Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2010, 11:58   #1
BHPian

A different kind of thread - Target: 80 kgs by Sept 11 2011. Prize:Ducati Monster 796

So this is a different sort of thread, so I'm not sure if it strictly fits in with Team BHP but here's the challenge I'm setting for myself.

Current weight: 121 kgs
Current height: 5' 11''

Now, my target is to get myself fit and looking my age by September 2011 (my 26th birthday)

My prize, which I will buy myself, is a Ducati Monster 796.

So, the question is... how do I go about doing it. Over the course of the next one year, I intend to share my progress, and when the time comes, even before and after pix.

So here goes...

Sid
Old 19th November 2010, 12:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

The easiest and the least damaging way to lose weight is swimming. I strongly recommend that. Since you are 120+ special care has to be taken while doing workouts. Too much stress on joints can prove to be damaging. Hence swimming. Nothing burns fat all over the body as well as swimming.
I don't beleive in controlling the diet.
Rather than limiting your intake increase the rate at which you burn calories. Afterall there is something called quality of life.

Last edited by download2live : 19th November 2010 at 12:17.
Old 19th November 2010, 13:29   #3
BHPian

Like download2live said, swimming is a good exercise, but keep in mind it is a combination of exercise & controlled food intake that bring better (& longer lasting) results. Even swimming- dont straightaway go & start doing marathon laps, but slowly & gradually increase your laps or whatever. On food you have to cut on your intake of Carbohydrates (strict no to rice, potatoes etc) and continue with proteins. Forget the fried stuff/snacks etc. Having green tea (also called slimming tea) 2-3 times a day helps reduce hunger & hastens your metabolism. Do have a look in google for 'South Beach Diet' & 'GM diet'. These are fairly simple to adhere to and lots of people are getting good results.

So give it your best shot and all the best. Hey, dont forget we all want to see you on the 796 in September 2011
Old 19th November 2010, 13:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good luck on your goal Sid. Many people have successsfully done this and I am sure you can also do it keeping your prize in mind. It will take a whole lot of willpower and determination. My friend lost 50 kgs in VLCC and he still keeps his exercise routine and maintains his weight at around 95kg.
Old 19th November 2010, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I used to be a national level swimmer. Life caught up, and then the US happened. Time to get back on it. Lunch today was salad+soup+chicken. It was hard to skip on the office buffet especially the jalebis, but then when there's a 796 in the horizon, the buffet really looks pathetic.... now, to maintain the same focus... grr
Old 19th November 2010, 14:09   #6
BHPian

All the very best to you Dude!

A right incentive will keep you focussed on goal and greatly help in reaching it. Ducati Monster M796 (or whatever is ideal at that point of time) is a tantalizing incentive for sure!

Age is on your side! Scientifically plan your workouts / diet and success would be on your side!

I am also an oversized (wannabe) biker - And, btw, I think there is a lot of 'inception' happening - I wanted to make an impulse buy of M796, and Nadim took the title - Then I wanted to lose weight and take monster as the prize and you took the title. I'll safeguard my thoughts for sure from now on

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 19th November 2010 at 14:11.
Old 19th November 2010, 16:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Now, my target is to get myself fit and looking my age by September 2011 (my 26th birthday)

My prize, which I will buy myself, is a Ducati Monster 796.
I wish you all the very best. Hope your dream becomes a reality.
Just focus on Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
My friend lost 50 kgs in VLCC and he still keeps his exercise routine and maintains his weight at around 95kg.
That's hell lot of weight lost. What was the procedure he followed ?

@djpeesh,
The following thread might be of some interest to you
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ss-thread.html
Old 19th November 2010, 16:32   #8
Team-BHP Support

Given the task involved, perhaps you could consider a proper weight loss program at a reputed gym. For loss like this a scientific approach is essential to ensure that the weight loss is healthy. You will need to combine professionally managed nutrition / diet plan together with a customised exercise routine.

Above approach should be a good bet.

Cheers and all the best.

PS: the M 796 seems to be generating a lot of interest suddenly
Old 19th November 2010, 17:11   #9
BHPian

Dj, if you are looking for a relatively easy form of exercise, you can look at the Bullworker. Just Google it and you will know what I am talking about. The exercises are simple, take little time (each exercise has to be done for just 7 secs) but, as I have found out, quite effective. It has given me good results in firming up my body!! There are specific exercises to help in loosing weight as well.
Old 19th November 2010, 17:21   #10
BHPian

I feel 41 Kgs or 33% weight loss is a bit too much for one year. Isn't 80 kgs for a 5'-11" tall person is a bit on the lean side? Be careful so that you don't land-up in other health problems. Do you overeat? Or are you naturally overweight? Or are you inactive? Better get a through medical check-up before you make any drastic commitments to a different diet or exercise.
Old 19th November 2010, 18:07   #11
BHPian

I tried to blame it on the hormones, a medical test proved nada. I went for a complete body check up recently and everything was clean. The doc who administered the test said that all I had to do was lose weight. The 80 kilos is a target because 5 years ago at the same height, that's how much I weighed. So yes, I've joined countless gyms since, done a ton of diets. The bottomline is that you need to do a slow and steady approach, and quit eating junk food.

I've paid the price for junk food with the weight on the scales ballooning. Now I think its time to get cracking and do something, and what better cause than a Monster. Everytime I head for the junk food closet at work, all I see now is Monster, and I come away with a cup of green tea instead (no milk or sugar)!!!!

My dad used to weigh 140kgs. He fell ill and a month out of hospital, his weight plunged to 67 kgs. This was about 3 years ago. He now weighs about 75 kgs and is pretty skinny but has managed to keep the weight off. The BP issues he had have gone (he's 55 years old) and he says he feels better. My family has a history of high Blood Pressure and Diabetes, two things that I'm trying to avoid. Even if I can make it to 85 kgs, I think that should be grand. The BMI chart shows that my weight for my height should be 72 kgs. My dad is 6' 1'' tall. So I think I've run out of excuses. Now, it's time to claim my Duke :P!

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th November 2010 at 01:24.
Old 20th November 2010, 01:05   #12
BHPian

WOW !!! Thats a good way to motivate yourself. I like that.

Do a combination of activities to lose the weight. I'll explain it :-

1. Do a mix of cardio, weight training and other activities like swimming or playing any other sport.

2. But in the beginning start with only cardio and weight training. For eg. do no more than 20 mins of cardio (a mix of cycling and brisk walking on the treadmill) in the morning and later in the day (say around evening) focus on weight training. Nothing too heavy just the basics and focus on lower body exercises more.

3. As you already know no need for any diet. Just focus on the protein and fats (healthy fats only). Try to ingest your carbohydrates (majority of them) in the morning and at around lunch.

4. Also if you do not emphasize on taking your vitamins and minerals sufficiently from your meals the whole body changing composition process suffers. So eat enough fruits and vegetables.

5. Divide your meals into 4 to 5 times. Please don't do only 3 meals routine. By eating smaller and frequent meals your metabolism will be higher and over the course of time you will realize its benefits. (But i believe you may be knowing this).

6. Keep your food sources clean. Preparation of food is one of the most imp things which we overlook. No need to eat bland or boiled. Just try to eat foods prepared in less oils. No ghee on rotis or in dals. Avoid it. You don't need the saturated fats as you don't need to gain but lose.

7. You exercise regimen and eating patterns should change gradually. What i mean is that you should monitor your progress and change them accordingly.

8. Drink 'gallons' of water literally. (very imp)

9. And let me tell you without resistance(weight) training you aren't going to see much progress. So don't be shy and lift weights. Many won't agree here but i have been seeing real world results.

10. Do the basic exercises like squats (I mean proper butt in the ground), lunges etc. Do not neglect any bodypart.

11. And yes the EATING part is the MOST IMP thing in losing weight or gaining muscle. Btw once in every 10 to 15 days you should enjoy one cheat meal. It won't harm you. Its like FOOD>REST>EXERCISE.

12. Take everything slowly. Don't rush it up. Monitor your progress. Keep a exercise and food log. Helps you focus and track your progress.

What i have laid down is something which is basic and you may take cue from it. Its up to you. If you need any clarification or help you may ask me.

Nevertheless ALL THE VERY BEST. May you get your DUKE sooner. Keep us in the loop.

Last edited by BIG SARAN : 20th November 2010 at 01:13.
Old 20th November 2010, 02:20   #13
SAS
BHPian

Basis what I've read and what success I had in shedding around 9kgs, you just need to do 3 things:
1. Exercise (either cardio or light weights should be fine)
2. Watch your diet
3. Sleep on average 8 hours daily
Old 20th November 2010, 07:38   #14
BHPian

Let me offer some suggestions too... (BTW, I'm overweight too, but that's because of, you know, too much er... dr*nk*ng, I think).

1) Get up very early in the morning. 4:30 AM to 5:00 AM is best. This will also make you sleep early, which is important too.
2) Drink lots of water (1l) first thing.
3) Finish your morning ablutions.
4) Go for a walk (jog if you are comfortable) 5-7 kms everyday (except Sunday).
5) Have a heavy breakfast (enough to keep you going till dinner).
6) Skip lunch and evening snacks, and tea and coffee during the day.
7) Eat everything, eat healthy, but less than you feel comfortable with.
8) Avoid sweets and other "rich" stuff.

Once you get into the rhythm... it will be difficult to stop, and you will become addicted to it. I'd suggest you avoid gyms etc... people who come out of there have an "unnatural look", if you know what I mean. But you can do some weights in your own home if possible.

And remember, the important thing is to "feel" healthy rather than worry about the actual weight.
Old 20th November 2010, 12:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread. My advice ;-

1. Food habits - Eat healthy.
2. Reduce stress.
3. Light exercise and swimming to start then later on heavy exercise. IMO running is the way to go. It is a wholesome exercise, needs no companion or equipment and burns calories.

Some more points :-

1. The initial kilos are easy to lose, later on it will take time and effort. Dont get disheartened.
2. You must have self discipline in eating and exercises.
3. You will need money to keep changing your wardrobe.

This thread is in motorbike section. Is it because of the prize? Shifting gear would have been more appropriate.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 20th November 2010 at 12:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks