Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 18:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
I understand the efforts required would be much more with this program, but hey this is what MBA is for, learning quality management knowledge rather than just getting the certificate. Because knowledge you can apply but certificate will just hung on the wall (Just my thoughts no offense to anyone please).
been watching 3 idiots lately?

Jokes apart, it is definitely a sensible choice.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
@humans, Congrats!

Whats the pedagogy? Asynchronous online?
Thanks. The pedagogy is complete offline self study from official course material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
been watching 3 idiots lately?

Jokes apart, it is definitely a sensible choice.
Although movie is with good message, but my character/thinking precedes it by a long long way, I am a born idiot. Always read full books in school and college and not keys, guides for any subject and the result is I still remember most of theorems, formulas after 14 yrs of leaving college.

Last edited by humans : 30th June 2010 at 19:18.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:51   #33
BHPian

Re: MBA in India - distance learning

*Bump*

hi,

I am thinking of doing a DL to further my career. The thing is i have done my PGDM soon after my graduation from a so-so college. Post my PGDM in 2007, i have worked in Corporate Sales, Brand Management and landed up in IT for the money.

I am hoping that a DL will help me further my career and give me atleast a jump of two positions.

Please advice, if its a fair expectation to have from a DL.

(counting on JVH, Samurai and Humans)

Last edited by mac187 : 3rd August 2011 at 15:52.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

@mac, by DL you mean distance learning?

There are 100s of distance learning courses, some useful, some not. Until you specify the course, it will be difficult to judge whether it will give you a career boost or not.

Most people go for a distance learning course to get a Masters degree in their resume. In your case, you already have one. So technically your resume is not getting a boost
And in general, just another degree won't help much anyways.

Edit: @Humans any update on your course?

Last edited by Jaguar : 3rd August 2011 at 17:01.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:06   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I am hoping that a DL will help me further my career and give me atleast a jump of two positions.
Good DL mainly gives you knowledge. I don't think it will automatically give you a two position jump. If you want jump, consider executive MBA with a college well recognised in India.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
*Bump*

Post my PGDM in 2007, i have worked in Corporate Sales, Brand Management and landed up in IT for the money.

Please advice, if its a fair expectation to have from a DL.

(counting on JVH, Samurai and Humans)

It would be better if you can clarify what position you want to reach ?
If its PM, then there are specific courses which you can take up as DL and get certification.
Else try switching job, if you have enough "work" experience related to the position you desire.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:05   #37
BHPian

I was in the same frame of mind few years back, five and half to be precise.
I was in Merchant Navy and was dead sure that this MBA wouldn't help me anyways. However still wanted to do
-to understand business environment better,
-have at least some edge in the industry where people celebrate obtaining licenses as if they are chosen to lead the country
-being from a family full of Mtechs, MEs and MBAs, to not feel alienated.

I wonder if the MBA seeker will have any of the above relevent but would still narrate my experiences of IGNOU.
As mentioned earlier, the entrance exam was damn easy and since they go by cut off marks almost every average guy gets into.

One goes on earning DiM, PGDiM after clearing 8 and 16 papers respectively. So if a working person has to break the course mid-way, something is gained rather than losing all.

I feel no one should write off IGNOU just like that.

Rgds.

Examination system is very systematic, excellent web based support and very caring study centre staff.

Now it is already 5 years since I started and I am still on it. One can complete at his own leisure, max 6 yrs allowed. I hope to finish prior hitting this upper ceiling.

Off-late I suddenly thought of trying SAP in plant maintenance. I was surprised to see that my PGDiM-Maint Mgmt. being acknowledged irrespective of having it completed over 4 yrs and it being from IGNOU.

I had considered other MBAs but found they were very expensive, had weird examination system, very limited geographic spread. So IGNOU turned out tobe optimal choice. Moreover these degrees are acceptable by various govt agencies for employment. In today's world I see a lotof people seeking govt jobs for comparatively less work pressure, leave bonanza and 6th pay commission renumeration. These are bright guys who could have easily made into private sector but they value quality of life in terms of moderate work pressure and more time for family over slightly higher renumeration in private sector.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:21   #38
BHPian

I will put down a few lines about me to putforth the context. I have done my MBA in 2007, post that worked as BD in corporate sales ITES sector for about 1.10 yrs. Then worked in Brand Management for close to 2 years in Financial sector. Moved to IT about a year ago, working a Associate Consultant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Until you specify the course, it will be difficult to judge whether it will give you a career boost or not.
I recently heard about Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIMK) course "Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Management”. I too think that a regular DL is to add weight to your resume. I wonder if IIM tag would help be get better opportunities and positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Good DL mainly gives you knowledge. I don't think it will automatically give you a two position jump. If you want jump, consider executive MBA with a college well recognised in India.
I had done fairly well during my MBA, problem is most of it was not utilised as i started from down the ladder in all my jobs. Having a MBA degree has become a bare minimum these days.

You mean like a full time course rite? I havent thought of a full time course, not sure if i will be up to college life after 4 years of break. Will give it a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
It would be better if you can clarify what position you want to reach ?
If its PM, then there are specific courses which you can take up as DL and get certification.
Else try switching job, if you have enough "work" experience related to the position you desire.
Like most IT jaunta, i don't see myself as a competent IT guy. I am good at sales and advertising kind of profile both of which i have done for 2 yrs each. I moved to IT only because of the 100% jump in my salary which IT offered. A middle management kind of position in either of the two would be desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
I was in the same frame of mind few years back, five and half to be precise.
From your post, i think you didnt have a PG degree before you joined IGNOU rite. I have done a full time MBA already but currently looking at a executive program to accelerate my career growth.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I will put down a few lines about me to putforth the context. I have done my MBA in 2007, post that worked as BD in corporate sales ITES sector for about 1.10 yrs. Then worked in Brand Management for close to 2 years in Financial sector. Moved to IT about a year ago, working a Associate Consultant.

I recently heard about Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIMK) course "Executive Post Graduate Diploma in Management”. I too think that a regular DL is to add weight to your resume. I wonder if IIM tag would help be get better opportunities and positions.

Like most IT jaunta, i don't see myself as a competent IT guy. I am good at sales and advertising kind of profile both of which i have done for 2 yrs each. I moved to IT only because of the 100% jump in my salary which IT offered. A middle management kind of position in either of the two would be desirable.
You are right. It has to be from top institute like IIM (Exe-PGDM).
Since you already have MBA degree, another DL in management from lesser institute wont add any value.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:11   #40
JVH
Senior - BHPian

mac187 - Looking at your profile, I honestly don't feel that DL is going to add value either to your abilities or your resume. Except the IIM tag, you will be adding nothing. If you hadn't done your MBA, then maybe it was a good option.

And also, expecting a position jump or 2 by doing DL is wishful thinking . That is very much possible by a 1 year residential programme though.
Old 4th August 2011, 16:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
You are right. It has to be from top institute like IIM (Exe-PGDM).
Since you already have MBA degree, another DL in management from lesser institute wont add any value.
I am looking at IIM or a specialized institute like MICA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
mac187 - Looking at your profile, I honestly don't feel that DL is going to add value either to your abilities or your resume. Except the IIM tag, you will be adding nothing. If you hadn't done your MBA, then maybe it was a good option.

And also, expecting a position jump or 2 by doing DL is wishful thinking . That is very much possible by a 1 year residential programme though.
You mean even a DL from IIM will not be helpful? I came across this program from IIM-K which has classes three days a week and course duration is 2 years. They provide e-PGDM at the end of the course. Have you heard about it? Is it any good?

Also, when we talk 1yr residential programme, we are talking ISB or IIM, is there any other good institute in the same league?
Old 4th November 2011, 12:37   #42
BHPian

** Bumping an Old thread for some Update & information **

My wife is interested in pursuing an executive MBA program and we are evaluating options for her. She has done BE in cse & now a Sr. Software Engr in a small scale IT company @Hyd.

She intends to move her career towards a lesser time intensive job and settle down before we plan to extend our family. She is more interested in the project management and Operations domain and also actively takes part in many NGO activities alongwith my mother.

We have ruled out classroom/regular MBA programs and are only looking at either distance learning (interactive online) programs or WEEKEND Classroom programs.

I have come across HUGES Education which offers various distance learning prgms from reputed IIMs and BSchools worldwide. Alternately, I have also seen an interesting classroom EMBA program offered by ITM which results in an Executive MBA, after 1 yr and the classes are held on weekends for 6 hr durations. They have centers in Hyd, Banglore & chennai as well. So in case i shift my job (I m in a decision making phase on various offers i have right now) it shall not be difficult for her to move in either.

I am looking for suggestions and info from you guys on the above mentioned options as well as any thing better that you feel I should know. I personally dont have any information on what's better among the two programs I mentioned and hence your information will be relied upon hugely ! Thanks a lot in advance guys
Old 4th November 2011, 13:05   #43
BHPian

Chidambaram university offers distance learning MBA course. Equally recognised and having lot of test centers in south India. Good for the people who wants a hassel free PG certificate. Google for more details.
Old 4th November 2011, 15:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran View Post
Chidambaram university offers distance learning MBA course. Equally recognised and having lot of test centers in south India. Good for the people who wants a hassel free PG certificate. Google for more details.
Do you mean Annamalai University ? i dont think Annamalai University has brand name or course content that can match either of the options i mentioned, but i believe it should be very economical considering its a govt. undertaking
Old 4th November 2011, 15:33   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Do you mean Annamalai University ?
Yes I meant Annamalai university. I have also mentioned that it is for the people who wants for hassle free degree.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks