Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 01:23   #1
BHPian

Organic food

I wanted to find out if we get Organic vegetables/fruits in Chennai. We have an infant who is just starting out on solid foods and I want to make sure that we reduce his exposure to pesticides as much as possible.

The US EPA warns that infants and children are at much greater risk to the exposure of pesticides.
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsh...dpesticide.htm

Any pointers to availability of organic/pesticide free fruits and vegetables in Chennai would be helpful.

Mods: I could not find another thread where this discussion was going on. If one exists, please merge it.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Organic food

Sunday morning, elliots beach, one guys sells some oraganic stuff in Toyota Corolla. Basically pulses, some veggies also. not sure of fruits.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread!!

I am looking for affordable organic food in Bangalore, not Namdari kinds where they charge a premium and is not practical for every day use.

I heard that there is one near lalbagh, need to find it out.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Nice thread!!

I am looking for affordable organic food in Bangalore, not Namdari kinds where they charge a premium and is not practical for every day use.

There used to be one near Bellandur ( near the Ruh restaurant ). Have to check if it's still open.
Old 8th February 2011, 13:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Nice thread!!

try this....

Simply Organic
2069, 20th Main, 2nd Block,
Rajajinagar, Bangalore 560 010.
Tel: 2332 1314
Open from 9:30am to 8:30pm.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:27   #6
BHPian

Why would you want to get your infant's digestive system used to something that he/she may not be eating for the rest of his life. Basically just give him regular vegetables which you and me eat. Just take the regular precaution of washing them, etc. An infant's body is in a phase where his immune system is being built up. Get it used to what it's going to face for the rest of his life.

Just my 2 cents.
kalpeshc is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2011, 15:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

Wash the vegetables and pulses thoroughly, and most of the pestisided get washed out. this organic food thing is more of hype than actual. Most pesticides cannot enter through the skin of the vegetable. So give a thorough wash under the tap. you can even call it your DIY organicizer.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:38   #8
BANNED

Agree to the organic thing being a big hype. And please feed the child what you eat. Take the basic precautions and you should be good.

What next oxygen cylinder in the school bag?
Old 8th February 2011, 15:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Agree to the organic thing being a big hype. And please feed the child what you eat. Take the basic precautions and you should be good.

Did you imagine /guess , that you will be paying 10-15rs for a 1 liter water ,like few years ago? . Even non drinking water needs to be purchased now.

This oxygen thing will be a reality like water .
Old 8th February 2011, 15:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:

LOL Spitfire! That was a good one.

I agree that this is entire business of selling organic products is a hoax.Yes,we live in a polluted environment but I guess it wont do any good to our kids if we start to insulate them to this extent.Let them grow with healthy and balanced diet and they should be good.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

spitfire that was a good one

Today most of what we consumed is polluted and if one looks at it seriously we need to consider the air pollution first, i remember watching a documentary in DD 15+years bag on kids wearing oxygen masks i guess we are not far away from it!

Quote:

Old 8th February 2011, 17:08   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Did you imagine /guess , that you will be paying 10-15rs for a 1 liter water ,like few years ago? .
Thats another fear psychosis.

I find this situation very weird in restaurants.

I get to a table in a fine restaurant.

Waiter: Sir, mineral or normal.
Me: Is something wrong with the normal water? Not clean?
Waiter: (with a priceless look on his face) Why no sir.
Me: Then normal it will be.

I must have saved a few thousand rupees by now.

But I do get those Rs 60/20 litre cans and every time that guy comes with it I feel a bit low.

Gaye shaat rupaiya paani mein (literally). Translated: There goes rs 60 in the water.

My 3 year old son drinks the same water.

And about the gas mask thing. Well all that is scary. Maybe we will evolve - I trust Darwin. A la Waterworld, maybe grow an extra membrane in the lungs. But until then I will drive around with the windshield down.
Old 8th February 2011, 17:27   #13
Team-BHP Support

Even I drink normal water in most restaurants. For places where water quality is suspect, I usually have a few bottles of water in the car to save money.
Old 8th February 2011, 19:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even I drink normal water in most restaurants. For places where water quality is suspect, I usually have a few bottles of water in the car to save money.
Tanveer, research the specific brand that you buy. I have read that mineral water bottle have some chemicals leach into them from the bottles (over long period, under the hot sun etc). We have shifted to steel bottles and always fill them up before leaving home, with a couple ice cubes in them. There are a few bottles of water in car all the time, but we have reduced their usage to almost nil.

regd organic, I think it also conveys non genetically modified. GM food has not entered india yet as far as i understand, so you should be fine. I have told my wife to resist the perfect round, bright spotless apperance of food since in all probability they are GM.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:16   #15
BHPian

There is one shop selling Organic veggies on the ECR somewhere near Alreef. The best organic veggies I would trust has to grow on my backyard. Its not really tough if one has a little space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Tanveer, research the specific brand that you buy. I have read that mineral water bottle have some chemicals leach into them from the bottles (over long period, under the hot sun etc). We have shifted to steel bottles and always fill them up before leaving home, with a couple ice cubes in them. There are a few bottles of water in car all the time, but we have reduced their usage to almost nil.

regd organic, I think it also conveys non genetically modified. GM food has not entered india yet as far as i understand, so you should be fine. I have told my wife to resist the perfect round, bright spotless apperance of food since in all probability they are GM.
Very true. Steel is good, I thought Glass is ok too ( your views on glass vivekiny2k ?). I think its best to avoid plastic in all forms when and where we have a choice to avoid. And not to buy all those plastic bottles that contain cool drinks. I buy most of the cool drinks on crates, glass bottles, safer for us and the earth. and a few rupees cheaper too.

Happy someone brought this up!

Last edited by YaeJay : 8th February 2011 at 23:25. Reason: ! Grrr Plastic! Allergic! even to credit cards! in other words, I want my great great grand children to enjoy the planet. :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks