Team-BHP - Went to eat biryani, offered free Cockroach!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Went to eat biryani, offered free Cockroach! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/86353-went-eat-biryani-offered-free-cockroach.html)

PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A MEAL - PIC MAY PUT YOU OFF
I am never a big fan of eating out at Andhra outlets, as i know they work on volumes and hardly emphasize on cleanliness and hygiene( rem the photo we got with a lizard sometime back in biryani delivered at home?)
Thought that Nagarjuna at the location parallel to CMH road is better as have been there to eat once before and on the outside it looked a standard place.
Ordered chicken biryani and was halfway through when luckily see a dead cockroach in the plate, before i lay my hands on it!!
Called the waiter and promptly took a couple of snaps of it and told him, this will be seen by 1000's now. There was no mood left to eat anything else and we prepared to leave and not make a ruckus there, which maybe anyone else will have done in our place.
Action was speedy at least in getting in someone higher up and apparently the manager came and apologized ( after asking what happened and being shown the pic, as if he did not know)
They claimed it has happened the first time and apologized. We asked him if they follow any pest control or hygiene here, and what will they do now?
He just said we will have the bill cancelled, which was the min expected!
Anyways, we just left after cordially mentioning that they need to take care, and answering a couple of folks around who asked as to what happened.
My question: Can i do something more to ensure some action is taken as i seriously doubt the system ( food inspection etc in india)?
I am posting this just to bring this to notice of potential customers- watch out and be careful of what you eat, we are open to such incidents.
The outlet in mention is Nagarjuna just next to CMH road where a very upscale restaurant called Nakshatra is also housed

There are no free lunches the price you paid for the biryani also included the cockroach, Well what you can do now is have a glass of water and forget it, good that you posed here now this place will definitely be on our must avoid list,

Thanks,
Pramod

I will add to this. Recently did the trip to Shivasamundaram. There is Kamat eatery just next to MacDonald's. Well went there to have meal.

Now usually I am very forgiving. I found a insect in the meal. I pushed it aside and continued. lol: (Hostel training)

Now another one is found. I push the plate away. Too much for me.
Food was bad.

Stay away from that place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkh (Post 2005399)
There was no mood left to eat anything else and we prepared to leave and not make a ruckus there, which maybe anyone else will have done in our place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkh (Post 2005399)
My question: Can i do something more to ensure some action is taken as i seriously doubt the system ( food inspection etc in india)?

Yeah. By creating a ruckus.

Very unfortunate MKH, my similar experience -

- Chicken feather in chicken kabab
- Worm in salad

:eek:

Both the above in the food court in Manyata Tech park of all places !! Upon bringing it to their notice, the bills were canceled, but I doubt anything was done in terms of pest control. I dont think any regular effective inspections are being carried out by the authorities for such joints. (or any place for that matter)

I feel its only the bigger multinational outlets such as Pizza hut, KFC, Mcdonalds etc who follow some hygiene norms.

One look inside the kitchen of even lavish restaurants will put you off due to unpleasant, unhygienic conditions. This is reality for most restaurants sadly. Forget about unhygienic conditions of cook/waiters.

Such incidences should be at least reported to local health office who actually are responsible to audit these eateries on periodic basis.

In my last visit to Barista, found small glass (you read it correct) pieces nicely crushed with ice in ice coffee.

thats just too bad , i am sure its happened to a lot of us
on a funny note : you are already eating a dead chicken , what is a dead cockroach going to do ? :d

This is the secret of all resturant food.

Just remember, it is good to make a ruckus (if you are in the mood for it) but DO NOT send the food back to the kitchen and ask for a 'fresh' serving.

Try sending the photo and a brief email to a couple of Bangalore daily papers.

mkh
Nothing much you can do. If you want you can email Bangalore times and Bangalore mirror. They might publish your story in their paper.

Home food is the best lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit (Post 2005431)
Very unfortunate MKH, my similar experience -

- Chicken feather in chicken kabab
- Worm in salad

Both the above in the food court in Manyata Tech park of all places !! Upon bringing it to their notice, the bills were canceled, but I doubt anything was done in terms of pest control. I dont think any regular effective inspections are being carried out by the authorities for such joints. (or any place for that matter)

I feel its only the bigger multinational outlets such as Pizza hut, KFC, Mcdonalds etc who follow some hygiene norms.

What? Which stall? It never happened to us.

With the level of hygiene maintained by most restaurants, these things are very common.
I had a opportunity to visit the kitchens of some of the best restaurants in Bangalore, some 4 star and 5 star. I am not going to name them though. It was the most dirty and filthy kitchens I have ever seen, each kitchen competing with others in filthiness. YUCK!
It did really did put me off restaurant meals for sure. Now I only eat outside when its inevitable.

Sadly this is the case in every part of india. Here in trivandrum too there is hardly any restaurant which serve good and hygenic food. Hair, insect, glass, feather, piece of plastic rope, stones have become part of daily diet of people eating outside. I dont know what the health inspector is doing.

I work in technopark, here insects have been found in each and every restaurant, but still they are working as if nothing has happened. Everyone know about the crap they are serving, but still some people have no other option, but to eat from there. We even boycotted an eatery for a day, but there are others who depend on them for the food, who could not boycott them.

Making a ruckus or taking a photo and publishing it is newspaper has not solved this case. These scenario will change only if the govt takes the initiate and take stringent action against the defaulters, but in a place where you find roadside vendors in every nook and corner, it will be pretty difficult.

The only remedy is to eat home cooked food.

Quote:

download2live : Recently did the trip to Shivasamundaram. There is Kamat eatery just next to MacDonald's.
What's the exact location ?

Have been inside kitchens of star hotels, and must say it is bad. And what I have heard about hotels & the food - the raw materials will be pushed to the limits so that they dont lose money like it happens when they have to throw away food.

I have once had a serving of cockroach as part of my pasta at the famous Sunny's in Bangalore. The owner just shrugged of 'must have been because of the white washing at the kitchen'. Have never visited the place again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 2005508)
What's the exact location ?

Mysore Road. You can't miss it. MacDonald signboards will start appearing well before. Just next to MacDonalds there is a petrol bunk and that Kamat eatery.

And they charge Rs 100 for those special meals. :Frustrati

I have experienced a cockroach in a very upscale restuarant " Haiking" in Hyderabad which happens to be Telugu Filmstar Nagarjuna's favorite restuarant. And, not once, twice.

If i was you, would have taken the restuarant owner to task. Have done it a few times in Hyderabad.

P.S: Sorry, couldnt help commenting. Living in Hyderabad, just a look at that rice quality ( seems like Rs.2 kilo rice) i would not have eaten that biryani. Biryani rice has to be super fine grain and long grained.

I reckon we hydeez are a spoilt lot:)