Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2005, 20:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Error in Gmail !?

I just checked out my Trash Folder in Gmail, and it says that "messages older than 30 days will be automatically deleted". But to my surprise, i found that none of the messages that i have moved so far into the Trash Folder have been deleted (it includes messsages more than 5 months old!). So is that an error.. or am i missing something..?..
Old 13th November 2005, 23:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

i del my old mails even from trash folder.

did you try moving old mails back to inbox?
Old 13th November 2005, 23:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Gmail is still in Beta testing... Bugs are expected...
Old 14th November 2005, 00:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

From Google privacy page
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/more.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by from given link
Data retention

Some news stories have suggested that Google intends to keep copies of users' email messages even after they've deleted them, or closed their accounts. This is simply not true. Google keeps multiple backup copies of users' emails so that we can recover messages and restore accounts in case of errors or system failure. Even if a message has been deleted or an account is no longer active, messages may remain on our backup systems for some period of time. This is standard practice in the email industry, which Gmail and other major webmail services follow in order to provide a reliable service for users. We will make reasonable efforts to remove deleted information from our systems as quickly as is practical.
Besides you have like 2.6 GB of mailbox
I don't think few mails in trash can make any difference

besides if you want you can report to google
Gmail help center
Old 14th November 2005, 08:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
i del my old mails even from trash folder.

did you try moving old mails back to inbox?
Yes i did it.. i am able to move mails dated as old as July!!.. and i can view them perfectly in Trash folder and move them here and there....
Old 14th November 2005, 11:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

yeh i tried that too.it said they will be deleted but mails in trash never get deleted unless yu do it yourself.i basically use gmail as a storage so dont delete much.just send it to the archive.
Old 14th November 2005, 13:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

dceite, most likely it is not a bug and they are doing it because they are not facing storage crunch right now.

As they start approaching limit on their storage space, they will eventually clean up deleted mails. This way you have yet another chance to retrieve your deleted e-mail, while gmail doesn't need to allocate extra space for you.

Since they would like to clean it up anytime, they do not want to commit anything to you about deleted items.

Disclaimer: This may not exactly be the case with gmail, but this is how a typical software product manager thinks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks