Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2010, 14:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help! Need info on Gurgaon.... (Goodbye, Pune! Hello, Gurgaon!)

Life was cruising along, save for an occasional speed-breaker / pothole, at Pune. Never realised that six years have passed by.

Bam! An uncertain / unexpected event took place, and what do I see? Marching orders - to haul my a** towards North.

Gurgaon to be precise.

Pune, I already miss you! More so, all the t-bhpians I came across (some by name and sight and others only through posts). And, out goes through the window, all those planned and un-planned trips around Pune :-(

I need the following input, guys -

a. Will be required to stay for a short while at some bachelor / sharing accommodation. What's the situation at Gurgaon like?

b. My work place will be somewhere around 'Sushant Lok'. Which will be a decent place to stay? ( shouldn't be too expensive ).

c. How is the public transport and the traffic condition in Gurgaon like?

d. Winter is looming ahead, and what preparation / precautions do I have to make?

Any tips and ideas will be of great help. Chip in with any other points you feel like. Thanks in advance.

PS - No, I am not in IT. And, am in late 40s.

Last edited by vrprabhu : 6th November 2010 at 15:00. Reason: Modified Title
Old 6th November 2010, 15:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
I need the following input, guys -

a. Will be required to stay for a short while at some bachelor / sharing accommodation. What's the situation at Gurgaon like?

b. My work place will be somewhere around 'Sushant Lok'. Which will be a decent place to stay? ( shouldn't be too expensive ).

c. How is the public transport and the traffic condition in Gurgaon like?

d. Winter is looming ahead, and what preparation / precautions do I have to make?
Welcome to Gurgaon, vrprabhu. My replies below-

a. PG accommodations and guesthouses easily available for all budgets.

b.Sushant Lok is mainly a residential area, so you can easily find a good PG/Guest house in the locality.

c.Public transport is not good. You will have to rely on Rickshaws and Shared Autorickshaws for local transportation. For commuting to Delhi Metro is the best option if using public transport.

d.Winters are colder compared to down south, December, January and February are coldest. Get you best woolens when you come here.
Old 6th November 2010, 15:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

+1 to everything anshuman said. The traffic here is definitely more aggro but slightly less chaotic than some areas of Pune.

Public transport doesn't exist for practical purposes. Have a vehicle at your disposal, even if its a cycle!!

btw too expensive = ??? in INR?
Old 6th November 2010, 16:32   #4
BHPian

Welcome to the crazy place we call "Home".

I guess most of the things have been rightly mentioned above.
Winters just setting in. Can get quite chilly in the mornings and evenings now, afternoons manageable without woolens but dont expect it to stay like this for long.
Traffic is getting worse day by day; the less said the better.
You would get lots of options to stay in and around Sushant Lok.
And Yes, Public Transport is the pedal powered Cycle Rikshaws or "squeeze 15 into 1 shared Autos" within the city. Own conveyance is recommended. However to travel to delhi, you have the Metro, and once in Delhi, travel is a lot simpler.
One thing you would surely miss here are the number of team-bhpians to spot and get spotted by compared to pune.
Any help required, do not hesitate to ask.
Wish you luck.
Old 8th November 2010, 11:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks - .anshuman, phamilyman, Sinner666!

Your words are encouraging and my anxiety is coming down. Nice to see the quick response and the inviting spirit.

Yes, I will pack whatever woolen clothes - whatever I have. But, my guess is that it will be cheaper to buy them there.

As far as transport goes, I guess I will opt for a bike (used, if possible) - later on think of shifting my car. (Am planning to drive down from Pune! ). But the idea of a bi-cycle is appealing - may be it will be help me get the much needed exercise and trim my tummy!!

As regards the expense, I am boxed in right now. Because, the situation is like this - Daughter, Wife and Parents are staying at three different places. And, the flat in Pune is my own - which I can't let out till I finalise how to shift the family. ( The EMI is looking pretty large now :-( ).

So, I am practically managing three different households! If I can find accommodation + food + transport (for a single person) at about Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 12,000 per month, I would be on an even keel.

Just a couple of more questions -

a. How far is the distance to airport (distance / time)? I am looking for flights towards South - Chennai, Calicut, Coimbatore etc.

b. How do I reach Sushant Lok from Delhi airport? And, some hotels to stay nearby - for about a week or so, as I go about getting a feel of the place.

Thanks again!
Old 8th November 2010, 11:30   #6
BHPian

Sir..we will miss you at the TBHP meet in pune.
As your flat is in pune...hope you must return in 1-2 yr.

And Pune --> Delhi drive is a good idea sir.

Best of Luck...
Old 8th November 2010, 12:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the idea of a bi-cycle is appealing - may be it will be help me get the much needed exercise and trim my tummy!!
a. How far is the distance to airport (distance / time)?
b. How do I reach Sushant Lok from Delhi airport? And, some hotels to stay nearby - for about a week or so, as I go about getting a feel of the place.
@vrprabhu: Welcome to our neck of the woods!

A lot of folks I know do use bicycles to travel to work, as well as have weekend/Sunday rides. Firefox runs a fairly extensive cycling group in Gurgaon, and there are a number of other such groups too.

Delhi airport to Sushant Lok, on a good day, is not more than half-an-hour's drive - about 16-17 km. On a bad day, if the expressway is jammed, one can spend an hour or more for the same distance.

The best way to reach Gurgaon would be to take a radio cab from the airport. There are counters for radio cabs at the arrivals gate, and it costs Rs.20 per km, plus another Rs.100 or so as incidental charges (a total of about Rs.400-450).

There are plenty of small hotels in Gurgaon, suiting any kind of budget. Check Gurgaon Hotels: Read Gurgaon Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to NCR!

Gurgaon's traffic (non-rush hours) is fast and zippy, and much better organized than Pune. On work days, the whole place jams up. A Delhi-Gurgaon 30km drive takes around 2 hours during peak traffic hours. But you won't be worried by that!

Gurgaon itself is pretty close to the airport. I would recommend Delhi Police's pre-paid cab service. They have a counter right at the arrival exit. It will be much cheaper as compared to a radio cab (but no aircon).

Winters can get very chilly sometimes. Do make sure you get a couple of warm jackets along.

Bikes can make good time inside Gurgaon, so they are definitely a better option. As already pointed out by folks, you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to stay near Sushant Lok.

Best not depend on the public transport scene. The metro is, more or less, an airconditioned Mumbai local.

Hope you have a good stay, and do let us know if you need any help.

Cheers
Old 9th November 2010, 10:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Sir..we will miss you at the TBHP meet in pune.
As your flat is in pune...hope you must return in 1-2 yr.

And Pune --> Delhi drive is a good idea sir.

Best of Luck...
Kalinga, thanks. It was nice getting acquainted with people like you.

As far as my flat goes, I am yet to decide whether to let it out or sell it off. Returning back to Pune in the near future is not certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@vrprabhu: Welcome to our neck of the woods!

Delhi airport to Sushant Lok, on a good day, is not more than half-an-hour's drive - about 16-17 km. On a bad day, if the expressway is jammed, one can spend an hour or more for the same distance.

The best way to reach Gurgaon would be to take a radio cab from the airport.
Thanks, SS-Traveller. The info was very much helpful.

I am already in the mood to sell my motorbike here and buy one there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Welcome to NCR!

Gurgaon's traffic (non-rush hours) is fast and zippy, and much better organized than Pune. On work days, the whole place jams up. A Delhi-Gurgaon 30km drive takes around 2 hours during peak traffic hours. But you won't be worried by that!

Best not depend on the public transport scene. The metro is, more or less, an airconditioned Mumbai local.

Hope you have a good stay, and do let us know if you need any help.
EssYouWe, thanks! I'll take up your offer when I land up there.

The thing is, my company has some leased / owned accommodation somewhere in VasantKunj area. Which was the reason why I wanted to find out about the public transport.

But, the responses which I have received indicate that it would be better to stay at Gurgaon and visit Delhi occasionally.

I have decided to enjoy my stay - and make some new friends. Think I have already made a head start, thanks to you guys!!
Old 9th November 2010, 11:40   #10
BHPian

@ vrprabhu -

Vasant Kunj is really a nice place to stay but its quite a distance from Sushant Lok. Sushant Lok is a concrete jungle with lots of apartment complexes and not too much greenery.

In case you want something quiet with not too much traffic and hustle bustle, try getting a place in Palam Vihar which is not too far away from Sushant Lok. Believe me, you'll love Palam Vihar.

I can put you on to a friend of mine who stays in Palam Vihar. I am sure he'll help you find a place there. I'll PM you his number.

Lastly, forget about public transport in Gurgaon. Get your own transport.

Cheers

KD
Old 9th November 2010, 12:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am already in the mood to sell my motorbike here and buy one there....
Get the bike that you already have, NCR police has no issues with out of state number plates. Having said that, in winters you will be much better off in your car with the heater working. Delhi roads post metro and CWG are great to drive on once again.

Quote:
The thing is, my company has some leased / owned accommodation somewhere in VasantKunj area. Which was the reason why I wanted to find out about the public transport.

But, the responses which I have received indicate that it would be better to stay at Gurgaon and visit Delhi occasionally.
Now with this input it makes a lot of sense to stay at VK. Drive to the metro station at Andheria mor(at the most 10 minutes from anywhere in VK), use the ample parking available there, take the Metro to Gurgaon town Center (another 12 to 15 minutes) and from there a rick or office car to Sushant lok (10 minutes or thereabouts).

Staying in VK you are only 10 to 15 odd minutes from the airport under any sort of traffic condition, especially once all flights domestic & international move to T3.

Being in Delhi, you will also be spared the nightmare of Gurgaon's perennial no Power or Water scenario. In summers one can still bear the heat somehow but no heater or geyser during winters is BRRRRrrrrrr......finish.

Very important, the Tbhp bunch at Vasant Kunj (SSTraveller, v&v amongst others) is infamous for its impromptu meets late evenings and weekends, god send for a forced bachelor. Plus you are in the capital and all said and done Dilli is Dilli.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:51   #12
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Just ran in to this thread, thanks to you posting in Stress buster that you are moving out. Already replied over there.

Now I have one more friend to meet up when I travel to dilli!
Old 9th November 2010, 13:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...my company has some leased / owned accommodation somewhere in VasantKunj area. Which was the reason why I wanted to find out about the public transport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Now with this input it makes a lot of sense to stay at VK. Drive to the metro station at Andheria mor(at the most 10 minutes from anywhere in VK), use the ample parking available there, take the Metro to Gurgaon town Center (another 12 to 15 minutes) and from there a rick or office car to Sushant lok (10 minutes or thereabouts).

Staying in VK you are only 10 to 15 odd minutes from the airport under any sort of traffic condition, especially once all flights domestic & international move to T3.

Very important, the Tbhp bunch at Vasant Kunj (SSTraveller, v&v amongst others) is infamous for its impromptu meets late evenings and weekends, god send for a forced bachelor.
LOL, khoj, you are too much!

@vrprabhu: Indeed, as khoj said, the Metro from Andheria More (that's at one end of Vasant Kunj, max. 4 km of travelling even if you live at the other end - if you know which sector your company accommodation is in, I could give you a more exact distance) is the best way to travel to Sushant Lok - 25-30 minutes, in air-conditioned comfort. Most parts of Sushant Lok would be at walking distance from the Metro - worst case, you can take a cycle-rickshaw.

And of course, access to the airport is a whole lot easier from Vasant Kunj than from Gurgaon, at any time of day or night.
Old 9th November 2010, 15:02   #14
BHPian

Manesar-Sultan Ghari-enroute..

>>>

khoj,

Please check out the following link for the route from Ginger Manesar, through Sultan Ghari to Chiragh Enclave, (enroute to Kailash Colony -BPCL pump opp Pragati Maidan Gate#1-Hapur bypass) :http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...,0.154324&z=13

Do you think the distance (60.1 kms, give or take a few) and the time (92 mins) is comfortable with a start at 7 am from Manesar?

I want to check out the Sultan Ghari, supposedly the first mausoleum built in India.

Regards, drive safe, enjoy Delhi

P.S. : Also if are so inclined, check out the unbeatable combo of lyrics by Raja Mehdi Ali Khan & music my Madan Mohan

Last edited by issigonis : 9th November 2010 at 15:06. Reason: Added the link
Old 9th November 2010, 15:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

DAMN, I was looking forward to repeat short trips with you for migratory birds this winter. I thought as June-July has passed with no news of transfer, you would be continuing your stay in pune. Let's meet if you are still in pune.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks