Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2005, 14:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

Another Expressway accident makes the papers.

This time its an actor who lost control of his Safari after his tyre blew and claims he was flung out of the car even though he was wearing his seatbelt.

The question here is if he was really wearing his belt, what are the odds of him being thrown out, unless the pretenionser malfunctioned and the belt remained slack.

Linky

Last edited by Rtech : 11th November 2005 at 14:52.
Old 11th November 2005, 14:56   #2
BHPian

He is one lucky dude to survive the crash but it will be interesting to know that how he was thrown out of the vehicle with seatbelts on, i am hearing it for the first time
Old 11th November 2005, 15:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Damn! This stupid reporter keeps on referring to Safari as 'his jeep'. No wonder, that guy got thrown out while wearing seat belts. What a piece of junk!
Old 11th November 2005, 16:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Damn! This stupid reporter keeps on referring to Safari as 'his jeep'. No wonder, that guy got thrown out while wearing seat belts. What a piece of junk!

hahahahah ! just another one to prove the fact that news reporters will never get their car facts right...

~A
Old 11th November 2005, 18:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had no option but to apply the emergency brakes
Tata Safari has emergency brakes? Jus like our train compartments have? "Pull in case of emergency" ?? Hmmmm.... no wonder it didnt work!!
Old 11th November 2005, 19:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

that his tire blew at 140 means either it was old or it wasnt properly maintained.....and what is emergency brake????? hahhaha...and how can cattle suddenly cross his path when he is doing such high speeds.....

doing 140 in the night is foolishness...

Last edited by speedsatya : 11th November 2005 at 19:22.
Old 11th November 2005, 19:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that his tire blew at 140 means either it was old or it wasnt properly maintained.....
Not necessarily, he jumped on brakes hard and burnt rubber.

Quote:
doing 140 in the night is foolishness...
I know a certain person, who does 140 all the time in day and night on Mumbai-Mangalore highway (not even expressway )
Old 11th November 2005, 19:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

I still find it strange that he got thrown out of the vehicle even though he was belted...no mention about whether his driver was thrown out or not.

Seatbelt malfunction? Or just plain stupid/tired/inebriated driver?
Old 11th November 2005, 19:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I still find it strange that he got thrown out of the vehicle even though he was belted...no mention about whether his driver was thrown out or not.
You still find it strange? Even when the guy crashed out of a safari and when he was inspecting it for damage, it turned out to be his jeep. You can use your brain for more important things. For all we know, that actor would have belted his driver instead of him. Afterall, he is just the driver.
Old 11th November 2005, 19:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

and as usual midday tries to spice up things . . .

manson.
Old 11th November 2005, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You still find it strange? Even when the guy crashed out of a safari and when he was inspecting it for damage, it turned out to be his jeep..
Errr... I dont get it - was it a Safari or a Jeep in real life?
Old 11th November 2005, 20:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

jeep

its strange but i've noticed a lot of people in america refer to any SUV, in general, as a Jeep.
it is difficult on the nerves....
Old 11th November 2005, 20:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

What a dipstick. What was he doing driving at 140kmh (87mph). I never bother doing that on Motorways in the UK as I have seen what the results are of driving at high speeds. I would rather arrive a few minutes late than not arrive at all.

Seeing as he has admitted to driving at 140KMh should he not be charged with speeding ?
Old 11th November 2005, 22:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not necessarily, he jumped on brakes hard and burnt rubber.
RX, I think it's only possible if the tyres are old or defective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
Seeing as he has admitted to driving at 140KMh should he not be charged with speeding?
Nothing can be done just because he's saying he was doing 140. Besides, often you get to see one or two jeeps (not Safari) or Sumos with some guys waiting under the bridge with speed guns. Actually, (or my experience) they allow up to 100km. Though rule says 80km. One mad guy stands in the middle of the road pointing his speed gun at you. Another guy stands next to him, waving his hands, signaling you to stop...and also ready to run after you in case you don't...

If you stop and don't have any valid reason for speeding, they charge you 500/-. If you don't have any real reason, they charge 1000/-. This is under motor vehicle act # 184, to be precise. That's what that challan guy told me.

My case was valid according to them. I had my 5.30 ticket for Bangalore. They stopped me around 3.30.

In this case it was a cattle crossing the road. Not surprising at all. I've seen this many a times.
Old 11th November 2005, 22:36   #15
Team-BHP Support

I confused, did the car roll over? coz that is not mentioned. Did he get thrown out of the window or the door?

I like the way he has mentioned his driver's name is though, got his name in the papers. lol.

And amitoj & speedsatya, "emergency brake" aka "E-Brake" is another term used for handbrake / parking brake.
Although, as usual, the reported doesnt seem to be clued in about cars.

Well, atleast the guy was honest enough to admit he was doing 140km/h, and its good noone was seriously injured.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th November 2005 at 22:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks