Team-BHP - Nationwide UID - will it work?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Nationwide UID - will it work? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/89698-nationwide-uid-will-work-36.html)

Why is mistrust in govt so prevalent on this board?

What will we see next? A demand for more right to keep guns a la Republican loonies?

IMO, the benefits that Aadhaar offers outweighs the risk by 10 to 1.

And the tech guys worried about security believe Nilekani (one of the country's finest technocrats) wouldn't have known his stuff?

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 3489594)

Are you speaking from experience here?

Those are for visitors, not for citizens.

Personal experience.
Early nineties there was a robbery in my house. The police took all our fingerprints to compare against the prints found at crime scene.
How else would they know which prints belong to an outsider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 3489716)
The police took all our fingerprints to compare against the prints found at crime scene.

They don't store these fingerprints. They only use it for elimination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3489729)
They don't store these fingerprints. They only use it for elimination.

So you trust the Police, but not the govt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 3489731)
So you trust the Police, but not the govt?

Nope, I don't trust either, but it's not mandatory for everyone to give their fingerprints to the police. Another thing is that in Aadhar, Govt officially stores it - so there isn't any doubt whether whether they will store it or not, unlike with your example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3489612)
I am not worried about others (people, countries etc) getting my info. They have very little power over me and hence can't do much. OTOH, my Govt has a lot of power over me.

Actually, that is also a concern. At least one foreign agency is known to usurp personal details of unsuspecting citizens of arbitrary countries, create travel documents in their name, infiltrate their enemy nations and then carry out covert operations (assassinations etc.). Scientists working on military projects, participants in a genocide targeting their majority religion and terrorists that targeted their people and installations are all fair game for them.

(That's part serious, part tongue-in-cheek)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nazimk24 (Post 3489650)
Why is mistrust in govt so prevalent on this board?
What will we see next? A demand for more right to keep guns a la Republican loonies?
IMO, the benefits that Aadhaar offers outweighs the risk by 10 to 1.
And the tech guys worried about security believe Nilekani (one of the country's finest technocrats) wouldn't have known his stuff?

Keeping guns - people already do this in parts of the country. That is an unavoidable consequence of the breakdown of the law and order machinery.

Mistrust of the government - has any government in history of the world ever lived up to the trust that was placed in it? Baron Acton said, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" - spot on. People in positions of power end up getting corrupted - maybe not the present incumbent, but his successor or someone down the line. This is the reason countries (constitutions) tend to split power among multiple agencies, and have a system of checks and balances.

Benefits of Aadhar outweighs risk by 10 to 1 - your opinion. No substantiation. I say the risks of Aadhar outweighs the benefits by 10 to 1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 3489716)
Personal experience.
Early nineties there was a robbery in my house. The police took all our fingerprints to compare against the prints found at crime scene.

OK. I'm surprised that happened. What did they do with it - was the investigating officer competent enough to take the fingerprints and perform a comparison?

2. Why is the risk of the fingerprints getting out minimal? Who are the DBAs and vendor TAC members who have access to the database? Which countries do they live in, and what sort of security clearances have they gone through? Who has audited their access to the database? What kind of access control system is used? Are concepts/technologies like 2-factor authentication, role-based authorization, single sign-on, event correlation etc. in use? Who administers these enabling systems and what sort of clearances do these staff (and vendors) have? Which are the audit firms that audited these, and where are their reports? Multiply this by the number of vendors for UIDAI (even excluding the CIA-tainted ones). What data security standard does the UIDAI hold itself to, considering that India does not have one? Why is the UIDAI silent on these questions?

(and that is only the first set of technical questions, to go with the separate list of legal questions)

Quote:

Originally Posted by binand (Post 3489847)
(and that is only the first set of technical questions, to go with the separate list of legal questions)

If you really want to know, RTI can be availed.

http://uidai.gov.in/rti.html

In my opinion, efficiency +security gains in things like property registration / passport/ pdc outweigh privacy risks. Biometric will ensure that in vast majority of cases, one person can fake only one identity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 3490135)
In my opinion, efficiency +security gains in things like property registration / passport/ pdc outweigh privacy risks. Biometric will ensure that in vast majority of cases, one person can fake only one identity.

+1. There will be always naysayers for any effort. The government has done right, by continuing with the UIDAI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nazimk24 (Post 3489650)

Yeah right! The PCs used for collecting Aadhar data in our building had pirated windows :Frustrati and you are talking about security.

I had even posted on UIDAI facebook page regarding the same but didn't get any response.

Mod Note: This discussion is closed. 36 pages of a heated discussion have pretty much covered all that needed to be said.

Recently many of us might have applied for a PAN correction with NSDL to link PAN with Aadhar in case of any errors in PAN.
See the magic now and observe how your privacy is at toss!
=================
First go here and read posts by PAN applicants,

http://www.chittorgarh.com/faq/how_l...t_pan_card/27/

Then select any post(s),get reference number and then go here,

https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pantan/StatusTrack.html

If you see tracking number/courier slip no you may further track more details! Your privacy is at toss...When few years back I went for my Aadhar I saw bunch of papers with user details spread everywhere. I wish Indians should know the price of their privacy when so called Digital India is in progress.
===============
Images are blurred for the sack of our countryman whose data show his full name,pan details with number and his location. I wish NSDL start using OTP to protect privacy of those who applied for a fresh/change in PAN.