Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 22:48   #136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I did this last weekend. Initial 5-7 kms was done by jeep since that is a jeep track and wouldn't be fun walking that stretch under the hot sun and hardly any trees around.
That was nice Ketan. But as you said the heat must have really wrecked havoc. The place looks very dry. Really wonder how this trail would transform after rains.

Also looks like the second place is Skandagiri ?Are Night treks still allowed? I had read some where that they trying restrict night trekking.

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2013 at 23:05.
Old 27th March 2013, 07:37   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Trekking Thread

Thank you. You're right, heat was the big issue, my past few treks were in night (twice makalidurg, Kaurava Kunda, Biligudda and Karigudda at Savandurga, Kuntibetta etc.) so I found this to be difficult when we were climbing the hill under the hot sun, second leg wasn't that exhausting but needed some muscle strength walking long and descending good distance.

As per my last information (some time back), Skandagiri is still not open, locals + cops not allowing out there is what I have heard. If I get a change in status about Skandagiri, I will let all here know, it'd be a good place to go for night trek.
Old 27th March 2013, 07:45   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b...-to-bhojbasa/#
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b...basa/#overview

Note: for Garmin Adventures, you may have to refresh the IE Browser window if its not showing the track on the map and elevation details at first attempt, I had to do that on IE10, not sure about other browsers. Hybrid seems to be a better view.

Have a good day!
Ketan,

I see you have the Garmin etrex 20! I have the same unit, but am flummoxed about using it (just don't have the patience to go through with it). You reckon we can catch up and maybe you can give me a lowdown on this? I have a few high altitude treks coming up in the north.

Do PM me your number so we can talk?
Old 14th September 2013, 17:02   #139
Senior - BHPian

Hi RedLiner, did you make that trek/trip? It will be interesting to listen to you experience. Please share with us if you did.

Guys,

Winter is soon going to be here. We have quite some places around Bangalore that we can trek. I know there are some of you who do it on regular basis. If you are doing it on regular basis, can we start sharing the schedule here on this thread so others interested can also join!

Thank you.
Old 15th September 2013, 09:13   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi RedLiner, did you make that trek/trip? It will be interesting to listen to you experience. Please share with us if you did.

Guys,

Winter is soon going to be here. We have quite some places around Bangalore that we can trek. I know there are some of you who do it on regular basis. If you are doing it on regular basis, can we start sharing the schedule here on this thread so others interested can also join!

Thank you.
No I didn't. Thankful because the cloudburst happened just then! Hopefully off on another one soon though.
Old 12th July 2019, 21:22   #141
Senior - BHPian

Short hiking destinations in Karnataka/Kerala/TN

I'd like to take my family on a nice road trip with some mountain/jungle hiking. I'd like them to experience the joy of walking through nature and hopefully reward them with some nice scenery/views at the end. I am travelling with some not too fit aged parents and hence am not planning to do anything too serious. So here are the requirements

1) A good easy hiking trail, with a nice view.

2) Total length < 10 km. Not too steep/slippery/wild i.e. comfortable for aged people, yet allow them to get away from the city.

3) Within 8 hours of driving from Mysore.

Bonus points if there are other things to do nearby. A good option which we did in the past was Neliampathy in Kerala. Something like that maybe? Thanks in advance!!
Old 14th February 2020, 21:31   #142
BHPian

Hi all,
I recently went on a trekking expedition in Uttarakhand. Kedarkantha Snow trek to be precise. As the temperatures when we visited ranged between -18 and -5 being the maximum, carrying proper gear was necessary.
Of course, everything is available at Decathlon, but they are ludicrously expensive. Trekking gear, right from Jackets to Shoes, Rucksacks, etc can set you back upto 1 Lakh easily. Buying them is worth the amount spent for regular trekkers. For someone like me, who treks once in many years, this being my first trek, purchasing would not be wise thing to do.
The coldest it ever gets in Bengaluru is 15 degrees.
So, much to my relief, came across this X-Dog rentals that rents out trekking gears, tents, riding gears and many things and they have quite a collection. Here's their contact details for those who might be interested in checking out.
The Trekking Thread-whatsapp-image-20200108-12.49.15.jpeg
Paid them a visit and three of us in our group ended up renting most of the gears.
They have maintained the gears in excellent condition.
However, I advise you to call them before going there because it can get really crowded sometimes, due to which, you might not be able to find the items you had booked.

Last edited by Abhinav V : 14th February 2020 at 22:01.
Abhinav V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 12:55   #143
BHPian

How is Sandakphu-Phalut trek in early December? Being a novice, I am in two minds and need some help in deciding before I make the booking through an agency like IndiaHikes. Any advice or suggestions?
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:45   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
How is Sandakphu-Phalut trek in early December? Being a novice, I am in two minds and need some help in deciding before I make the booking through an agency like IndiaHikes. Any advice or suggestions?
I just returned from the Dayara Bugyal trek with IndiaHikes and the experience with them was just great.

The details Indiahikes captures on each trek in their website appear to be apt. Hope the best time to visit section in this page gives you the info needed.
DaiusPitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:39   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
I just returned from the Dayara Bugyal trek with IndiaHikes and the experience with them was just great.

The details Indiahikes captures on each trek in their website appear to be apt. Hope the best time to visit section in this page gives you the info needed.
Thanks man. Already went through this link and few other blogs as well. Was hoping for feedback from someone who has done it recently.

How was Dayara Bugyal? Would you recommend it for a novice?
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:04   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
How was Dayara Bugyal? Would you recommend it for a novice?
Its one of the Easy to Moderate treks. So definitely a great starting point for novices. I chose this as a first trek for my daughters aged 10 and 8. My 8 year old was beat at the end of each day but still up for the next day.

Which is not to say it is a cakewalk for adults. This is relatively still a high altitude trek. You ascend from 7,096 ft to 11,800 ft over 4 days of the actual trek ignoring the other two days to and from the basecamp. We did have a couple of AMS cases in our batch. And one adult was on the verge getting sent back to the basecamp but pulled through with help from the group.

The other good thing with Indiahikes is the low investment in gear as a novice because you can rent backpacks, shoes, trek poles, headlamps, padded jackets, woollen hats etc. The works. The sleeping bags and liners that they provide are good as well.

Hope this helps.
DaiusPitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 20:45   #147
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please tell how did this guy even end up at that spot in first place, to a place where even the rescuers couldn't reach and even the NDRF gave up and finally the Army to rescue.

The Trekking Thread-trekk.jpg

The Trekking Thread-image-1.jpg

The Trekking Thread-1image.jpg

Quote:
Courtesy: https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...-attempts.html

Palakkad: A 23-year-old youth who was trapped in the cleft of a remote hill near Malampuzha in Kerala's Palakkad district has been rescued by an Army team on Wednesday morning. he youth, Babu, was brought to the top of the hill by around 10.15 am, two days after he had gone up while exploring the hill along with his other two friends.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 10:23   #148
Senior - BHPian

That was an amazing adventure for the youth which luckily for him ended well. Imagine his fortune when he slipped and fell to have managed to get hold onto a small crevice and again he falls and still manages to land himself in a gap.

After nearly 45Hrs or so, he gets rescued. Like the Army commander said, kudos to his mental fortitude for staying strong despite no food/water and in such a precarious position.

Thanks to all the people involved in his rescue!

edit: The forest department is planning to file case against him and his friends for trekking in that forbidden area.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:26   #149
BHPian

What a lucky guy he is!
On a lighter note:
Name:  20220210_122346.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  49.2 KB
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:06   #150
BHPian

Hi All,
Was looking for recommendations for a trekking/hiking/ jungle walk guides around Mumbai preferably based on personal experiences of members.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks