Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 11:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Query for VISA: No surname in previous name

A friend of my was known by his first name only - in all the official documents - license, passport, PAN card , educational certificates till a year back, when he changed is name to include full name "surname+lastname" and got it changed in Passport, PAN card only and got it published in the Government Gazzette.

Now in the VISA application, he is being asked to enter any previously known name. Should he enter anything there? If he enters the previously known name (which is First name only), the previous surname field is left blank, and it displays error. Or should he write FNU in old surname and and first name in old first name.
Old 5th October 2010, 13:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which country is he applying the visa for?
Old 5th October 2010, 14:47   #3
BHPian

Well he should mention all the other names that he is /has been known by. One should never withold any information on a visa application. If there is no family name / surname he can write "none" or "n/a".

Most visa application forms have a section where they ask if you have any additional information to disclose. He can explain the lack of family name in that section.

If he's still concerned, he can also submit a cover letter explaining the issue and can also submit his old passport copy as corroborative evidence. If you can disclose which country he's applying for and the visa category, perhaps I can guide him more precisely.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps obtaining a police clearance certificate would make it easy to convince the visa authorities that the name change was not done for hiding any past criminal history or anything.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Perhaps obtaining a police clearance certificate would make it easy to convince the visa authorities that the name change was not done for hiding any past criminal history or anything.
It's not a major issue. Only submit what is relevant to the visa category being applied for. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 5th October 2010 at 15:14.
Old 12th February 2011, 15:48   #6
BHPian

Re: Query for VISA: No surname in previous name

My Passport has a Typo error in it.

Place of Birth is Mumabi instead of Mumbai. A week ago I submitted to the passport Office for correction, but haven't heard back.

I need it urgently for US visa stamping. What are my options.

Will that typo cause any problem ? Should I mention it to the visa office or pray that it goes unnoticed. I will be submitting my birth cert with the correct info.

Time is of the essence here.
Old 12th February 2011, 16:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
My Passport has a Typo error in it.

Place of Birth is Mumabi instead of Mumbai. A week ago I submitted to the passport Office for correction, but haven't heard back.

I need it urgently for US visa stamping. What are my options.

Will that typo cause any problem ? Should I mention it to the visa office or pray that it goes unnoticed. I will be submitting my birth cert with the correct info.

Time is of the essence here.
If it's a matter of urgency then just apply with the passport as it is. If asked at the interview about the typo just show the application form (for getting the error corrected) and say that you attempted to get it corected but the passport office took too much time. Say that you will get it corrected as soon as you return frm the US. As additional evidence ask if they want to see your birth certificate, school leaving certificate etc which will confirm your place of birth as Mumbai.
Old 16th February 2011, 14:39   #8
BHPian

I still haven't heard back from the passport office. Its become an emergency now.

How do I get my passport back from the passport office ( corrected or not )

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:31   #9
BHPian

Best bet is to get an audience with the regional passport officer and explain. Go early and ask for an appointment

There is usually also Lok Adalats in the passport office once in a month i think. But it might not serve your purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks