Taslaa - Rs. 75.00
Total - Rs. 405

Materials Required
1. Tasla
2. Half GI Sheet
3. One tin can for base of taslaa

Procedure

1. Drill some holes in the base of the taslaa for air ventilation
2. Drill some holes in the tin can (for base, onto which the taslaa will be kept)
3. Take the GI sheet and cut it into the desired length, I took double for better strength and stability, make it into a ring and drill holes for the screws to keep it in place

PRECAUTION - GI sheet is extremely dangerous, wear protective gloves, I bought some from the hardware store that were crap, so used my Alpinestars leather gloves
Attached Thumbnails
D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-part-1.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-part-2.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-part-3.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-part-4.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-part-5.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-assembled-1.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-assembled-2.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-assembled-3.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-assembled-4.jpg  

rajatsingh78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 13:27   #2
BHPian

Very ingenious Rajat. Thanks for sharing.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:02   #3
BHPian

Thanks buddy, its encouraging to see atleast one response after 150+ views I really appreciate it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Very ingenious Rajat. Thanks for sharing.
Following are two pics of, in progress and then of the grilled chicken
Attached Thumbnails
D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-bbq.jpg  

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-cooked.jpg  

rajatsingh78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 15:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Now its better with the pics of grilled chicken than earlier post.
Old 1st November 2010, 17:10   #5
BHPian

Hey nice outcome. By the way, instead of "handle with care" anything more can be done on the top portion of the Iron Sheet? I mean it looks very sharp and need to be careful while using it.
Old 1st November 2010, 20:35   #6
BHPian

Hi pradipk - The top portion, where the skewers/grill are kept is the fold area, check the attacked image, the sharp section will be towards the base, that too was made edge free by running a file to make it as edge-free as possible, but you have to be careful since GI sheet is kind of fragile, too much banging, filing and it will crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hey nice outcome. By the way, instead of "handle with care" anything more can be done on the top portion of the Iron Sheet? I mean it looks very sharp and need to be careful while using it.
Attached Images

Old 1st November 2010, 20:51   #7
BHPian

Exactly what I needed - an inspiration to get started . I was thinking of building one using the construction 'ghamelas' to hold the coal embers. Thoughts on that?

Ones sold in BigBazaar or exhibitions are not cost effective (1500+)
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:44   #8
BHPian

I too used the 'ghamela' but it has less depth, I searched a lot for a deeper one but they were of plastic, moreover one that I found was of considerable thin metal. Definitely a thicker metal and deeper one would be better.

1500\- is ok kind of amount for a frequent griller, but for people like me, who would grill once a month, doesnt make sense, plus I am sure this 1500\- worth grill won't be too good on quality, never seen one so cannot comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Exactly what I needed - an inspiration to get started . I was thinking of building one using the construction 'ghamelas' to hold the coal embers. Thoughts on that?

Ones sold in BigBazaar or exhibitions are not cost effective (1500+)
Issue - Once the coal start smoldering, they will start generating ash , to one should be able to stirr the ambers and the ash should fall down, in my design the holes at the base of the 'taslaa/ghamela' were too small and the ash created problems. Specially when the ash collected was too much after 2 hours of grilling, in the end of the session it was so much that it won't allow any smoldering and we had to stop grilling

Suggested design change - make bigger holes at the base or remove some portion of the base and put a thick wire mess from inside, so the ash would fall in the base can with slight stirring with a skewer
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:40   #9
BHPian

@Rajat

I'm assuming that what you call Tasla is the same as a Tavaa pan. Am I correct or is it something else?
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:14   #10
BHPian

Nopes, a 'taslaa' is a kind of utensil that the bricklaying professionals use to create cement+sand mixture, its also called 'ghamela',
One can use any other utensil as well but then it will be costly and will defeat the purpose of this D.I.Y kit

Quote:
@Rajat

I'm assuming that what you call Tasla is the same as a Tavaa pan. Am I correct or is it something else?
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
@Rajat

Tasla is basically more hollow than a Tavaa pan, you can see a tasla which is used on construction sites in India, its used to keep the cement mix.

Ah, found one in my home, pics attached.
this one is dirty as it was used with cement earlier, one can buy a new
one for under Rs.80 at hardware store.
D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-tasla1.jpg

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-tasla2.jpg

D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-tasla3.jpg

@Rajat, I found what i was looking for, will try to make BBQ sometime soon.
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:25   #12

wow! Just what i was looking for!

Would be great if you could give some tips on how to grill the chicken(duration, recipe etc), like in the pic. looks delicious
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:41   #13
BHPian

yeah this is more apt than mine because of its depth, I was not source this one anywhere in the part of the city (Miyapur, Gachibowli, Lingampally) where I am (Hyderabad), so bought whatever I got,

I have edited your last pic on what you can do to tackle the ash problem that I faced,

Get a strong wire mess, better if its of stainless steel, you may also get one made out of thin iron rods, but stainless steel will be best, it will cost you hardly 70-100 Rs. But do not weld, just cut a square and make some kind of hooking mechanism so that you may replace it in case it gets damaged,

Alternatively you may also drill some holes in the base too, big enough to let the ash fall down in the collection bin and small enough to let the coals stay in the taslaa
Attached Thumbnails
D.I.Y BBQ Grill for under Rs.500-tasla31.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2010, 17:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post
wow! Just what i was looking for!

Would be great if you could give some tips on how to grill the chicken(duration, recipe etc), like in the pic. looks delicious
Ingredients - Chicken [1 kg], 1 tbsp garlic paste, 1 tbsp ginger paste, hung curd [250 gm], 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tbsp MDH Tandoori Masala (reduce it to 1 tbsp if you want less spicy), 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp oil

Marinade - Mix above items except the chicken in a thick paste

Procedure - Clean and chop pieces of chicken, make some boneless pieces if you like them that ways, for thigh and leg pieces make several slits on them, put them in the marinade and let it sit for atleast 2 hours, if you are grilling in the evening (7-8 pm), complete this by 1-2 pm

Get the coals burning, the optimum temperature for grilling is when you cannot hold your palm on top of the flame/ambers for over 5 seconds, if its more, reduce the ambers/move the grill up, and vice versa if its less.

Put the pieces in skewers and grill for 2 mins, then apply oil and further grill for 8-10 minutes, pierce with a very sharp knife, if its easy, its done, if not there will be some resistance.

Generally boneless pieces are done in 10 minutes, for leg and thigh pieces add another 5 minutes (the slits will become wide open once they are done

Enjoy with green chutney and onion rings

Just noticed from 150 views yesterday to 400+, thanks to all for viewing this

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 2nd November 2010 at 17:03.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice and mouthwatering DIY rajat. Hope you enjoy the grilled meals to the full. I really liked the idea of yours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks