Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 13:38   #16
BANNED

Re: R.I.P. Uncle Pai (Amar Chitra Katha & Tinkle)

RIP Uncle Pai.

I hope somebody is there to pick up the mantle and continue his wonderful work.

--R
Old 25th February 2011, 14:40   #17
BHPian

my first memory of tinkle : the central market in mangalore where i used to urge dad to get me a copy, supandi, tantri the mantri, kaalia the crow, shikari shambu...who does not identify these characters. Thank you Uncle Pai, hope the legacy of ACK and Tinkle continue to educate and entertain generations to come. May god bless the departed soul.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Truly a man who deserves a Bharat Ratna, nothing less, for the manner in which he has influenced 3-4 generations of Indians.

+100^100 To that , He sure got millions of kids into reading, A few of my friends in late 20's still read Tinkle. I learnt more about India and our history from ACK then any text book in school.

RIP Uncle Pai.
Old 25th February 2011, 16:02   #19
BHPian

I was just planning to create a new post when I refreshed this page and saw this post. I have always cherished his comics in my childhood. I remember those days when we used to exchange the Tinkle with each other. Their standard of English for a kid is very good too. I am sure to buy those books today too for my kid when he starts reading.

We all would miss his way of putting the folk / history / legendary tales. I hope he has a good successor to take up his job.

R.I.P Mr. Pai
Old 25th February 2011, 20:27   #20
BHPian

This is indeed very sad, he was a pioneer in his field. The characters he bought alive will never die and will live on for generations.

May his soul Rest In peace.Amen.
Old 25th February 2011, 23:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Truly a man who deserves a Bharat Ratna, nothing less, for the manner in which he has influenced 3-4 generations of Indians.
+10,000 to that sir!
I seriously wonder why the government never did acknowledge such a great person like him.

I remember after every school exam I used to eagerly wait for the "Tinkle Digest" which the parents gave me.
Note to self : Must dig out those hundreds of old issues tucked away somewhere in the house.
Old 26th February 2011, 00:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

It was such a sad news when I saw this in the newspaper today. Uncle Pai's Tinkle and ACK had big influenced me and my childhood. It was the somewhere in the early 80's when I started reading Tinkle and ACK and there was no stopping till I was in College. I still vividly remember how eagerly we(me n my sis) used to wait for dad to return from office with the new tinkle or ACK in his shopping bag. To us it was almost like finding some kind of treasure. Now also I do read them sometimes whenever I get a chance. Recently only I've bought a few Amar Chitra Katha's (3 in 1 book) and oh I do enjoy them still. May Uncle Pai's soul rest in peace and thanks a ton to people like him who made our childhood even more colorful.
Old 26th February 2011, 00:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I have some of those books, even today. Truly a gem of a person.

Rest in Peace Uncle Pai.
Old 26th February 2011, 01:35   #24
BHPian

This is damn sad. I spent a lot of my time in school reading Amar Chitra Katha's and Tinkle's. I was even a subscriber at one point of time.

May his soul rest in peace. Thank you for enlightening me with so many facts and stories and for influencing my reading and writing skills.

You will be definitely missed Sir.
Old 26th February 2011, 14:22   #25
BHPian

I was a huge Tinkle fan. I used to have a collection of almost all the issues when I was a kid.
Mr. Pai was like Tolkien (and more) for us Indian kids! Sad to hear about this. RIP!

Last edited by Wolfheart : 26th February 2011 at 14:24.
Old 17th September 2011, 13:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Google has payed homage to the great man on his 82nd birth anniversary , with a doodle devoted to him.

R.I.P. Uncle Pai (Amar Chitra Katha & Tinkle)-anantpaigoogledoodle170911.jpg

Any idea who succeeded him at Amar Chitra Katha ?
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 20:36   #27
BANNED

In a very touching gesture, Google's home page is showing a <whatever they call it> - the small icon about the search box - in commemoration of Anant V. Pai on his birth anniversary.
Old 18th September 2011, 05:46   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

sad news. a good man and a wonderful initiative - amar chitra katha.
indeed those stories are immortal and many of us children growing up in the 1970's and 1980's learned all we did about Indian Mythology through those lovely picture books.
My folks got me the entire set of those over the years and I loved them when I had them.
It is only recently, in 2005, that I took the entire lot out of my house in cartons and donated them to Hippocampus library - intent was for the new gen of little folks to read and enjoy, along with all the rest of my collection of Enid Blyton, William, the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, the Dr Seuss and Ladybird books and a host of other Children's Books which we had amassed in our childhood.

I wonder though whether many kids read all this stuff these days with so many more distractions and high tech toys like PSP 3 and stuff!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks