Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 19:59   #1
BHPian

Bringing a Pet to India

Hey guys,

I'm traveling to India in a couple of weeks. I have a puppy about 5 months old. We can't leave him back in Hong Kong, so we'll have to bring him with us to the motherland (India).

What are the customs procedures for bringing a pet? As we all know our country's customs is the one of the worst. My port on entry would be Mumbai if that makes any difference.

Also what would be the procedure also when leaving Mumbai, as it might be different.

Any direct or indirect (leads/contacts for info) help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10th June 2010, 20:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Hey guys,

I'm traveling to India in a couple of weeks. I have a puppy about 5 months old. We can't leave him back in Hong Kong, so we'll have to bring him with us to the motherland (India).

What are the customs procedures for bringing a pet? As we all know our country's customs is the one of the worst. My port on entry would be Mumbai if that makes any difference.

Also what would be the procedure also when leaving Mumbai, as it might be different.

Any direct or indirect (leads/contacts for info) help would be greatly appreciated!
First of all you would need a mandatory NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE from the ANIMAL QUARANTINE STATION located in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and
Chennai. It takes about 5-7 days and has to be obtained through your agent. Documents required are Vaccination details, Government issued veterinary certificate from the exporting country, flight details. Your agent should deposit this NOC at the arrival airport before you board your flight. You will get your copy by mail/fax.

Some links for info:-

The government policy site.

Import Procedure - Import and Export - Agriculture - Citizens: National Portal of India

One of the company which deals with the transportation.

Pet Vacations India where you can holiday with your dog, cat, etc.

Disclaimer : I am not related to this company/site anyway.
Old 16th June 2010, 21:45   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the help and links TaureanBull.

Appreciate it!
Old 16th June 2010, 22:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

do you really wanna put your little puppy through that much of a hassle. it will probably have to be sedated when its on the flight and it will be in the cargo hold. i would never put my dog through all that.

please try and think of an alternative.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
do you really wanna put your little puppy through that much of a hassle. it will probably have to be sedated when its on the flight and it will be in the cargo hold. i would never put my dog through all that.

please try and think of an alternative.
Don't think it will do the pet any harm during this process. I am sure utmost care is taken by officials of the airliner. Also, I remember someone telling me that the Dogs(or any other pet) don't necessarily go into the cargo hold area because there is no Cabin Pressure Control(?) in the cargo/lack of supply of oxygen.

I am sure they have special ways to do it. And most people who travel with pets on any vacation they take looking for pet friendly hotels, etc are a boost of confidence to go through this without thinking about the negatives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks