Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 17:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Document Identification Number (DIN) for Tax Payers

Yet another ID for us... we poor people, need extra special memories just to keep track of new IDs that government keeps introducing.

I-T dept introduces new number for taxpayers for tax filing - The Economic Times

Document Identification Number (DIN)- Another ID for Taxpayers | India Mag

I wonder how many more IDs, we have to keep track and remember...

-Ravi
Old 30th November 2010, 17:55   #2
BHPian

In a perverse way, all those additional numbers are good for us. It allows us some anonymity and privacy and possibly prevents misuse of your identity by obfuscation.

Much better than the horrifying and ill-conceived national UID programme.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

WHAAAT???
What is this new stuff on DIN? I thought DIN was Directors Identification Number
Source - Director Identification Number,Director Identification Number India,Company Identification Number India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib
I wonder how many more IDs, we have to keep track and remember...
Bang true!!! there's so many tracking mechanism & none of them works effectively & none of them are enforced. So much of tax payers money is being wasted unnecessarily.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
WHAAAT???
What is this new stuff on DIN? I thought DIN was Directors Identification Number
Source - Director Identification Number,Director Identification Number India,Company Identification Number India
This is one of the dumbest ideas ever. I have a DIN. This is not a number per se, but a digital signature on USB key. Supposed to make everything secure since it can't be duplicated, assuming you have it in your possession.

You know what is the reality?

I had to handover the USB key to the external accounting company who handle our accounting and auditing. They need it for most of the e-transactions and e-filing they do around the year. If they misuse it, I have no way to find out until the government comes after me. Pretty much every accounting company is sitting on hundreds of DIN USB keys of their clients.

I wonder how this new DIN will be implemented.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:45   #5
BHPian

What was wrong with the PAN number which was supposed to be your Permanent Account Number with the Income Tax People.

These bureaucrats are hell bent on making some of dumbest rules which cause the maximum harassment to the people. For example we have a financial year 2009-10 but the ITO will assess it as Assessment year 2010-11. Why cant we have a uniform financial year from January to December simply known as 2010 and ITO can assess it next year as year 2010 only. Why 2 different terms as Financial year and Assessment Year.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post

Much better than the horrifying and ill-conceived national UID programme.
Sorry. Don't think, I agree with you. How's UID an ill-conceived programme? I thought, UID was like common identifier document for all Indian Nationals and moreover it's scalable. We can get rid of PAN, Voter ID, Ration Card, etc in one go if UID is implemented across. Isn't it?
Old 30th November 2010, 20:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, what wrong with the PAN/TAN???? And the site says the number will be generated automatically by IT. Based on what?

One more contractor getting ready to become millionaire.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is one of the dumbest ideas ever
AND
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
One more contractor getting ready to become millionaire.
I'm going full mode LOL reading ^^^

Quote:
This is not a number per se...you have it in your possession.
Is it? I thought a DIN is something similar to PAN but given for people who're self-employed based on their ownership with the business. A local sweet shop guy over here is mandated to have a DIN!!! Are you saying this is different or the same?

Quote:
I had to handover the USB key to...DIN USB keys of their clients.
That's risky!!! I'll enquire with another person tomorrow as how he does; they're into commercial gas supply.

Quote:
I wonder how this new DIN will be implemented.
As usual sir...tax payers money gone kaput!!! (couldn't use another lol smiley here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
How's UID an ill-conceived programme? I thought...UID is implemented across. Isn't it?
Mate, read the first point & you'll go
10 things you must know about the UID project - India News - IBNLive

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
What was wrong with the PAN number...Tax People.
That's only for salaried class people.

Quote:
These bureaucrats are hell bent on making some of dumbest rules which cause the maximum harassment to the people.
Couldn't agree more; too much of rules, everything on paper, full confusions, no enforcement & finally what matters is...Vitamin M!!!

Quote:
For example we have...2 different terms as Financial year and Assessment Year.
I guess this was started long ago in British era & we couldn't change it in between & now it extremely complex to change.

PS - I feel like calling this Duplicated Identification Number

Last edited by aargee : 30th November 2010 at 20:24.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Sorry. Don't think, I agree with you. How's UID an ill-conceived programme? I thought, UID was like common identifier document for all Indian Nationals and moreover it's scalable. We can get rid of PAN, Voter ID, Ration Card, etc in one go if UID is implemented across. Isn't it?
Quiet obviously, you are the "single, unified database" kind of guy. That's a common fetish. I know, because I was one of them.

There are fundamental questions about privacy and anonymity that are brought into question by adoption of such identifiers. The fact that there was no public debate before the announcement of the UID programme must ring alarm bells for all people who love their freedom and humanity. We are not talking about misuse of the UID (which is bound to happen at the hands of babus and dadas), but the mere conception is dangerous as it has all the seeds of fascist thinking.
Old 30th November 2010, 23:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
Quiet obviously, you are the "single, unified database" kind of guy. That's a common fetish. I know, because I was one of them.

There are fundamental questions about privacy and anonymity that are brought into question by adoption of such identifiers. The fact that there was no public debate before the announcement of the UID programme must ring alarm bells for all people who love their freedom and humanity. We are not talking about misuse of the UID (which is bound to happen at the hands of babus and dadas), but the mere conception is dangerous as it has all the seeds of fascist thinking.
And Quite obviously you appear to be a guy with communist thinking, resisting every change without logic.

My dimwitted mind fails to understand as to how it will affect our privacy, freedom and humanity (?????). Sure few people's UID may be misused but by that logic all of us should stop using the roads, trains and aeroplanes because few accidents do happen.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
AND

PS - I feel like calling this Duplicated Identification Number
@aargee, i like your way of DIN expansion. Very true...

-Ravi
Old 1st December 2010, 19:04   #12
BANNED

Those that like reading, please pick up this book: Database Nation

UID and DIN or PAN in a government DB has serious potential to be misused. After reading this I really appreciated the guy in Terminator movie who lived without credit cards ... even imitated his philosophy for many years years until a few years back
Old 1st December 2010, 19:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai san - I did enquire with the person who has a DIN; he said, the DIN is something like a PAN & like you, he's handed over the DIN to his auditors & was aware of the misuse threat & said he's living with it . But he didn't have a DIN or anything like a digital signature on USB key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
@aargee, i like your way of DIN expansion. Very true...
I'm glad you liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Those that like reading, please pick up this book: Database Nation
But do you think that is applicable even in India? I thought it was applicable only in the west.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks