Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2023, 21:39   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICSE/CBSE/NIOS/State Schooling system comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is IB the way to go when compared to ICSE?
ICSE is probably the worst board in terms of stress on students. This is due to the "breadth" it covers in terms of subjects and topics. For some parents that is a positive thing. This is from the point of view that it "toughens" up the kids and preps them for hard work. In my opinion, ICSE should be avoided.

Quote:
..what is that he will loose out if put on IB. I heard one of the main thing is that there will not be focus on second language.
Some negative aspects :
  1. Almost no focus on vernacular. For my kids, these languages were in syllabus since that was mandatory. Laws do not require exams to be conducted, so no teacher or student cared about Marathi and Hindi subjects. Students usually choose French/Spanish/German/Mandarin from 6th onwards
  2. Logistical issues around competitive exams. Schools and board handle that on case by case basis . Examples are clashes with JEE / NEET dates and requirements for marks to be in a specific format for state engineering exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
The only difference is I have to decide between Cambridge/CBSE.
Both are pretty good. CBSE has an edge since JEE / NEET are based on it. Cambridge has an advantage in terms of "depth" of subjects. From 9th onwards; students can select "stream" and science students can drop History/Civics etc. Cambridge will usually be more expensive.

For both, Cambridge and IB; kids are strongly discouraged from rote learning. That is a net positive for Engineering/Medicine/Law entrance
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 10:59   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello there. I am in the process of deciding whether to opt for ICSE or IB (the two syllabuses the school offers) for my kid for 1st standard in the coming academic year. We have fixed this particular school, so other syllabuses are out of question.

We have no much ambitions as such at the moment and at the same time no plans to send him overseas later on. We just want to give some good education. Is IB the way to go when compared to ICSE? I kind of understood the advantages that IB brings on but what is that he will loose out if put on IB. I heard one of the main thing is that there will not be focus on second language. Is that a true statement? The school is of a reputed group with huge campus and infrastructure.
Quote:
I am in a similar situation. The only difference is I have to decide between Cambridge/CBSE. Me and my wife been pulling our hair thinking about it. We analyzed it to such an extant that we don't know which direction to take now.
I agree with @NetfreakBombay, ICSE is just a needless sadistic overload of studies. You are better of with CBSE which seems to be a bit more in sync with modern times.

IGCSE (Cambridge)/IB are basically the international flavour of academic programs. You get the obvious advantage of very thoughtfully designed academic courses encouraging application oriented learning, problem solving skills, etc. instead of rote learning and reproducing during the exams. However, all college admissions, exams and the entire eco system in India including premium institutions like IIT/IIM is based on mugging and scoring well in exams. Exceptions are far and few.

One can argue that a student from IGCSE/IB will have a far better understanding of the concepts, but students from CBSE who have been drilled 8 hrs a day will excel in this eco system. For example, NEET exam requires you to answer 200 questions in 180 minutes or so. There is no time to think. You have to recollect things you mugged up at lightening speed and be exceptionally good at managing your time to answer the most number of questions. Thousands of students are coached to excel in these exams and IGCSE/IB students will struggle.

Even after joining professional courses like engineering/medicine, etc. the same methodology continues which is all about bookish knowledge. So if you are from IGCSE/IB background, you will face challenges in this system of education.

If you have plans to send kids abroad and can afford IGCSE/IB, then it's probably a no brainer to opt for this curriculum. For those who want to integrate into the Indian system of education including professional courses might be better served by a hybrid approach. Start the kids in a IGCSE or similar schools that have more thoughtful academic programs and let the kids have a foundation in critical thinking, application oriented learning, etc. Plan a transition to CBSE world after grade 8/9/10 but make sure the transition is gradual and pre-planned. Remember kids will not agree to leave their friends and insist on continuing in the same school.

There are few private colleges/universities being created in India to match the global academic programs which might be a good option for those who want to avoid the entrance test based admissions and don't have plans to go abroad for studies. I have seen news about India allowing foreign universities to setup campus here - so this might work out to be a great option in future.

To keep it short, it makes a lot of sense to send kids to "ALT" schools during early years instead of CBSE "convents" if budget permits. Continue in ALT track if entrance tests are not critical to the future. Switch to CBSE if entrance tests are necessary. Plan and time your transition carefully.

Last edited by androdev : 28th February 2023 at 11:02.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:48   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I am in a similar situation. The only difference is I have to decide between Cambridge/CBSE. Me and my wife been pulling our hair thinking about it. We analyzed it to such an extant that we don't know which direction to take now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
To keep it short, it makes a lot of sense to send kids to "ALT" schools during early years instead of CBSE "convents" if budget permits. Continue in ALT track if entrance tests are not critical to the future. Switch to CBSE if entrance tests are necessary. Plan and time your transition carefully.
@JediKnight, I whole heartedly agree with @androdev's post.

Just to give you my background - my son is in 5th grade, CBSE. He has been in the same school since PP2 and in 2015 when we were deciding between CBSE and Cambridge our main concern was that with Cambridge we might be left with only one option of sending him abroad for graduation, and we might or might not be able to afford that.

Fast forward to 2023, I am now in the process of moving from Hyd to Bangalore because of my new job and that has given us another opportunity to revisit CBSE vs IGCSE debate. What I realized in the last few years is:

- Even in CBSE, a majority of students are now going abroad for higher studies after 12th. I found this true also in my immediate family and friend circle as well. This might not be true for rural India, but seems to be true for most of the Metro& Tier 1 cities.

- Quite a few universities in India now accept SAT score. This might be true before as well, but I wasn't aware. And by the time he graduates in the next 7 years, things would change even more.

Given this, and the perception that overall Cambridge focuses on the concept and less on rote learning, we started leaning towards Cambridge.

Still in the process of finalizing the school. But that's where we are today...

On this note, if someone has a recommendation of a Cambridge school, either in Whitefield or in North Bangalore (Yellahanka/Jakkur/Hebbal) please let me know. For now we have applied in Vidyashilp Academy and Legacy School Bangalore in North Bangalore, and Greenwood High in Varthur. It looks like getting admission in these schools is really tough, and the admission window was in Nov 22
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 00:21   #94
BHPian

Hi guys,

Sorry if I may be coming down a bit harsh here. My point is that we keyboard warriors sit about and discuss ICSE vs CBSE vs IGCSE vs "X"CSE and all but the reality is that you guys are just wasting your money. You might think you are going to provide your kid with world class education by admitting him into an IGCSE school or something but let's face the truth, the truth is you are going to pay maybe around 1 or 2 lakhs per month as fees and think that this would be a good thing for his future but it just isn't, it's a waste of your money and your kid's time. First of all, you might expect global standards, but the reality is far from that, you would be lucky if you have teachers there who can speak proper English and communicate with your child.

2. Even if it is affiliated to Cambridge It's all the same nonsense. Guys open your eyes the schools have all the same facilities but might be at a higher level than the next. This doesn't mean that your child will succeed a lot in his life.

3 All these schools stink, I mean literally they smell so bad, I don't know why but they all do.

4. CBSE teachers speak the same English as these IGCSE teachers do, and that's butler English. Sorry if I am a bit rude here by using the term " Butler english" but it has to be that way, that is how they talk.

5 CBSE is implementing enough policies to make it on par with other international boards.

6. Just save yourself some money and put it into a M.F. or something for your child's college fund.

7. And if you think I am just another keyboard warrior, well I am but, in this matter, a solid "NO" because I am a student in grade 11 who has experienced all these boards, except ICSE though.

Finally my two cents is just get your kid admitted into a CBSE school because in India Rote learning will not go anywhere even in IGCSE because the school teachers who are in that school started out as CBSE teachers, remember the phrase "Old habits die hard" that's what they do when they come to IGCSE too " Rote learning". BTW these "international schools" they don't even have a functional lab, at max just one to sell as eye candy for gullible parents.

Unless your child goes to a school like an American embassy school or consulate affiliated school or schools like The Doon school, Swaminarayan Gurukul, Asian school, Glendale and Russian embassy school you will not waste your money and your child's future will be bright and no Rote learning. Coming from a guy who has studied overseas as well.

PS sorry for not posting these days, I was in my results stress. BTW I scored 85% in my Class 10 Board exams.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th May 2023 at 00:40. Reason: many typos fixed
Drivaholic@2727 is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2023, 15:27   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
On this note, if someone has a recommendation of a Cambridge school, either in Whitefield or in North Bangalore (Yellahanka/Jakkur/Hebbal) please let me know. For now we have applied in Vidyashilp Academy and Legacy School Bangalore in North Bangalore, and Greenwood High in Varthur. It looks like getting admission in these schools is really tough, and the admission window was in Nov 22
Just to close the loop, we finally settled with Legacy School Bangalore. It is quite far (about 65-70 mins) from my office at Whitefield, but this school ticked all my requirements. It starts in Aug, so need to see how this pans out.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks