Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 15:12   #1
BHPian

Love Parade turns Death trap!

The Love Parade this year in Duisburg turned tragic for 19 people who died and about more than 300 who were injured in a stampede.

Love Parade Tragedy: In the Tunnel of Death - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

I was at this unfortunate venue on Saturday and had no clue about it till one of my friend called me to ask me about my well being. Me and my friends were really fortunate to have escaped the stampede minutes before it all started.

Coming out of the tunnel we found a breach in the fencing and got out to the venue. There were scores of people climbing huge containers or using the only narrow staircase out to the venue. Once out in the open to the venue we were happy and partying till the end of the Love Parade unaware like the rest of the crowd there about what had just happened in the tunnel minutes after we came out of it.

It was really unfortunate and really bad organisation on part of the organizers to have chosen such a venue especially when they knew that a lone entrance cum exit for about a million people is a disaster waiting to happen. From the last Love Parade in Dortmund (which I was again a part of) itself they should have expected a huge crowd since about 1.6 million people were estimated to have visited there in 2008.

At first it was amusing to see people climbing huge containers and then scaling the rest of the wall to climb out to the venue with the help of friends or volunteers. The lone and narrow staircase was surely not enough to handle influx of a huge crowd. Thankfully a section of the fence was breached just as we came out if the tunnel and we were able to climb out otherwise we could also have been contributing to the statistic.

It is really really sad that people who came to have some fun ended up dead or injured. My condolences to all the people affected by it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks