Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 14:46   #1
BHPian

Has 'Google Search' changed over the years?

I've been a regular user of Google search engine since its inception. But off late, I've been seeing a drastic change in the quality of the results from this search engine. Most of the links that come up in the first page are no longer spot on. They either direct us to a money minting website or to someother website that asks for registration and provides no useful info.

While I agree that Google is not a social service provider, I did not expect Google to compromise on Quality. I always looked at Google as the Gateway to internet. Now suddenly, internet looks like a Restaurant which makes 1000dishes but with a menu card that shows only five out of them.

Are there any alternate search engines to Google? I know bling, but not pretty impressed with it. Any other better search engines?

Last edited by CliffHanger : 9th July 2010 at 14:47.
Old 9th July 2010, 16:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hmm interesting. I work in the search business (not Google for the record) and would watch this thread closely.
Search has definitely changed over the years but I don't see the degrade in quality over the years. I think you are talking about the ads at the top and bottom of the page. If you look closely, the ads have a separate background color and the actual results are in white background. Do you feel the quality drop in those results as well?
I just did a search in google and found the result to be quite good. In fact, I don't see any ads as well. Donno when google removed the ads.
If you can give examples of specific search queries you are using or a screenshot of the results, I may be able to help you more.
Old 9th July 2010, 16:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well I have an opposite view. The google search has improved a lot over the years and gives me the most relevant results.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

+1

I hold a diametrically opposed view from the OP. Can you post examples rather than we only alleging?
Old 9th July 2010, 17:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

The search results are only as good as the quality of the query and keywords used for the search. For the record, all search engines are above average but the results are nowhere relevant as Google's.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
The search results are only as good as the quality of the query and keywords used for the search. For the record, all search engines are above average but the results are nowhere relevant as Google's.
+1
I didn't want to say this because CliffHanger claims to be a regular user of Google and I suppose his querying skills have not deteriorated over the years.
Old 9th July 2010, 18:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think google's results are personalized too. if you logoff and search as anonymous, you might get different results.

May be you have been encouraging those sites by picking them up again and again

EDIT: I think the personalization is (also?) coming from geographic data. my search results almost always include cincinnati, dayton and indianapolis, regardless of whether I am signed in or not.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 9th July 2010 at 18:58.
Old 9th July 2010, 19:13   #8
BHPian

Maybe google standards haven't gone down,
but search marketing professionals may have become 'smarter' and are learning and understanding more about google's secret search algorithms and exploiting it.
Old 9th July 2010, 19:44   #9
BANNED

It's constant war between Google & guys who game their search engine. Google isn't as good today at it was 7-8 years back. However, it's still better than 2-3 years back when the gamers had really screwed it up using link farms.

Why not try Bing also? I have been using Bing alongside google for the last 6 months or so. Occasionally Bing gives me better results than Google. The search engine games haven't attacked Bing much yet.
Old 9th July 2010, 20:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

For those uninitiated.

Google ranks the pages by an algorithm called PageRank(name courtesy Larry Page one of the founders). Going by the way things are its by far the best algorithm for getting the right page you are seeking for.

There have been many people like Bing etc who have try to disprove this algorithm and even claimed to have better ones but all have failed. And that too its very very difficult to mimick over rather bypass this algorithm.

I vouch for Google's quality (so have many research papers) as I know how this algorithm works and can by basic judgmental instinct claim that its almost flawless.

- I have no stake or interests in google.
Old 9th July 2010, 20:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I vouch for Google's quality (so have many research papers) as I know how this algorithm works and can by basic judgmental instinct claim that its almost flawless.
Just curious, but if this algorithm is so good, why don't other search engines use it too? Is there some kind of patent or restriction that prevents other companies from using it?
Old 9th July 2010, 20:44   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Just curious, but if this algorithm is so good, why don't other search engines use it too? Is there some kind of patent or restriction that prevents other companies from using it?
Pagerank is patented. The patent is owned by Stanford University & Google has exclusive rights to the algorithm till 2011. The patent expires in 2017. After 2011 till 2017, other companies can also license the patent from Stanford - i.e. Google exclusive license ends in 2011.
Old 9th July 2010, 21:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I've been a regular user of Google search engine since its inception. But off late, I've been seeing a drastic change in the quality of the results from this search engine. Most of the links that come up in the first page are no longer spot on. They either direct us to a money minting website or to someother website that asks for registration and provides no useful info.

Are there any alternate search engines to Google? I know bling, but not pretty impressed with it. Any other better search engines?
I have been using Google to very good effect over a decade now and no complaints on Quality search results aspect. So, I am quite surprised with this.
1. If you can provide some examples, it would really help everybody understand what exactly you mean by quality results.
2. Have you tried changing the search URL ? i.e. localisation bit ? Try changing between .com and co.in and see the difference. Google presents it's results based on the location of the requester. So, if the IP address is based in India then it would naturally give results based on google.co.in and so on.
3. Lastly, but a distinct possibility. Check if your PC has caught a spy/malaware. Simple way to find out if - ask someone else (preferably from a n Office PC) to run the same search criteria and verify that you both receive same results. If you do not then you might have problems. Scan your PC using a good Security Software. Also, try installing another browser and find out if the results are same.

Hope this helps.
Old 9th July 2010, 21:19   #14
BHPian

Page formation and framing has improved, google has nearly filtered dead urls. Recently the page segmentation and colour pixel rate has also been improved. Google should incorporate mp3 search tab like that of woonz.com.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

I really cannot comment if Google is not better over the years. Few months ago, when I kept searching for some technical articles, it always threw up experts-exchange.com & I couldn't view the answers unless I subscribe to experts-exchange. So finally I made an annual subscription to experts-exchange. Recently I've observed that none of my queries are being directed to experts-exchanged, unless I specifically search the string on this website. Something really strange that I've been thinking over several weeks now & found this place to share.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks