Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is Indian media biased or unethical?
Yes 116 93.55%
No 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2010, 14:25   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I woudnt need her to come and pay me, because looking at what other rubbish the media industry produces, she is much better. And the last I heard, this was an open forum where I can post MY views and not just go as the flow goes and start bashing people of brands.

And Where I worked is none of your business.
Sorry I wasted everyone's time trying to have a debate with someone who seems to have the reading comprehension and unreasoning pugnaciousness of a 12-year old.

Quote:
What they did was NOT illegal. Lobbying is NOT illegal.

Sure it isnt. For LOBBYISTS! For a journalist who claims to be impartial, it is, at the very least, worthy of losing your job over, if not actually serving a jail term.
Old 5th December 2010, 14:31   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinger View Post
Sorry I wasted everyone's time trying to have a debate with someone who seems to have the reading comprehension and unreasoning pugnaciousness of a 12-year old.
Wow, name calling!! Im impressed by the level of maturity that shows!

Quote:
Sure it isnt. For LOBBYISTS! For a journalist who claims to be impartial, it is, at the very least, worthy of losing your job over, if not actually serving a jail term.
If that is the case, almost every single journalist would be out of a job! That my friend in the harsh reality of reality. Welcome.

Id love to see how many virtuous teamBHPians stop watching NDTV or CNBC or stop buying the times.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 5th December 2010 at 14:32.
Old 5th December 2010, 14:43   #93
BANNED

Quote:
I did. You didn't decipher it correct.
I deciphered it very correctly. My comprehension skills are as good as your evasion skills.

Quote:
Id love to see how many virtuous teamBHPians stop watching NDTV or CNBC or stop buying the times.
I haven't watched NDTV or CNBC (or any 24 hour news channel) for quite a few years now.
Likewise about HT or TOI.

Last edited by carboy : 5th December 2010 at 14:46.
Old 5th December 2010, 15:08   #94
Senior - BHPian

I have gone through all the comments on this thread and also content from other magazines and what Vir has to say (Vir ONLY as I read his column "Counterpoint" in HT every Sunday morning)

I am not sure how many of you have gone through the complete story along with what Vir has to say now and what he wrote at that time!

Both Ambani brothers had an MoU of buying gases at one price. Govt sold to one of them at particular price, while sold to the other one at a higher price, The other brother fought in the court and Court allowed gas to be sold to the brother at MoU price ! (sounds ridiculous) -- Thats what Vir Said - read it here Time for some transparency - Hindustan Times

Now the apparent conversations taped happened a day before this article was written. Vir says, while covering some elements of story, one needs to get in touch with people and agree with them to get the crucial information out.

I fail to understand what wrong he did by writing this article ? This article doesnt benefit any other company, but the government. It asks questions as to why businesses from abroad find hard to do business in India (corruption). Donot forget Ratan Tata said, he was asked bribe to start airlines. So this article is primarily corruption.

What the leaks have got to do ? They are bits and pieces of conversations shown and not full. Who is doing it and what is the intention ?

Suppose a conversation happens between me & a Skoda owner (who is my friend)

Me. How is your car doing
Him: Bad, very bad, why dont you write something about it

Me: Tell me about it
Him: xxxxxxxx

Me: Okay, what is the government doing on it ?
Him -- Nothing, Why dont u write about it ?

Him -- Lets meet up sometime and have a coffee
Me -- Sure dude

I do more research and then write an article about bad A.S.S. of Skoda and lame policies of government which is allowing companies like this flourish, and then this tape is released.

Will I be guilty of ethics ?

How many of you read Virs column ? I have been reading his all counterpoint views every sunday, he was the one who said that Headley is a CIA agent who doubled as ISI agent and turned away from the basic premised of an American agent and instead worked for ISI. Indian government is not releasing this news, neither is US government. Was expecting Wikileaks cablegate to do the needful. Americans were aware that Headley is part of a gang which is planing some major activity in India. They didnt stop him and have arrested him just when Indians were to catch him. He is custody of US with negiligible info to Indians (interview done by Indian intelligence was to fool others). Read his candid report on that.

Let me search for that news story. Here is the link http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...e1-521432.aspx , more here http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...e1-488533.aspx

And a list of all his weekly columns here http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...Photo-Lid.aspx

Please read his columns to understand what he says before thrashing him.

Please analyze the news, story, other persons viewpoint before starting thrashing the other person. And above all why and how "Open" and Outlook got this story ? Whom did they pay to get the information leaked ?

When in doubt, please refer to my conversation with my friend who owns a skoda as mentioned above.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 5th December 2010 at 15:16. Reason: added links
Old 5th December 2010, 16:57   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
And above all why and how "Open" and Outlook got this story ?
The story itself was broken in April by Gopalakrishnan of the Pioneer.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pt1QePVvVX...Raja-Radia.jpg

Quote:
Whom did they pay to get the information leaked ?
Please tell me how is that relevant to what Barkha, Vir, Prabhu et all did?
Quote:
Could you please
When in doubt, please refer to my conversation with my friend who owns a skoda as mentioned above.
Transcript: Radia and Vir Sanghvi: Most Popular : India Today
Transcript: Radia and Barkha Dutt: 2G Scam : India Today
OPEN Magazine
This Is Not Journalism as We Know It | OPEN Magazine

After reading the above links, I feel your imaginary conversation with your friend is a strawman you built & destroyed.
Old 5th December 2010, 17:50   #96
BHPian

Wasnt there something about Ms Barkha Dutt and NDTV threatening and suppressing a blogger on his comments on Ms Barkha's coverage of 26/11 attack?
Old 5th December 2010, 18:01   #97
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you think any single media house in the world is unbiased?
Consumer Reports, for one. It's also one of the largest in the States.

Quote:
Do you actually think TeamBHP for that fact is unbiased??
100% YES

We have stuck to our founding principles and have NOT accepted one single rupee of marketing / advertising from any automotive manufacturer. I take extreme pride in our stance, and this is something the Mod Team holds closely to its heart. EACH & EVERY car review highlights EVERY possible negative factor there is to a car. In fact, at times, owners come back and tell us that the negative factor isn't a deal breaker (though we still take maximum efforts to highlight it). We have absolutely NO reason to be biased, because our financial model is COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT of the car manufacturers. Kindly show me a single large automotive media source in India, whether print or online or TV show, that follows this unique stance.

The difference with Team-BHP is, we say what we REALLY think about the car....and not something that manufacturer advertisement's tell us too. So extreme is our stand that Team-BHP even blocks out all car ads through the google ad network!!

For all popular mass-market cars (typically costing under 10 lakhs), you will also see a multitude of ownership reports. If one owner misses pointing out a negative, you can be sure that the other 49 will.

This is also an OPEN platform where, unlike a print magazine or newspaper, the actual viewers can add their points / disagreements / debates to the SAME review, on the same page and in the same format. I can assure you that no one gets away with talking bull on this forum; our community is way too smart for that.

Quote:
If you do, you SERIOUSLY need a reality check.
Perhaps, you need one too. Not everyone has a "for sale" tag attached to them.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2010 at 18:06.
Old 5th December 2010, 18:19   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Wasnt there something about Ms Barkha Dutt and NDTV threatening and suppressing a blogger on his comments on Ms Barkha's coverage of 26/11 attack?

You can find that original blog post on wikileaks
Old 5th December 2010, 18:39   #99
BHPian

Quote:
The question is all about perception, my friend.

If a well-known PR person can wake up one of the star journalists from sleep, and carry on conversation the way it is put out, that surely points to something.

Tha fact that Radia was a PR person hired by TATA & Ambani, running 2 of the top telecom businesses in the country, and trying to influence the ministry of telecommunication formation, to whatever degree, is in itself a major story which went unreported, to this day, till the leaks happened. And, you call her one of the best journalists we have!!!

Do you think these journalists can pretend to carry on with their job as if nothing has happened? It would be interesting to see what response a politician gives if asked for resignation from these people next time a scam breaks?

Last edited by sanjayc : 5th December 2010 at 18:49.
Old 5th December 2010, 19:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The story itself was broken in April by Gopalakrishnan of the Pioneer.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pt1QePVvVX...Raja-Radia.jpg

Please tell me how is that relevant to what Barkha, Vir, Prabhu et all did?

Transcript: Radia and Vir Sanghvi: Most Popular : India Today
Transcript: Radia and Barkha Dutt: 2G Scam : India Today
OPEN Magazine
This Is Not Journalism as We Know It | OPEN Magazine

After reading the above links, I feel your imaginary conversation with your friend is a strawman you built & destroyed.
please read this too http://virsanghvi.com/CounterPoint-A...il.aspx?ID=582
Old 5th December 2010, 21:00   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Consumer Reports, for one. It's also one of the largest in the States.

100% YES

We have stuck to our founding principles and have NOT accepted one single rupee of marketing / advertising from any automotive manufacturer. I take extreme pride in our stance, and this is something the Mod Team holds closely to its heart. EACH & EVERY car review highlights EVERY possible negative factor there is to a car. In fact, at times, owners come back and tell us that the negative factor isn't a deal breaker (though we still take maximum efforts to highlight it). We have absolutely NO reason to be biased, because our financial model is COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT of the car manufacturers. Kindly show me a single large automotive media source in India, whether print or online or TV show, that follows this unique stance.

The difference with Team-BHP is, we say what we REALLY think about the car....and not something that manufacturer advertisement's tell us too. So extreme is our stand that Team-BHP even blocks out all car ads through the google ad network!!

For all popular mass-market cars (typically costing under 10 lakhs), you will also see a multitude of ownership reports. If one owner misses pointing out a negative, you can be sure that the other 49 will.

This is also an OPEN platform where, unlike a print magazine or newspaper, the actual viewers can add their points / disagreements / debates to the SAME review, on the same page and in the same format. I can assure you that no one gets away with talking bull on this forum; our community is way too smart for that.

Perhaps, you need one too. Not everyone has a "for sale" tag attached to them.
You very well know that this is not what I meant when I said that. I meant in terms of Bias and perception of a person towards a brand. Everyone here has a Bias. That is why we have endless topics on Fiat, Honda, Tata, Mahindra Bashing. You very well know that is it what I meant. Dont make it personal!
Old 5th December 2010, 21:28   #102
Senior - BHPian

I think the conversation has gone a bit personal. The premise or prejudice set here are not the main conversation factor. The ethics of a single person is not reflective on complete community but here there are number of instances cited to say the community at large has shown degradation of values and thus the topic.

If a journalist is to openly give rave reviews as CarNBike show did for Etios sedan, a common man has to be told that its an advertisement rather than saying its our exclusive and unbiased advice. Indian masses impressionable to say the least. Repeated exposure to a statement is deemed to be true and News and Media are held in high esteem.

Also if a foreign publishing is affiliated to a particular political party it is mentioned and everyone knows about it. E.g. Samana is a mouthpiece to Shiv Sena and everyone knows about it.

I hope we all can influence some part of the society to see the things in right light and thus this discussion. Kindly keep it focused on the topic. Cheers!
Old 5th December 2010, 22:53   #103
BANNED

Quote:
please read this too Vir Sanghvi

Well, Azharuddin also says to this day that he didn't fix any matches.
Old 5th December 2010, 23:25   #104
Senior - BHPian

There is one fundamental difference between Humans and (other) Living Organisms.

The Humans have something called emotion which influences thier thinking and hence actions.

This is same or TRUE with all the institutions built by humans, viz.

1. Religious institutions (Temples, Churches, Mosques etc and the priest who manage them on a daily basis)

3. Kings and Royalty (better not said anything)

4. Governments (Politicians, Bureaucracts who are employed by people to run the government for them)

5. Educational Institutions (Universities, Teachers and staff who are respected by the people)

6. Judiciary (i would not like to say any additional bit)

7. Military, Police and Security related. Often considered the last baston of favouritism, but not untouched by emotions.

8. Press / Print / Radio / Television Media : News reporters can sometime become news fixers or news makers as well like any other institutions.

When all these institutions "made for", "made by" and "managed by" humans, thier emotions, choices, preferences aften influence the decisions and outcomes. This is natural.

More so in these days of information or knowledge overload, when salesmen have become deal makers or lobbiest or king makers, the boundaries of ethics often blurr and emotions take over. This is also natural.

Only way to avoid such consequences is to learn from past mistakes or such occations and put in place safeguards and processes to avoid such situations in future.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 5th December 2010 at 23:28.
Old 5th December 2010, 23:25   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
My my, quite a long drawn assumption about my "likes" your supposedly superior maturity. I can only draw conclusions about your hidden and suppressed sympathies based on your unwarranted and strong rebuttal. However you are free to have your more "balanced" views, not a problem for me.

Take a moment to consider that the person posting may have made a harder effort at reading up on politics media and propaganda than you are likely to have.

-Ragul
Ofcourse and no doubt about that.

Drawing conclusions after hard effort on reading on political media and propaganda that someone else has written is immature than
drawing conclusions after talking to people of affected areas and knowing
their views then mathching or mis matching them with what is thrown at us by our Indian Media.

See how correct information helps in real life.
This was 2 months back.
On the pretext of prevention of an engineered virus, people everywhere
are being given injections.
Once my colleagues were leaving office early to get themselves injected with something advertised in the media everywhere as free.

I told my colleagues to stop and not get injected as I
had knowledge of what is going on. One colleague from AP
blamed me for being cynical and having reservations about
everything. I showed them my source of information, not the
main stream media but supposed theorists and professional
medical doctors.
They saw the 6 minute video and did not go to get themselves impotent or mis carried.

Here - feast on truth : -

Many geniuses living abroad for years together
don't know this, & question what is my definition of a terrorist.
Look for yourself.

If you carefully observe the video does not contain beared mullahs delivering Jumma sermons,but, professional medical doctors and, 'American' whistleblowers.

A few unaware people who took the injections went violently sick
and skipped a couple of days with fever. Our desis realised
what transpired. But here is the real kicker.
Once after a team lunch we went to a courier shop with my colleagues,
and when I was swiping my card for payment, an old lady
walks in the shop and asks the shop incharge if she took
the free injection. The shop lady replied loud enough
for all my countrymen colleagues to hear "You know what
honey, after I took the shots, I became ill instead of feeling
any better."
Did the AP guy take the shot? No.
Can he look me in the eye? No.
Why ? Because he is still perplexed on how a person with hidden supressed sympathy for yonder side can help his fellow countrymen.
Right @Ragul?

It will be interesting to know how the effort at reading up
on 'politics media and propaganda' helped the our countrymen.

Now read the first line item/agenda on the Georgia Guidestones
and relate it with my incident. Welcome to reality.

There, truth and correct news sources helped not only me but
my fellow countrymen as well. All from different
communities than me and different places of my country, India.

Now you take a moment to decide who has taken
more efforts digging and saving his own
countrymen from some harm however miniscule it might be
or reading second hand transcripts and doing nothing about it.
Atleast I did something.
All this from a person having 'hidden and suppressed sympathies'. Jai H... ah! forget it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks