 50 years back) joined the Armed forces and did us proud.

IT's payback time ; though as i have said it it it is callous to weigh the sacrifices and service done by the armed forces against something as mundane as money.

The thought process started when i was in the ICU after a brain operation. I found it difficult to sleep in the night with the ventilator, ryles tube and catheter all attached. In addition my right hand was tied. The patient alongside my bed was calling out for his son, pretty much through out the night and hearing his pitiful pleas, i called the nurse and asked her what was up? She said that he keeps on calling for his son, who does not come and we are tired of explaining this to him.

Luckily the ventilator tube was removed the next day and i took the opportunity telling him in Gujarati: "Do not worry- We are here with you." I don't know whether he believed it or not, but fact remains that his lamentations lessened. This got me thinking. If one person could give hope to an ill person; what about the plight of soldiers who stay away from their loved ones to defend our country and sacrifice their lives at times. What would their mental torture be?

MY wife is also a die hard patriot and we decided that henceforth we shall not solicit or accept any gifts during any celebrations. We shall instead request them to donate for a worthy cause. We are building a new house and we thought that we could implement this for the house warming ceremony.

My school friend gave me the contact of the person in charge of welfare and i wrote him:
Attachment 2346953

Soon i got a reply:

Attachment 2346954

THe story is not yet over. The real petition comes now:

On our completion of 75 years of Independence:

My wife, suggested that we send out a WhatsApp message to all our contacts, extorting them to contribute at least Rs 75/- to the Army widows fund or any such noble cause. THis would inspire our soldiers that there are people who have their family's interests at heart nd would go forth to battle without fear or mental torture thinking about what would happen to their families?

I wholeheartedly welcomed the idea and on the eve of Independence day we shout out message to our groups and contacts:

On the eve of our 75th Independence day, i have a special request. Our armed forces guard our country and keep us all safe, many sacrificing their life and comforts of being with their family in the process. Let us all contribute at least Rs 75 to the war widows fund, being operated by the Indian Army. This would inspire our jawans and boost up their morale when they see that 125 crore Indians are praying for them and have their well being in mind. It is very easy to contribute: Just scan the QR code given under and contribute as you deem fit. According to me, it is the feeling that they are not alone which is more important, though the money is equally welcome. Look forward to a glorious future. Please share this message among all your groups and friends so that our soldiers know that we are with them all the way. Jayashree & Murli Ranganathan, Ahmedabad.

It was well received. AS mentioned, it is not so much the money but the support of people that would inspire the soldiers- though the money is also important.

So Members: What do you think? We are a big community and if we collectively use our contacts to propagate this message- we main in fact cover a large part of Indians. Wishful thinking? Yes, but the faith is strong. Imagine the power when 125 crore Indians are rooting for you.:Cheering:

The official website of the national war memorial where a link is given for donation:

https://nationalwarmemorial.gov.in/

Reply from Brigadier's office:

bali 2.pdf

Dear Teambhpian's

I'm reaching out to you today to ask for your support for a fellow bhpian's father. Today our fellow member who goes by the username Sportztourer uploaded a video sharing his father's hospitalization and his battle with cholestatic hepatitis, and he is facing high medical expense as a result and has exhausted the limit on Health insurance, his savings and is in the process of selling his Bike in order to fund the future hospital expenses.

Sportztourer has started a fundraiser with the help of Milaap foundation and i wanted to share the same with our community.

Any donation, no matter how small, can make a big difference and help alleviate some of the financial burden that they are facing.

Please visit the https://milaap.org/fundraisers/suppo...ource=Whatsapp Milaap fundraiser link to learn more about the situation and make a donation if you're able to.

Thank You for your generosity and kindness.

https://youtu.be/0HYDWjXOFQQ

Quote:

Originally Posted by revvharder (Post 5539281)
Dear Teambhpian's

I'm reaching out to you today to ask for your support for a fellow bhpian's father.

Hi @revvharder,

Today Milaap intimated me about the sad demise of your friend's father.

Please convey my heartfelt condolences to the family for this irreparable loss.

May his soul attain moksha.🙏

Help for BHPian

I want to share a depressing news of our beloved BHPian - Rajoy123 who is battling cancer for the second time. He is looking for some financial help which would be grateful if something can be done from our community.

They are in need of urgent funds and each contribution will be of great help. I sincerely hope and urge fellow BHPians to contribute and share the fundraiser link with everyone. Let's all join together and help our brother fight this.

I am also sharing Rajoy's latest message that he posted on WhatsApp.

Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities-screenshot-20240417-1.16.488239pm.png

Fundraiser link - https://www.ketto.org/fundraiser/my-...ave-him-908074

Also attaching the hospital summary as well.

12th APRIL discharge summary.pdf