Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2005, 17:44   #1
BHPian

Buying a second hand alto

hey guys,after booking the optra my dad realises that its F.E. is very bad(its a good thing he realised it after we booked it!)so now he told me to start looking for a second hand alto,we want a second hand cause i am turning 18 in july so i can learn in it and my sis can practice her driving....
Well this is the first time we are buying a second hand car and have no idea what so ever on how much to pay,out budget is around 2.25L,we do not want a car older then 2003 and done more then 30,000 km,so the vxi is out!
i read an advertisement in times drive last week for an alto lxi. 2004 done 12,000 kms,he is quoting 2.55L negotiable(it has nothing no music system etc etc) how much do you think we can bring it down¿ considering the Alto lxi costs 3.25L on road(thanks technocrat) should we go and check out the maruti true value dealers¿

thanks alot.
Old 12th December 2005, 18:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi vandan

Check out Automart & true value they have good cars, also used alto shud bea good deal FE wise

As for the On Road price its, 3.33 in pune for metallic, in mumbai the prices wud be slightly higher so keep that in mind :-)
Old 12th December 2005, 18:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan
hey guys,after booking the optra my dad realises that its F.E. is very bad(its a good thing he realised it after we booked it!)so now he told me to start looking for a second hand alto,we want a second hand cause i am turning 18 in july so i can learn in it and my sis can practice her driving....
Hey Vandan. A ballpark figure can be arrived at but it is not necessary it will always hold true in all the circumstances. Prices vary from city to city, on the mileage, condition, accessories fitted (though not much). A better way to arrive at a figure would be to visit maruti's own True Value site. There they let you estimate the price of your car if you want to sell it to them. Use the questionnaire to arrive at a price. It should be close to that.

If you want to go to True Value do go. But remember unlike what you will expect they always tell you a jacked up price. You can however negotiate. I checked out a 3-year old zen vxi once for which they were asking some 2.95L odd. Later they were willing to sell it to me even for 2.75L and that too without really hard bargain.
Old 13th December 2005, 17:54   #4
BHPian

thanks for your replies za[ppo and techno,we have dropped the idea of buying a second hand,will buy someother hatch in 6-7 months...
P.S.- mods please close this thread
Old 4th March 2009, 04:10   #5
BHPian

used alto deal

hi everybody !
Am posting after a klong time here!
please guide me in this deal -

I have got an offer for an used alto - 2.00 lakhs (negotiable to 1.90 lakhs ,i think)

individual owner.But the thing is he's second owner !
model - 2007 lxi,
done only 8000 [8 thousand] kms ,
excellent service records (3 services done)
Kenwood HU + 2 speakers
Good condition
Minor 2 or 3 dents

a little briefing :-
I guess the odometer is not tampered as not much wear and tear in the pedals,seats,tires.and the service records are clear.

Reason for low running under two owners :-
The first owner went abroad ,selling it to the current owner and the present owner has an official car and is posted out of city,so he's selling.I came to know the current owner through a person whom i know personally.

This is my first car and i intend to keep it for 3 years maximum and then upgrade.I have gone through the threads relating to alto and other owners' experience, and i think alto would do good for a first car,that would be cheap to maintain/run and learn .

I need the t-bhpians advice on this..advance thanks !
Old 4th March 2009, 09:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums View Post
used alto - 2.00 lakhs
model - 2007 lxi,
done only 8000 [8 thousand] kms ,
excellent service records (3 services done)
i intend to keep it for 3 years maximum
With these things in mind, this deal is quite good.

After three years, you can still sell this car for 1 lakh. And you will not spend more then 2 - 3k per year on service /repairs and fixes for minor scratches / dents.

So running cost would be insurance (~5k), petrol and 3k per year for upkeep.

So, total running cost (Every Year) would be:

1. Insurance : 5k
2. Service : 3k
3. Petrol : 20k (700 km every month)

And you would spend 1 lakh on buying the car (purchase for 2 lakh, sell for 1).
Old 4th March 2009, 14:34   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the advice and statistics netfreak !

One question is, if i buy the car, i'll become the third owner ,and as i intend to sell it after 3 years,will it find any takers? because,the buyer would be a fourth owner ! this is the point which makes me think .But i too feel the deal is pretty good. I think i wont cross 40,000 kms when i sell . I am sure that the car will have still more life to it when i sell.but the thing is it would have had multiple owners by that time! hmmm.. i think i'm deliberating too much! :-)
Old 4th March 2009, 20:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Number of owners does matter.

However, if car is maintained well, there should not be any problem in getting 1 lakh for 5 year old Alto (Already 2 Yrs old and you would keep it for another 5).

For comparison, Maruti True Value is selling 4 year old Alto in chennai for 2.25 Lakh. Their prices are high and includes 1 Year warranty, realistic value should be ~1.8 lakh.

If 4 year old Alto is going for this much amount, you should get at least 1 lakh when you sell it.

Buying a second hand alto-car_price_alto.jpg
Old 5th March 2009, 00:25   #9
BHPian

well, as you said ,i'll keep my car serviced at regular intervals.Both for the vehicle's good and for resale value.

Today i went to three used car dealers and i found this deal to be more reasonable.I'l update the happenings on this deal as when it happens.
Thanks once again ,netfreak!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks