Team-BHP - Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/82859-helping-needy-donation-voluntary-work-charities.html)

I have always wanted to help in any small way i can, to fund charities for noble causes like educating a poor child , help for visually impared , cancer patients etc. From what i gather, even a small amount as little as 100 rs from us can go a big way in helping us do our social responsibilities. So the amount doesnt really matter, what matters is willingness.

Why not use this platform to share any genuine charity organisations (preferably those that accept online donations) for those of us willing to help.

Amy inputs ?

Well I don't know about any organization personally, but a good friend of mine did a run on GQ to raise fund for this organization - http://www.dreamadream.org/. I like my friend & liked to help unprivileged children in the society & hence I contributed some funds this year.

There's another one that I know off, again nothing personally, but I hope they do some good work & needs no introduction - Azim Premji Foundation

I just have started an initiative against child abuse and sexual child abuse, which aims to highlight the global scale.

2 days I launched a website that concentrates on the prevention of cases and help for the affected parties with sound advice. At this moment in time there is a lot more work to be done to turn a (not even) beta site in a site that covers all then eeded aspects.

For this I do not need any funding, but I am preparing a big screen movie, which needs funding that people can se how big the scale is as well as reducing the 250 million new cases annually to as close as possible to none. Although it will never happen to go down to nil, every case prevented is worth the effort.

Unfortunately I am lacking the funds to make the movie production, but I am working on it.

While I do my bit through CRY, I am all game for any initiative by / through Team-BHP.

Mods / Admin: This is a fantastic idea! Am sure most, if not all, BHPians would have wasted that little bit of fuel on drive / meet / regular part of our day. Why don't we relate all such events connected to something that gives back to society?

DCEite,
I am participating in the programs by worldvision. its a charity organisation based out of Chennai, however, they have programs all over the place. Essentially, you can adopt kids, villages, or just fund a project under them. The range varies as per what you can afford or willing to contribute.
The best part about this is , that they send you regular updates on the progress of the children whom you have adopted. Its very interactive, or rather let me put it this way, its as interactive as how much you want it to be. You can even visit the kids, or the villages.
They focus mainly on health, nutrition, enterprise and education.

I am involved with them for the last 4-5 years, and am satisfied in the knowledge that the little contribution I am making is making some difference to someone's life, which I am able to track and see as well.
The website is Sponsor a Child < Home | World Vision - Child Sponsorship

I live close by to the Acharya Sri Rakum school for the blind. I have always donated clothes, money, the things they need [which is put up on a board for the people plying on the streets to see] etc. Its very transparent and you know that your contribution is being used for the cause of the children. Gives me lot of satisfaction doing this.

For Bangalore BHPians, address is as below:
Sri Rakum School For The Blind
No 421, Sri Krishna Temple Road,
Indiranagar Ist Stage,
Bangalore, India.
Pin : 560 038
Tel: +91 (80) 25215253 / +91 (80) 25215705
Email: rakumrakum@yahoo.com
Website: Content | Sri Rakum School For The Blind - A Charity Institution in Bangalore, India

Omashram is a charitable organization looking after the elderly in Bangalore.

Visit Omashram Home || to know more. Donations can be made online, and tax exemptions can also be claimed on donations made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 1918148)
I live close by to the Acharya Sri Rakum school for the blind.

Strange to see my former Sensei Shihan Rakum called as Acharya.:) After the death of his idol/teacher Mas Oyama, he totally lost interest in teaching regular Karate students, and started helping/teaching handicapped children. Why is he called Acharya now?

But please consider helping somebody directly than giving to major charities. Most charities spend a lot on administrative expenses. Personally, we are looking at helping parents of autistic kids who can't afford the treatment expenses. Just eliminate the middlemen if possible.

You can also try World Environment day 2010 . They accept online donations and some of the NGO's I've worked with in the past do accept donations through them.

dceite try and speak to CRY. Its like 1200/- for the sponsorship of a child for a year which includes his education and miscellaneous stuff.
Else in Bangalore we have APD(Association of people with disability) THE ASSOCIATION OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITY . If you need any help let me know.

This is more along the lines of micro-finance and small business loans, but its a pretty cool site + concept :

Kiva - Loans that change lives

cya
R

Another option is this:
Make a social investment today

The website explains it all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1918212)
Strange to see my former Sensei Shihan Rakum called as Acharya.:) After the death of his idol/teacher Mas Oyama, he totally lost interest in teaching regular Karate students, and started helping/teaching handicapped children. Why is he called Acharya now?

But please consider helping somebody directly than giving to major charities. Most charities spend a lot on administrative expenses. Personally, we are looking at helping parents of autistic kids who can't afford the treatment expenses. Just eliminate the middlemen if possible.

Well when i first saw this school for the blind, it was called as Acharya Sri Rakum School for blind. But noticed on the website that its now just Sri Rakum School for the blind. So not sure if i noticed it right or not.

Coming to the donations, i have donated monetarily once or twice. Rest all the time it has been clothes, food items or needy stuff for the kids which is more frequent.

Guys what about Giveindia.org ?
Seems to have a wide variety and even choice of Tax exemption (80G v/s 35AT)

Helpageindia is an org dedicated to help the elderly.
Then there's another org consisting of major IT industries. But I forgot the name. This org is dedicated to provide school material for children for an year.