Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 21:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google's Call Phone application

Just got this new thing in my Gmail chat box. Apparently, its an app that lets you call phones from Gmail. It says that you can call any phone in the US or Canada for free while phones in other countries can be called at low rates.

I tried calling my own mobile phone and it rang too. Thing is, if I had picked it up, how would it charge me since I'm a merely an anonymous Gmail user. Or is it going to charge me in my mobile phone bill for receiving the call?
Old 26th August 2010, 22:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

it's free, isn't it?
Old 26th August 2010, 23:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Google actually credits $0.10 as soon as you create your account. May be that's the reason.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

From web: Google voice calls within the United States are free, while international rates start at two cents per minute. Google has stated that domestic voice calls will remain free through 2010, but beyond that things may change as Google figures out how to monetize service if it catches on.

Google
Old 26th August 2010, 23:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes I have been using the Google Voice service since I came here & its pretty neat. The free calling feature is currently available only in USA
Old 27th August 2010, 14:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I tried calling my own mobile phone and it rang too. Thing is, if I had picked it up, how would it charge me since I'm a merely an anonymous Gmail user. Or is it going to charge me in my mobile phone bill for receiving the call?
are you in U.S ? doubtful whether ur Indian phone could be called from the application !!
Old 27th August 2010, 14:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
are you in U.S ? doubtful whether ur Indian phone could be called from the application !!
I think you can. I tried my brother's Indian Cell number and it rang. Also, works in UK.

But, the feature just appeared on Wednesday on my Gmail and vanished when I saw it on Thursday. Anybody noticed this? Or is it just a teaser and they are trying out few things?

Last edited by theMAG : 27th August 2010 at 14:45. Reason: Typo correction
Old 27th August 2010, 14:37   #8
BHPian

When I VPN to a US server and then open my gmail, I get the call phone button, otherwise not.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you are in India and call someone in India you will get charged around 6 cents a minute. I called my friend and could only speak for a minute+. They give you 10 cents free credit.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:33   #10
BHPian

Isn't this VOIP (voice over internet protocol)? IIRC it is banned in India (at least between two domestic parties.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

I thought so too. skype etc block telephony if they detect an indian IP. one of those archaic laws to protect department of telecom.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Isn't this VOIP (voice over internet protocol)? IIRC it is banned in India (at least between two domestic parties.

All VOIP traffic terminating on Indian telephone lines is banned. You can still have VOIP traffic over gtalk(sure)/yahoo(sure)/skype (AFAIK)

Google calls also has a facility of giving you a single number for all your phones (?) so you can direct all the calls you may get over different phones to the Google number and set it to receive those calls on the device of your choice (correct me if I am wrong)! It is an awesome feature but is now on limited availability!
Old 27th August 2010, 23:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so next time the google ads will be on what we had just finished discussing over phone. Am sure, just like email, people will get used to this.
Old 28th August 2010, 08:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
No, I'm in Singapore. Like someone said, Google gives everyone $0.10 in credit. That's why I was able to do it. Once that gets exhausted, you need to recharge using a credit card

As for India, I'm not sure why the law doesn't allow Skype, Google etc. to connect to the phones. Is it just landlines in India or both mobiles and landlines?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 28th August 2010 at 08:44.
Old 28th August 2010, 11:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just tried it out now with a call from Sweden to India, as well as a local call in Sweden.

Worked quite well and clarity was good. The number that shows up at the receivers end appears to be a US one.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks