Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 19:19   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Trekking Thread

Visiting this thread after a long time.

A new place to report!

We (Me and Condor) headed to a place called Hullu Kaddi Betta. This place lies in between Dobbaspet and Doddaballapur.
After driving half way between the two towns on NH207, one needs to deviate away to reach to the base of the hill.
NH207 by the way looks refreshing with a new coat of tar. Driving through country roads early morning with a cool breeze is very soothing.

Steps are cut in stones to climb from the base and its a decent walk to the top. By the time we reached the sun had already risen.
Hence we missed it. Its not a true trekker's place, but provides ample oppurtunities to see things around.

Since we went in April it was pretty dry. Maybe in August/September the place becomes even nicer.

One can use Dobbaspet option to come here, so that he/she can have an access to Kamat and CCD for food.

Here are some snaps to showcase the place.

A view on the way
The Trekking Thread-img_4345a3.jpg

Views from the top/while climbing
The Trekking Thread-img_4391a3.jpg
The Trekking Thread-img_4490a3.jpg

Few other "distraction" for the camera
The Trekking Thread-img_4447a3.jpg
The Trekking Thread-img_4414a3.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 27th April 2012 at 19:36.
Old 27th June 2012, 10:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

I’m planning to go for this trek.
Plan is to leave early morning Sunday (7/1) so that we can start trekking by morning around 7am (its 210 kms from Bangalore).
Spend one and half day trekking and we can return by Monday night or Tuesday early morning.

Mystery Trails - Trekking route - Details of M.M. Hills to Naaga Male trek

No plans to change this to Sat-Sun as of now. If we have enough participants (4-6) the above plan stays good.
Please let me know if anyone’s interested.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:41   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
No plans to change this to Sat-Sun as of now. If we have enough participants (4-6) the above plan stays good.
Please let me know if anyone’s interested.
Ketan,

Did you finish this trek?
If yes, would be very good to know about this place.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ketan,

I couldnt, its definately a great place! Didnt get many participants and once I even thought of going alone, but then end up going on a short weekend drive to Kolli Hills.
This trek is supposed to be good if you like nature. I wish I can do all the routes on the list. I will be back again after Aug first week once I'm done with my SMU exams.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:00   #125
Team-BHP Support

Sleeping bag question

I have gotten sleeping bags from Stikage Delhi(reputed seller, supplies to many) for 1800. They are rated for -10 degree C(comfort rating).

I have had the unpleasant experience of sleeping at -7 degree C(-3 inside the room), and even with 2 quilts we were shivering.

I somehow cannot imagine how come a sleeping bag, with much thinner material than 2 quilts give better insulation.

Those who do high altitude camping, can you please share your experience.
We are expecting a minimum temp of -5 (worst case -10, but rare chance), at where we are camping.
Old 13th September 2012, 15:13   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sleeping bag question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have gotten sleeping bags from Stikage Delhi(reputed seller, supplies to many) for 1800. They are rated for -10 degree C(comfort rating).

I have had the unpleasant experience of sleeping at -7 degree C(-3 inside the room), and even with 2 quilts we were shivering.

I somehow cannot imagine how come a sleeping bag, with much thinner material than 2 quilts give better insulation.

We are expecting a minimum temp of -5 (worst case -10, but rare chance), at where we are camping.
The sleeping bag SHOULD have a layer of down. And zip yourself up completely into the sleeping bag. No, you shouldn't suffocate.
Old 13th September 2012, 20:24   #127
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Has anyone done Gangotri<>Gaumukh trek? Tanveer, I know you have been to those places but not sure if you have gone for the trek.
I'm planning to drive to chardham this October (second and third week). If someone can provide some inputs on below, it would be great!

1> Do we need those high altitude sleeping bags at Kedar/Gangotri or other dhams during October 2/3 week?
2> Can anyone help me understand how difficult the trek is! I'm not a great trekker but can do short treks without much problems so assuming should be able to do Gaumukh as well. However, need to know if ladies in the family can also give this a try! they are all excited to go to Gaumukh, I understand it may be a two day trek, one day up the Gaumukh glacier and one day to come back.
3> I know I'm short on trim during this trip, but love to include Chdrashila/Chopta on my way, if someone has done this already and can tell me how much time it takes, it would be great help, less probabilities that I will be able to include this in itinerary though.

Thank you.
Old 13th September 2012, 20:41   #128
BHPian

Re: Sleeping bag question

Quote:

It is the nature of the filling inside the sleeping bag, which matters. A good down sleeping bag, or even a good synthetic sleeping bag should be able to do -10 degrees very well - just don't go by Indian manufacturers (wildcraft etc.) at their ratings.

Typically, expect a half decent sleeping bag to cost upwards of 5k, with tested brands coming for around 9-10k (for a -15, -20C, three seasons bag). In any case, wear thermal inners (especially lower body), and socks in the sleeping bag. I have gotten comfortable with sleeping in bags over time, by sleeping in front of the AC at 16.

Once, while using a rented synthetic sleeping bag, it was so cold that I had to sleep inside while wearing a down jacket. One has to do what one has to do

Also take care to ensure that down sleeping bags have not gotten damp. They completely lose their insulation qualities (thats one of the best reasons to get a synthetic one, which end up being slightly bigger when packed)
Old 13th September 2012, 20:45   #129
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the down one was 2500, this synthetic one is 1800. The seller said both are equally warm, but down was much smaller when packed.
We plan to wear down jacket + also have an extra blanket in the tent.

And guess what if it gets really cold, there is always the white elephant with her heater
Old 13th September 2012, 20:54   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the down one was 2500, this synthetic one is 1800. The seller said both are equally warm, but down was much smaller when packed.

And guess what if it gets really cold, there is always the white elephant with her heater
hahaha! best is to drink a couple of cups of garlic soup, or green tea before going to sleep, and use a hot water bladder to warm the bed - I do that in delhi itself.
Old 21st October 2012, 21:37   #131
BHPian

Is there any place in Delhi I can get a decent set of Snow boots? Something like the columbia snow boots? Timberland seem to be way too expensive even in the US (~200 USD).

What should I be looking for assuming that if all works out, these boots will get to see the Zanskar river?
Old 2nd January 2013, 13:08   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hello tsk,

you made that trip already? Sorry, I haven't looked at all your triplogs, will go search there as well. Please share more details on sleeping bags, vendor and how to get it!

I shall share my Gangotri trip details soon once I have pictures and more details out.
Old 2nd January 2013, 13:31   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Hello tsk,

you made that trip already? Sorry, I haven't looked at all your triplogs, will go search there as well. Please share more details on sleeping bags, vendor and how to get it!

I shall share my Gangotri trip details soon once I have pictures and more details out.
The sleeping bag turned out not to be fit for even -5 degree C, forget -10
The seller was
stikage, and I suggest you take their -20 claims with a barrel of salt.
I suggest you buy the -5 one from Decathlon. Atleast it will do what it claims to do!
Old 5th February 2013, 18:46   #134
BHPian

Hi!
Just came across this site. Quite keen on trekking (short trips / overnighters).
Have the following equipment:
1. Sleeping Bags
2. Sleeping Mats
3. Tent for Three

Stay near the University. Quite fit & able @ 46 yrs. Are there any plans brewing for a day or overnighter in the near future, would love to join.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:15   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ketan,

I did this last weekend. Initial 5-7 kms was done by jeep since that is a jeep track and wouldn't be fun walking that stretch under the hot sun and hardly any trees around. Another 5+ kms to make it to Nagmale with a couple hills to climb was a good exercise.
Second leg was from Nagmale to Palar which we started after lunch and could finish it by evening when we reached SH79. Overall it was a great experience, especially the second leg since it was true forest trek and there was hardly anyone on the trail with some light animal/birds sightings due to a hot, summer day walk. Here is the track and you can look at some more pictures/better version on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5352202&type=3

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b...agmale-palar/#

Another trek I did last month, that was kind of short one but nice to do such once a month or so..

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b...-kunda-trail/#

Tanveer, I haven't written the trip logs yet, I will try and learn from your trip reports first in the mean time, I have pictures and traks from Gangotri that you can find here.

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b...-to-bhojbasa/#
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b...basa/#overview

Note: for Garmin Adventures, you may have to refresh the IE Browser window if its not showing the track on the map and elevation details at first attempt, I had to do that on IE10, not sure about other browsers. Hybrid seems to be a better view.

Have a good day!
Attached Thumbnails
The Trekking Thread-mmnmpl.jpg  

Last edited by Ketan : 26th March 2013 at 22:24.

Most Viewed