Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:10   #1
BHPian

Ambassador Gran Turismo-My proposal

Hey guys. I just wanted to share my thesis project with you. Iwanted to re-interpret the Hindustan Ambassador in a modern way. I came up with this concept due to my irritation at how DC carried out his "interpretation" of what the amby should look like. So here's my take.

I was inspired by the teardrop shape we tend to see in India nowadays. I decided to merge that with a sort of seductive body ( remember that condom ad with the woman in the half sari all wet and everything?..Yeah I know)

Anyways all opinions are welcome. More sketches as ideas progress.
Cheers

Ambassador Gran Turismo-My proposal-ambassador_gt_1_by_pegasusprimed35gz4w.jpg

Ambassador Gran Turismo-My proposal-ambassador_gt_2_by_pegasusprimed35gz6m.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd January 2011 at 09:25. Reason: Images moved to Team-BHP server. In future, please upload the images here itself. Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Ambassador Gran Turismo-My proposal

eeerrrm,where is the Ambassador in this ? Please enlighten me on how the tear drop fell on the delightful ambi and squashed it into pieces and amazingly transformed whilst wetting itself and everything.... sorry i dont know.

I'm intrigued, no seriously. What's the thesis project about?
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
eeerrrm,where is the Ambassador in this ? Please enlighten me on how the tear drop fell on the delightful ambi and squashed it into pieces and amazingly transformed whilst wetting itself and everything.... sorry i dont know.

I'm intrigued, no seriously. What's the thesis project about?
Thank You for your question. I'm glad you're intrigued, thats exactly the feeling I was going for.
OK let me clarify what I'm going on about. You will not see the original proportions or stance in this car since this is not based on the original rather its an original concept that shares certain visual cues. Its more a reboot of the original i.e if the Amby was being designed today, what would it look like.

As far as the tear drop goes, if you look at the headlights in the front and the taillights in the back along with the sideglass of the car you can see the teardrop shape.I should clarify that the teardrop shape is abstract, dont go looking for teardrop shapes rather look for the lines that define it.

Also notice the line which goes from behind the front wheels to the back and over the real wheel into the taillight, thats a throwback to the original car. The grill has been turned over because right-way-up it looks too much like a mini and that would spoil the originality.

On the bonnet you can see two depressions, that is also based on the hood of the original albeit more aggressive and contoured to give the impression of power and strength reinforcing the "road-king" attitude of the original.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions as it will help me refine the concept. Thanks!!
Old 30th December 2010, 16:04   #4
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Great concept!

I loved the front styling.

The design is very modern and futuristic.

Actually I personally would love to have some retro feel to it.
Old 30th December 2010, 16:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

The front looks more AM than HM. hehe

Shan2nu
Old 30th December 2010, 18:08   #6
BHPian

I don't understand the relation to an Amby. Is it what it is going to be based on? Amby as the base?
Old 30th December 2010, 18:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
I don't understand the relation to an Amby. Is it what it is going to be based on? Amby as the base?
No, it is my proposal for a brand new Amby on a new chassis and drivetrain.I have just included these sketches as an indicator of what the final outcome will be. Basically a 2-door 4 seater grand tourer similar to the BMW Grand Tourer concept
Old 30th December 2010, 20:59   #8
BHPian

@CCD198 : I love the design , however I see no reason why you would want to call it an Amby . Like everyone , I have the same thing to say how is it even remotely related to an Amby . No offence meant but the Amby relation is not quiet apparent . Someone could come up with a design that looks similar to a Lambo or a Ferrari and say that its the future FIAT PADMINI however the relation would be unclear . Like you must have seen the Amberoid that was designed by DC . It had design cues from the Amby . Just my opinion . Love the designs though .
Old 30th December 2010, 23:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, but if Ambassador was designed today, it would still look similar to what it is

I dont see any tear drop resemblance here or why you have linked it to an Amby of all cars. Just call it a concept sir. Dont mess up your concepts. These will only stir up unwanted questions.

And personally I do not like DC designs at ALL. But i still like the Amby he came up with.

As a concept, it is ok. Way to go...
Old 30th December 2010, 23:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

great work crazycardude198 !!

@ thedreamcatcher i too dislike 80% of DC designs creations.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Sorry, but if Ambassador was designed today, it would still look similar to what it is

I dont see any tear drop resemblance here or why you have linked it to an Amby of all cars. Just call it a concept sir. Dont mess up your concepts. These will only stir up unwanted questions.

And personally I do not like DC designs at ALL. But i still like the Amby he came up with.

As a concept, it is ok. Way to go...
That a subjective point. Take the new Mini and Beetle. They both use cues from the original cars but they couldn't be more different. A car means many things to many people. Some are offended by a radical redesign, others find it intriguing. So yes it would look similar, but it doesnt really need to.

As I mentioned dont go hunting for tear drop shapes on the car, you wont find it that way. I used the tear drop curve and twisted and turned it to get a unique shape. its just my interpretation of a line. Some see it, others dont.

As to why I chose the Ambassador of all cars, well truly, honestly, I hate it. Anyone who thinks that the Ambassador is "safe" or "efficient" clearly need to get their head examined. This car, for all intents and purposes is a design originally developed in Britain, which also happens to be the nation that ruled our land with an iron fist. Not to mention that HM like our politicians were not held accountable for the horrible build quality and essentially lived a life of Oligarchs, enjoying the profits from a car they barely knew how to make right.

Long story short the Ambassador, for me, represents all that was good and bad about India post independence. Now I feel India needs a new Ambassador, literally and figuratively. So I decided to start this up. The Amby name has some emotional connotation to many many Indians. It would make sense to build on the emotional equity and create a new product to carry the flame forward. This was my logic when making the concept.

As for the DC concept car let me just say this. I respect DC's artistic talents and I respect his right to create something that he finds unique, but here is my view.The Amberoid is too much like the original car, there is really nothing original about it. Yes it's big, has cool lights and an awesome interior, but it looks too much like an Ambassador pumped up with steroids than a brand new idea. Thats what I am planning to do. Come up with a new idea for the Ambassador. I want to challenge the idea of what an Amby should look like. Some may not like this thinking, and thats ok. This is just my concept, if you agree with me, fine. If not, still fine, I cant make you like something just because I said so.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:58   #12
BANNED

Seriously ... what you smoking? My question is prompted because you insist on calling it an Amby variant. I would say give it its own identity and let it evolve. Or is it shock value you are looking for by calling it an Amby upgrade?

Cheers
Old 31st December 2010, 00:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Seriously ... what you smoking? My question is prompted because you insist on calling it an Amby variant. I would say give it its own identity and let it evolve. Or is it shock value you are looking for by calling it an Amby upgrade?

Cheers
Its not an Ambassador variant, this is a brand new car I am developing. It is supposed to be a completely fresh design. I'm attaching the name Ambassador because thats what I want it to be called. I want to use the emotional value of the name and use it to introduce a new car.

This isnt the first time its been tried you know...
Old 31st December 2010, 00:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
@CCD198 : I love the design , however I see no reason why you would want to call it an Amby . Like everyone , I have the same thing to say how is it even remotely related to an Amby . No offence meant but the Amby relation is not quiet apparent . Someone could come up with a design that looks similar to a Lambo or a Ferrari and say that its the future FIAT PADMINI however the relation would be unclear . Like you must have seen the Amberoid that was designed by DC . It had design cues from the Amby . Just my opinion . Love the designs though .
Thank you for your feedback. Ok I am getting a lot heat for calling this an Ambassador. In a way I am glad because it proves how deep the name actually goes in this country.

Ok here goes. Why is it called Ambassador? Simple, because I want it to be called Ambassador. I dont like the original car and I want to do better. I want to make it into the car I feel would best represent the Ambassador name in today's modern India. I feel that affluent Indians should not buy foreign brands and should stick to Indian ones, Amby being one of them.

Am I being provocative, yes to a certain extent I am. When anyone introduces a new idea which challenges something old and established, it is immediately met with resistance and apprehension. Even hate in some cases.

Does this concept look like an Ambassador. No, it does not. Does it need to? Now that is up to you to decide. I believe that there needs to be some visual link to the original but not in a way that makes it obvious.

Reason is because if I make this car look like an Ambassador, I am making a "new" Ambassador, i.e the latest version of the current car. I dont want that. Apart from a few visual reference, I dont want to create a link between the two. This is going to be its own entity with its own personality. In other words I am going back to the drawing board with the car and the name.

Its the same thing that GM did with the new Camaro. Apart from a few visuals, its a completely new car. It uses the Camaro brand value and creates a new idea. This is what I plan to do.
Old 1st January 2011, 13:26   #15
BHPian

good stuff - i understand what you are trying to do. If i were to buy an amby today, this is how i would want it to look :-) maybe it was done wrong in the past, maybe the materials did not allow for anything better in those days - but in today's world of possibilities, i am sure if the amby was created today it would be very different from the original!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks