Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 18:46   #1
BHPian

Is this the world's craziest bridge?

I don't know if the Pearl River Necklace bridge is the craziest bridge ever designed, but it sure looks like the most twisted one. It's a clever solution to a very real and obvious problem, however.

The bridge is part of a proposal by NL Architects to connect Hong Kong with mainland China. To do that, they had to solve a problem: In Hong Kong, people drive on the left side of the road. In mainland China, they drive on the right side. Here's the solution: A road flipper that physically twists the roads over each other.

Source: NL architects: hong kong boundaries crossing facilities
Old 12th June 2010, 19:00   #2
BHPian

What if the river is flooded?
Old 12th June 2010, 19:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
What if the river is flooded?
It is not a river, but sea

I have traveled from HK to Shenzen and back several times, but never felt the bridge to be like this
Old 12th June 2010, 19:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dunno about crazy but that is beautiful! And its not often you say that about something as mundane as a bridge
Old 12th June 2010, 20:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

That's fantastic; I'm impressed by the way the Govt thinks for its people & how to make their life easier; But here?
Thanks for sharing @Sokhi

Last edited by aargee : 12th June 2010 at 20:31.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The lower part of the bridge looks like it is almost on the water, but look at the scale: see the buses/trucks on the bridge? You could drive one of those underneath.

This is only an artist's impression. One hopes that, for the finished product, the engineers and architects will get their tide and possible wave hight calculations right!
Old 12th June 2010, 23:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I have traveled from HK to Shenzen and back several times, but never felt the bridge to be like this
Because this design is just a proposal
Old 13th June 2010, 01:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsokhi View Post

I don't know if the Pearl River Necklace bridge is the craziest bridge ever designed, but it sure looks like the most twisted one. It's a clever solution to a very real and obvious problem, however.

The bridge is part of a proposal by NL Architects to connect Hong Kong with mainland China. To do that, they had to solve a problem: In Hong Kong, people drive on the left side of the road. In mainland China, they drive on the right side. Here's the solution: A road flipper that physically twists the roads over each other.

Source: NL architects: hong kong boundaries crossing facilities
This is nothing if you've been to Bangalore.

You should see how we flip traffic from left to right on Richmond Circle fly-over....and also in front of Garuda Mall. The switch is as smooth as butter.
You drive like an Indian till Lifestyle and before you realize, you're an American driving in front of Garuda Mall. WOW. Our brilliant cops.

Old 13th June 2010, 03:49   #9
BHPian

Also for 1-2 minutes i've search, this is the ONLY pic visible on the web.

does anyone has link to more pics of this bridge....
Old 13th June 2010, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Few links...

Panoramio - Photo of New bridge China-Hong Kong

Panoramio - Photo of Westport bridge from Shenzhen side

Panoramio - Untitled photo

It has got gps coordinates so one can see it via Google maps.

Is this the world's craziest bridge?-1capture.jpg

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 13th June 2010 at 11:52.
Old 20th June 2010, 20:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
This is nothing if you've been to Bangalore.
True! There is also another place near Majestic (Railway under bridge, I think leads you to Rajaji Nagar).

BTW, on another note, this Richmond Circle Flyover has another distinction if what I heard was true. It goes to say - it's only fly-over in the world that had a traffic cop on the top to control the traffic (was originally built for non-stop traffic flow across a busy junction/intersection). And still we keep thinking on how to be innovative on using this flyover, changing the traffic directions every now and then!

Hail the planners.

Cheers,
KK
Old 20th June 2010, 22:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
True! There is also another place near Majestic (Railway under bridge, I think leads you to Rajaji Nagar).

BTW, on another note, this Richmond Circle Flyover has another distinction if what I heard was true. It goes to say - it's only fly-over in the world that had a traffic cop on the top to control the traffic (was originally built for non-stop traffic flow across a busy junction/intersection). And still we keep thinking on how to be innovative on using this flyover, changing the traffic directions every now and then!

Hail the planners.

Cheers,
KK
After so many trail & errors the best solution would be to demolish the existing Richmond circle flyover, redesign & reconstruct (if a solution is found).
Any way its public Money not the designers.
Old 20th June 2010, 23:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
After so many trail & errors the best solution would be to demolish the existing Richmond circle flyover, redesign & reconstruct (if a solution is found).
Any way its public Money not the designers.
SSsssshhhhhh...you shouldn't say such things.
They're designed by our "brilliant" city planners by taking detailed measurements of each and every vehicle's length, breadth, height, weight, driver's height, weight, traffic density during peak hours...and what not.

It's not fair on your part to say such things. They know what they're doing. Trust me.

-- Torqy
Old 20th June 2010, 23:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Dunno about crazy but that is beautiful! And its not often you say that about something as mundane as a bridge

Bridges are not always mundane, try surfing for Santiago calatrava in Google and see how bridges can be

caltrava bridges - Google Search

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks