Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 10:32   #1
BHPian

Planning a different kind of TV Show about Cars!

Hi all,

An initiative to detail Indian automobiles, mind blowing travelogues and much more to the viewers.

This program will not have anything to do with new / imported automobiles. It is all about our Indian automobiles like MMs, Marutis, Ambys, Tatas etc. I am planning to high light cars manufactured before 2000

Need you suggestions and inputs.

Thanks in advance
Vinod

Last edited by vinod_namakkal : 19th October 2010 at 10:41.
Old 19th October 2010, 22:43   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vinod, its all about the eyeballs generated (unless you own the channel). Good thing for you is, most of the existing auto shows are crap.

Try a theme that will appeal with the masses, as well as enthusiasts. How about episodes that include the following:

- Meet up with a Fiat classic car club. Every city has one, and every Indian has sat in a Padmini at some time or the other. Cover things like why these fans still hold on to Padminis, maintenance issues etc.

- A comparo of backseat comfort between the Ambassador & other "modern" 5 lakh cars. My money's on the Amby.

- Go with a couple of Jeeps in off-roading country

This kind of a pilot episode will make you famous . Good luck.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

I second GTO; You need to show more of life (style) with car rather than repeating the same old masala of comparing the tech spec, comfort, highway drive, FE etc.

Meeting the clubs & showcasing them on TV will also generate publicity for both you as well the club. Once in a month or so, you guys can organize a long ride to some place, record some of the hurdles you encounter with the drive due to roads, I mean, show the practical usage rather than the test itself, like parking issues, engineering defects or showcase people who did long drives etc.

May be you want to talk to showcase some happy & unhappy owners of the same brand/make to give a short say on what they feel about the car. But a strict NO for car suggestion or reading emails/letters.

OT - My evil part of brain says, you guys may want to use a candid camera to showcase both the good & ugly side of A.S.S as well as how the sales receive for a TD or when one approaches to buy a car
Old 20th October 2010, 10:09   #4
BHPian

Re:

GTO And Aargee,

Thanks for your inputs and that is exactly what I had planning.

Few highlights of the show:

1. This show will NOT have tech spec, FE, Mail reading etc.
2. Will be Meeting clubs and also forming clubs
3. In Garage Shooting of Modifications (Full shooting of Before and After which even includes where the spares were bought)
4. Spares parts cost and comparison between different dealers.
5. Our Team-BHP tours (to have a complete travelogue shooting covering each and every minute of the trip).

Would be great if suggestions could be added point by point. Please start with point 6.

My project is at a very initial stage as I am looking for financier. If there are any known financier of yours, refer.

Planniing 300 episodes and will be telecasted everyday. Have to choose the TV channel too.

Regards
Vinod
Old 20th October 2010, 10:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_namakkal View Post
Planniing 300 episodes and will be telecasted everyday. Have to choose the TV channel too.
Well, IMO, you may want to make a show for 1 to 2 hour(s) during weekends only. You may want to take a poll here or else where as how many people watch discovery turbo everyday & for how many hours. Though both the programs are not related, you'll get an idea as how many people prefer watching automotive related shows everyday.

Also, most ladies & children are occupied with mega (mokka) serials everyday & you may not be able to get a right time slot during the weekdays.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:36   #6
BHPian

I feel that you should aim for the weekend time slots, perhaps a time before or after some of the other auto shows (which perhaps already get regular viewership).

One hour every week to start with looks realistic. Keeping in mind we need to have a good solid one hour of television which is enjoyable. I feel that later on, perhaps it can be expanded.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dear vinod_namakkal, there is a formula to every thing in life and the ones that work best are the ones that generate money for the channel [ads and sponsors] and interest [trp]. To maintain continuity and avoid immediate axing.

The regular crappy ones you see are crappy to TBHP standards but for a layman who wants to get a new car or bike, he is glued to the format. We Indians like our news dont we. For example people love to see MAD about cars on Zee. I was told by few dudes and it was crappy at best. Remember this is over and above the Wheelocity thing run by them.

If you make the format longer than 1 hour and not have various sections, it will be tough to keep the viewer ship. We humans have a short span focus, we like to be distracted, not 100% productive but still works in a mysterious way to keep us entertained. 3 hours of movie too is broken down with an irritating interval

The episode should not exceed 1 hour and should be aired twice a week at maximum, gives time for people to digest all the info.

IMHO Top gear should be your benchmark. Do not copy it for sure but the way JC and gang keeps everyone entertained its the essence of the show. Cars there are many jems but again you need sponsors and they sponsor only to be plugged in, even your auto component and spares/accessories man will ask for the pitch.

Modifications of cars is not legal in India, I think you need to check for legal obligations if you air those thoughts. People being featured in the episodes should know this and you might have to use captions for caution.

At the end, these are just my POV and dont let it mess with your grand idea. All the best!

Most Viewed