Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:37   #1
BHPian

Confused Engineer (almost) looking for advice

Mods, Could not find a better forum with people from all types of all fields to post my query.

Now I come from a family where everyone is a doctor and I mean everybody. Not being a biology fan, I was probably the first one to go into the non medical section.
I had no idea on what I wanted in life. I did not really care about being an engineer, a lawyer or a CA or anything else in the world as long as the $ kept pouring in.
Basically I am a smart kid (not geeky but smart). Sat for my entrances, filled in the Delhi University form for a million courses. As luck would have it, I somehow managed to get a rank of 1400 in the IP University (GGSIPU) Engineering entrance. Within a few days of talking to friends, I decided to major in Electronics and Communication in the next best college in Delhi after DCE.
This was way back in 2007. Now I am in my final year and placements are about to begin (have started in most other colleges). I plan to do my MBA from a good B school (read Ivy League or similar) in the States after at least 4 years of work experience.
Now the problem is that all the companies that visit my college are IT firms.
I have zero interest in coding or testing (interned in this field).
I would prefer to work in some non-technical area (managerial/finance) and not for a mass recruiter who takes like 50000 freshers a year but for some company where I can be of some use and importance. Any nice consultancy would be on the top of my list. Any electronics and communication core company would also do.
But then arises another question, what matters more in your profile while applying for a MBA. A better brand name(as in the major players) or a small company where you have more responsibilities. Also does working in the US help in any manner for the MBA? So I am all confused and could use some advice if anything I wrote above made any sense.
I dont mind working anywhere in the world as long as its worth it (not money wise, just some place I can use my own brains).
I cant figure out where to start my search from and with all my friends getting placed in companies I actually fear from getting into, I see a similar future heading my way with its mouth wide open. And that is why I have so many questions in my head that I write all this at 1:30 in the morning.
Any word of advice
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:01   #2
BANNED

akshaymahajan, don't worry. You will get the job you are looking for but make take some time. But I still have to say that working in an IT firm is not all that bad as you mention. Fresh engineers don't have many soft skills and industry dynamics required for workplace and believe me any fresh engineer learns a lot in the first two year of his career apart from their actual technical work since he is more like empty bucket ready to fill

Please consider interviewing any good company that comes to campus, even IT. You don't know actually how it is going to be and it matter that you know some coding stuff wherever you go. So you get to learn many skill in any company you work for and an IT firm is a great place to start too. And also you may need some good $$ to save for that IVY MBA you are planning so makes all the more sense to join a top IT firm.

All the best in your career and just FYI IT firms also do serious technical work.

Last edited by zaks : 23rd September 2010 at 10:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks